Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 7:24:18 PM EDT
Do you think it would be ok to store ammo in an ammo can inside a gunsafe with a golden rod beside the ammo can?

It shouldn't get too hot that it would hurt the ammo, right?

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess it's OK as long as your ammo doesn't have allergies.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:13:19 AM EDT
[#2]
It's important to keep them watered, but we haven't had any problems with these.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I shot some 308 that was stored right next to my goldenrod in my safe for the last 33 years, no problems at all, every shot was fine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I am sorry if these are some dumb questions, but what is a "golden rod"? And why would anyone what to keep one in a safe?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the pathetic attempt at humor, above.

From Brownells:

"GOLDENROD DEHUMIDIFIER"
"Warms Gun Safe Air To Eliminate Moisture & Corrosion"

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

From Brownells:

"GOLDENROD DEHUMIDIFIER"
www.brownells.com/Images/Products/111002018.jpg  

Thank you Brillo for explaining it to me!! Now I know.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#7]
My safe is in the basement of our house.  There's a de-humidifier already in the basement which I adjust to keep the humidity at ~ 50%.  I too had the same question as you when I first got my safe not that long ago.  I really contemplated whether I needed a Golden Rod or not, but decided it would be better safe than sorry.  I was a little surprised that the humidity inside the safe would be what I consider a lot lower than the humidity outside of the safe.  The GR keeps the temp. of the air inside the safe ~ 2 deg. higher than what the temp. is outside of the safe.  In addition to the GR I have a disposable dessicant pack that's the size of a softball.  That may be the reason the humidity is a lot lower.

Temp & humidity inside of the safe.

Temp & humidity outside of the safe. (66deg.)

So from experience, I can say that you'll be ok.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you think it would be ok to store ammo in an ammo can inside a gunsafe with a golden rod beside the ammo can?

It shouldn't get too hot that it would hurt the ammo, right?

Are you asking us or telling us?

Personally, I think its completely unnecessary to use anything but the can itself.  Secondly, I wouldn't put ammo in a safe.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Personally, I think its completely unnecessary to use anything but the can itself.  Secondly, I wouldn't put ammo in a safe.

Why not? I'm curious about your reasons since I keep some in my safe.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

From Brownells:

"GOLDENROD DEHUMIDIFIER"
www.brownells.com/Images/Products/111002018.jpg  

Sorry, I couldn't help myself either.  How do you close and lock the safe with the cord pluged in?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How do you close and lock the safe with the cord pluged in?

Most safes have holes for bolting to walls and floors and such.  Just run the cord thru one of those.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most safes have holes for bolting to walls and floors and such.  Just run the cord thru one of those.

Not if it's a fire safe.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not? I'm curious about your reasons since I keep some in my safe.

Well, besides taking up room that I don't have, if it is involved in a fire and happens to be heated to sufficient temperature and cooks off, the safe can act to contain the gasses creating a dangerous situation rather than the ammo just popping off and venting harmlessly.

I'm sure that a small amount isn't dangerous, but a safe full/half full is a bomb waiting to happen.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if it's a fire safe.

My Fort Knox is fire rated and has a single small hole (just big enough for a cord) on the floor for use in lighting, goldenrod, or whatever. You have to attach the plug onto the cord after its threaded through.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm sure that a small amount isn't dangerous, but a safe full/half full is a bomb waiting to happen.

I guess that I was more concerned of the anti-theft part of having the $2000 in ammo stored in the safe rather than leaving it for a crook to take.  Sure, I do not want to lose any of my collection to a fire either, so I guess to each his own.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top