Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 9:25:33 AM EDT
I just picked up a couple of 50cal surplus ammo cans at my local ARMY surplus store for the purpose of ammo long storage.   I have 2 questions:  First,  It looks like they try to cosmetically refurbish the boxes by just repainting them,  BUT there is rust in some spots, like where the hinges and handles are (where the paint couldn't get to).  The inside looks fine and the rubber seals look good. So my question is, should I be worried about the rust spots effecting the ammo?  And my second question is: IS there anything special I should do before OR when I put the ammo in for long storage???  

Thanks again as usual!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I used a wire brush on them...Sprayed them, inside and out w/rustoleum paint. filled w/ammo, then a sock w/hygroscopic kitty litter.
went once around where the old gasket was with silicone sealant, closed it.

Fine for Years-Takes about 1hr per can inc drying (on a hot dry day).
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top