Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2014 1:22:15 AM EDT
So I just picked up my first 80% lowers from Anderson, and neither of them have the bolt catch spring/detent hole drilled.
I don't so much mind drilling them out myself, but am having a hard time finding all the specs I need.
Need hole diameter,depth and location.
Anybody have any ideas?
I already have a jig and it does not have the hole drilled in it for this function.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:18:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Chapter 3, page 15

Machining the AR15

Just measured the depth at .574 on the Tactical Machining lower I have. 1/32 past the centerline would be 0.581 on my lower.

measured from surface
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome!
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:55:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Your welcome...good luck with your project.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. Not typically a step that needs to be addressed on an 80% project.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Just curious but is that normal for them? Maybe they missed it on your lower, I would shoot them an email or call and see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine was missing always bought it awhile back
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Anderson states they got their BATF letter without the bolt catch plunger/spring hole drilled.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just curious but is that normal for them? Maybe they missed it on your lower, I would shoot them an email or call and see what they have to say.
View Quote

They neglected to drill it oh well. Figure one tackling an 80% has enough skill to do one more step for a finished lower, hopefully.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you on your own in regards to drilling this, ie; the supplied jigs do not usually locate and line-up this hole location for you ?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
FYI
I got a BTR innovations jig at the same time I got my Anderson lowers mainly because it was cheap.
Luckily their jig has a pin that locates in that hole.
I simply removed the pin and drilled that hole first … put the pin back in and pressed on

Its 5/32  x  0.470 deep
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
back in the olden days that hole wasn't drilled (along with the threads for the receiver extension)
rules and configurations of less than 100% lowers have changed a few times. .
my first gen. CNC Gunsmithing jig has provisions for that hole and the bolt hold open pin hole.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:01:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are you on your own in regards to drilling this, ie; the supplied jigs do not usually locate and line-up this hole location for you ?
View Quote

Yes, I am on my own. My jig does not have this hole in it.
I'll shoot them an email and see what they say.
I'm not to concerned drilling it myself though. With the correct location and depth it should be pretty easy.
Thanks for the input everyone.
I hope to be doing this in the next week or so and will report back.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Copy the PDF shown in the post above, it's got all the info you need to machine a lower from a paper weight. Look at page 16, it has your answer for depth and size.
Look at all the reference info given, everything is given related to the position of the pivot pin, the center of this pivot pin is .250 below the deck height, (top of lower) Once you understand this, figuring out the hole location is not tough to do. Measure the thickness of your lower, they are all slightly different widths. The point is figuring out exactly where your center line is. This hole is not exactly critical in depth like the safety detent hole is.
Just center your hole in the existing slot.
.194 + .250 = .444, so .444 down from the top deck is your center line of the needed hole.  And .03125 deeper past the center line of the lower. my last one was about .880 thick, .440 + .03125 = .47125 was my drill depth. All of this info is on page 16. Ray Vin did an excellent job putting that guide together Although I did find a few very minor mistakes, that most people would catch before cutting on a blank paper weight.
Enjoy building that 80 lower.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Copy the PDF shown in the post above, it's got all the info you need to machine a lower from a paper weight. Look at page 16, it has your answer for depth and size.
Look at all the reference info given, everything is given related to the position of the pivot pin, the center of this pivot pin is .250 below the deck height, (top of lower) Once you understand this, figuring out the hole location is not tough to do. Measure the thickness of your lower, they are all slightly different widths. The point is figuring out exactly where your center line is. This hole is not exactly critical in depth like the safety detent hole is.
Just center your hole in the existing slot.
.194 + .250 = .444, so .444 down from the top deck is your center line of the needed hole.  And .03125 deeper past the center line of the lower. my last one was about .880 thick, .440 + .03125 = .47125 was my drill depth. All of this info is on page 16. Ray Vin did an excellent job putting that guide together Although I did find a few very minor mistakes, that most people would catch before cutting on a blank paper weight.
Enjoy building that 80 lower.
View Quote

Awesome. thanks cody!
The guide is awesome. I think I am going to read it front to back before doing anything.
This will be my first 80% ar build.
I have built several ak rifles from 80% flat receivers, but this is all new to me.
With an AK, you can nearly locate holes like throwing darts at a dartboard and it will function fine. LOL
I would love to get this perfect the first time around, but just in case, I have 2 80s and worst case, any mistakes I may make on the first, I sure as hell won't on the second.
Thanks again for everyones help and guidance.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I called and asked Anderson the question, they say that this is the configuration that they submitted for their "Letter Of Determination" and there is no going back. It was a great price for a quality lower but it would have been nice to know beforehand that their 80% lower is different than the majority of the rest of them.
Below is a diagram and specs I created after I realized there would be others with the same problem.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:08:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I called and asked Anderson the question, they say that this is the configuration that they submitted for their "Letter Of Determination" and there is no going back. It was a great price for a quality lower but it would have been nice to know beforehand that their 80% lower is different than the majority of the rest of them.
Below is a diagram and specs I created after I realized there would be others with the same problem.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg212/mirion/AR/AndersonMod_zps0cf997b7.jpg
View Quote

Awesome diagram!
Thank you!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top