AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=515299
Here's the other thread going on this ammo.

Quoted:
CQB LOAD

Kinda what I was thinking, although at CQB you don't really need the extra velocity.

3 MOA at 200yds is still a hit, if aimed center mass.

Yes, but only if your CQB situation involves a benchrest setup. Otherwise, 3MOA can turn into 6MOA, or 12MOA, or.....

There's no way I'd trade regular 8126N for this new load.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If I recall correctly, frag threshold for 8126N is mid 100 yds or so.  

More like 230 yards from a 20" barrel.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess any benefit this new loading would have then would only really be appreciated in an SBR application then?  Who knows what accuracy would be like from an SBR (10.5"-12.5") with this stuff?  Anyone done any testing?  The shortest I've run it in is 16" 1:9 twist Bushmaster M4 carbine, with accuracy between 3-4 MOA at 100yd.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 5:02:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess any benefit this new loading would have then would only really be appreciated in an SBR application then?  Who knows what accuracy would be like from an SBR (10.5"-12.5") with this stuff?  Anyone done any testing?  The shortest I've run it in is 16" 1:9 twist Bushmaster M4 carbine, with accuracy between 3-4 MOA at 100yd.

I shot a couple of boxes Thursday out of the exact same setup and saw the same results.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot some today (81264) and it shot just as good as the 8126N that i shot before. 24" stag 100yrds.

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=515299
Here's the other thread going on this ammo.

Quoted:
CQB LOAD

Kinda what I was thinking, although at CQB you don't really need the extra velocity.

3 MOA at 200yds is still a hit, if aimed center mass.  If I recall correctly, frag threshold for 8126N is mid 100 yds or so.  Increasing the MV would extend this a bit (maybe not all the way to 200yd) but it would still be close enough that accuracy of the load would not be a real issue.

The velocity is especially necessary if your using it in a shorter barrel. This would be perfect for a 14.5"
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Was out walking my backyard hog trails this morning and happened to see a coyote across a prairie pond into a clearing.

I had loaded my SIGBOY 556 up with the new Hornady 75 grain 5.56mm NATO SuperPerformance ammo.

One shot through the heart at a Leopold Laser measured 172 yards put him down for good.

His other shoulder on the exit side had a hole the size of a baseball.

Entrance wound is right below the forearm:

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think even he noticed the different powder or the faster MV....
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Was out at the woodpile this morning splitting logs with the log splitter and the tractor about 8AM.

It has been record cold here in North Central Florida and my split woodpile has been rapidly shrinking trying to keep warm (record low set today at 18*F).

So I had my trusty Sig Boy 556 Commando leaning against a tree while I split wood and watched 12 does and two spotted bambi's playing with a dozen large gobblers out in the field covered with the early morning frost.

Across the field I noticed some more movement and spied a coyote trying to sneak in to either get a bambi spotted deer baby or one of the gobbler.

Grabbed the SIG 556 and put one Hornady SuperPerformace 75 grain BTHP through his heart at a Leopold Laser measured 198 yards. DOA....

Link Posted: 12/28/2010 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice shot! Got any pics of the exit wound you could PM me or post up?
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I am using him for more coyote bait, so will go out and take a pic of the exit wound.

Indeed this was a great shot today, but I shot at another one yesterday at about the same range and missed....
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is the exit wound from the Hornady SuperPerformance 75 grain BTHP at almost 200 yards, looks like when it went through is chest it did not hit any major bones on the way out.

The round did put him down for the count instantly though.

Here is my log splitting operation, probably a good 50-60 thousand pounds of live oak hardword.

I shot the 'yote in the clearing out in the background....

Here is what is left of my previous coyote that I shot a couple of weeks earlier in this thread....

Coyotes do make great bait for themselves!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Well there goes controlling the rabbit population. Hope you have a good fence around your carrots and cucumbers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well there goes controlling the rabbit population. Hope you have a good fence around your carrots and cucumbers.

It is just the opposite here, I wish I had more rabbits.

The coyotes annihilate the deer, turkey, and cow-calf populations, lost five calves to them recently.

There are hundreds of them, I shoot them on sight.

Besides, my nearest neighbor was out walking her two Shelties and Rotweiler and a pack of coyotes attacked her and ate one of her Shelties and her 110 pound Rotweiler. She escaped with the other Sheltie on a leash and was lucky she did not get attacked herself, this was at 10AM in her driveway in broad daylight.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What's more FUN?

Long range shooting coyotes with your black rifle or eating veggies?
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't worry...where he lives, there are probably 20-25 yotes for every one he actually kills (and no, that's not an exaggeration)...
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Coyotes are much more of a nuisance than rabbits, but I have a feeling you were trolling
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Coyotes are much more of a nuisance than rabbits, but I have a feeling you were trolling

Trolling??? Wow you need to unbunch your panties. For anyone that didn't get it, it was an attempt at humor... attempt being the operative word here. Probably should have used roadrunners instead of rabbits.

EDIT: I totally APOLOGIZE!!!!    ... I didn't know my little comment would cause such a hijack!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's more FUN?

I'm going to go with long range shooting coyotes whilst eating vegetables!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's more FUN?

I'm going to go with long range shooting coyotes whilst eating vegetables!  

HaHa,, even a Vegan can have a good time with a Black Rifle!!! LOL
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 3:33:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Nailed a nice 250 pound boar hog right before sundown last night with the Hornady SuperPerformance 75 grain at 160 yards.

Set the crosshairs on his shoulder -> BLAM -> distinctive loud SMACK.

DOA

Bullet entered about six inches below the top of the spine right above the shoulder and penetrated to his spinal column and destroyed that, no exit wound.

Gutted him out, both lungs were hemorrhaged, heart was intact, spinal column was smashed about the size of my fist. Haven't found the bullet yet but I am going to let him hang in the barn for a few days since it was 18*F here last night and same again tonight.

He will make some great BBQ

Thanks to the Hornady SuperPerformance 75 grain BTHP!
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:54:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Good post as usual,I enjoy reading the results of your hunts/stalks/walks.It looks like the .223 has worked well for you.I know that has alot to do with the shooter and good shot placement.Alot of folks don't like the .223 for deer hunting but I see no reason this round would not work just as well for deer, do you?Most of our deer here in NC are not that big.At 18 degrees there you are just as cold as we are.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Damnit.  

Just when I thought I had the best Hornady has to offer, they up the ante...

Looks like I'll try to grab 10 boxes of the Superformance sometime this year...
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Good post as usual,I enjoy reading the results of your hunts/stalks/walks.It looks like the .223 has worked well for you.I know that has alot to do with the shooter and good shot placement.Alot of folks don't like the .223 for deer hunting but I see no reason this round would not work just as well for deer, do you?Most of our deer here in NC are not that big.At 18 degrees there you are just as cold as we are.

As is quite evident from all of Molon's outstanding posts on ammo performance and accuracy, first you absolutely must know your equipment - the rifle, the optics, the ammo, and your capabilities.

You've got to practice, practice, practice before you ever take your sights off of paper and head out into the woods to harvest game.

I never shoot anything unless I am totally confident that I can make a clean humane kill.

No matter what rifle, caliber or ammo you have, you don't just wildly shoot some hog or deer in the arse as it is running away.

That said, I am totally confident that I could kill any southern whitetail buck using the 5.56mm NATO  Hornady SuperPerformance 75 grain BTHP in my weapon out to 200 yards with proper shot placement. I have killed many many hogs up to 500 pounds out to 225 yards with my current setup, only having to administer a coup de grace one or two times, the others were all DOA.

You absolutely have to know that when you pull that trigger for an instant, you had better have your knife sharp because you'll be spending the next four hours with it in your hands....

BTW, you also must know anatomy good too. I did manage to graduate from veterinary school over 30 years ago in exotic zoological wildlife and have had plenty of experience with a large animals and sharp knife. Unfortunately, that did not help me from taking a nice chunk out of my left hand with my Chicago Cultery butcher knife that I've been using these last 3+ decades while I was skinning this hog...... Ouchy Momma
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top