Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2006 8:54:05 PM EDT
How does everyone like Wolf .30 carbine in their M1s? Does it cycle reliably? Less than $0.15 per round at Sportsmans Guide.

Has anyone tried the Aguila 30 carbine stuff? Cole Distributing has it for $189 per 1k. Is this good ammo? Hot?

And finally can someone recommend some good self defense SHTF ammo for my new M1 carbine?

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep.

The Wolf .30 car shoots fine. My WWII Carbine ("Inland-GM") is one of my favorites. Love the little damn thing!

Dunno about a good self-defense load, tho a lead "soft point" round is pretty common and Speer makes a good .30 carbine jacketed hollowpoint if you reload.

As far as "self-defense"

.30 carbine effectiveness

Audie Murphy loved his carbine!
Good enough for him--good enough for me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I just bought 500 rounds of soft point from Georgia Arms.

I have a great shooting (but collectable) United Postal Meter carbine and I think it will be a great back back up SHTF weapon.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Jeep,

Cor-Bon just brought out 30 Carbine in the DPX line......

Ought to be just the ticket for SD and bambi bashing.

Early reports indicate expansion with complete Penetration on large White Tail.

Ain't cheap though

Best of luck to ya!!
S-28
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Jeep,

Cor-Bon just brought out 30 Carbine in the DPX line......

Ought to be just the ticket for SD and bambi bashing.

Early reports indicate expansion with complete Penetration on large White Tail.

Ain't cheap though

Best of luck to ya!!
S-28
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#6]
The best current ammunition choice for the M1 Carbine is the Remington 110 gr JSP (R30CAR)—at an average velocity of 1864 f/s, it expands to .54” to .58” and penetrates 13” to 16” whether in bare gelatin, through automobile windshields, or Level IIIa body armor. This is as good as many .223’s. M1 carbines have a poor reputation when using GI ball ammo, but good expanding bullets offer a stunning leap in incapacitation potential and should cause us to rethink the M1 carbine for civilian self-defence or even LE patrol duties. It is easy to shoot, inexpensive, and is well accepted by the public.  The Winchester 110 gr JSP works reasonably well, but has a bit smaller permanent wound channel compared to the Remington load. Generally the Federal 110 gr JSP carbine bullet acts just like ball without any expansion. Hornady 90 gr JHP-XTP bullets offered insufficient penetration when fired from the carbine.  Preliminary results indicate the new Barnes all copper 100 gr X-bullets for the .30 carbine to be a good choice, although we have not finished testing.

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up some of the Wolf .30 and had the time to try out 50 rds of it last weekend. I took my Saginaw carbine and at the 50 yrd range was putting up ok groups of about 4 to 5 inches. Not great , but I just wanted to test function with this ammo. The one thing I noticed is that it produced a bit of smoke and a couple times it seemed to kick some material back towards my face. Nothing major , but I could feel something small like a grain of sand hit me once or twice. I examined the casings and saw no signs of deformity and ejection was positive and consistent.

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's my experience with Wolf in .30 Carbine:

Wolf .30 Carbine
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanky, Old_Painless!

Always a pleasure to hear from you with your down-to-earth and "real life" testing!
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
No problem with my IJ and WOlf
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#11]
has anyone tried reeds ammunition's 30 carbine loads? i just ordered 2 boxes of 90gr xtp bullets. i will let you know how it works.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Wolf and my Winchester work about 95% of the time. out of 500 rounds I will have ejection failures (not stuck in the chamber) about 20 times. It is noticably weaker.

I have an extra op-rod spring, I was thinking about snipping a few coils off to see if it would improve.

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I have some Lake City ammo I got from the CMP when they still had it 4-5 years ago and its noticeably more powerful than nearly anything else I have tried.  Including Korean military surplus which surprised me...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I ran 100 rounds of Wolf through my Underwood and it worked fine.  However, the ammo is dirtier than the American ammo I've shot; I believe that the steel case doesn't obturate as well as brass, so just be sure to clean your chamber well after shooting it.  Failure to do so can cause extraction difficulties if you then shoot brass cased ammo.  Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

WRT to SHTF ammo, I plan to stock up on some Remington JSPs, based on (a) Doctor Robert's test results, and (b) the fact that it functions well in both of my Carbines (the Underwood and a Rock Ola).
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Wolf runs a little dirty but mostly flawless through 2 of my carbines.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top