Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2010 2:32:46 PM EDT
I'm looking to shoot at something other than paper. Something like a metal gong. I have found a few on line but they are not cheap. Is there any home made tricks you guys use to have a reactive type target so you can see or hear that you have a hit and not have to look through a spotting scope or binocs after every shot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]
We (me and my brother) welded an old disc to some chains and hung it from a bar across two fence posts. At 300 yards it got pretty tore up because its pretty brittle stuff but we have 100 or more so that isn't a problem. I want to try and weld one to a spring we have laying around and then weld it to something. So it will maybe fall back then spring back up.

I feel I need to MS paint this. One moment please.

Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We (me and my brother) welded an old disc to some chains and hung it from a bar across two fence posts. At 300 yards it got pretty tore up because its pretty brittle stuff but we have 100 or more so that isn't a problem. I want to try and weld one to a spring we have laying around and then weld it to something. So it will maybe fall back then spring back up.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/1f5f0ba6.jpg

I didi the "old idea" but put the disc on another plate and bent it so the top of the target faced down for deflection, then put a piece of round stock through it so it would swivel.  I put three discs together since they are thin.

I also used discs for the base of my stand...My dad has a ton of these and is determined to get rid of them

Worked well!
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Wideners sells pretty cheap steal targets. Granted they are not great but they will due. It dimples & craters a little after uses, but it works. Your on your own for mounting them.
Get creative, on garbage days drive around & see what people throw out. I found a 3 level metal TV cart that broke down easy. I use the shelves for targets. The bullets fly through it but it's better then plain paper make some noise. I have some old truck tailgates & doors to use as well I found locally on Ebay cheap.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didi the "old idea" but put the disc on another plate and bent it so the top of the target faced down for deflection, then put a piece of round stock through it so it would swivel.  I put three discs together since they are thin.

I also used discs for the base of my stand...My dad has a ton of these and is determined to get rid of them

Worked well!

Thats too much work. lol. We welded 3 discs together but they're so brittle it just broke the welds. I am going to try the spring idea maybe over spring break. If it doesn't work then I will try something else. Thats what I love about living on a farm, tons of junk to try to create things, if it doesn't work, cut it up and try again. Also all the freaking land I have to hunt fish and shoot on. I am lucky.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worked well!

Thats too much work. lol. We welded 3 discs together but they're so brittle it just broke the welds. I am going to try the spring idea maybe over spring break. If it doesn't work then I will try something else. Thats what I love about living on a farm, tons of junk to try to create things, if it doesn't work, cut it up and try again. Also all the freaking land I have to hunt fish and shoot on. I am lucky.

I am from BFE in South Dakota, same story.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Thats kinda like what I use only the discs are off of an old planter so they are smaller, thinner, and more brittle, and less expensive I bet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
New discs can be ordered for $10-20. They are heavy so shipping is a bit high.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Make friends with a welder. A few years ago me and 2 friends put $400 a piece in and bought a 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" 500 Brinnel steel, some angle iron and rods. I had a welder friend cut them into trapezoid that were 12" across the top, 8" at the bottom and 2' tall. By using that design, we got 20 plates faces. Then we welded up bases and voila had economical pepper poppers. $1200 got us 20 rifle rated targets that would have been $7000 if I had ordered them.

This vid shows the targets in action, with pistols not rifles. I am not shooting steel that close with rifle.

http://www.willowrow.com/todd/video/082309%20boom.wmv
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#11]
i have one. ill have to post a pic, worked well for quite a period of time. mostly as a pistol target, problem with steel it develops huge craters or holes with 223 and 7.62 ammo.

now its mostly shredded from years of abuse a closeup look might resemble the lunar surface. i used 1/2"plate and a rebar framework. the rebar is 3/4" and is shot thru in one place at least. lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 1/17/2010 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Newbold makes reactive polymer targets. The will take thousands of hits. They "knock down", then return to the upright position. I have never used any, but I have been meaning to buy some.
http://www.newboldtargets.com/
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Check with a local welder or machine / Sheet metal shop. Some have stuff just laying around they would be more than happy to throw something together for you.

I had my local guy make me a swinger with angle iron, stell pipe and 3/4" plate steel. He made me 2 both for rifle. One is 4" for 200yards and under and one is 10" for over 200yards.

When i am feeling real lucky I shoot at the 4" at 400yards. I used to use a wheeled cart to move around but now I use my 2 boys 8 and 11.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
goggle portatarget. I bought a high power silhouette for $270 shipped and after thousands of rounds, not one dimple or crater..
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#16]

STAY AWAY from that 1st EBay one. POS. The plate lasted 1 mag of federal 5.56. Made huge creators & a few almost went through. The hanging hardware is junk as are the chains it comes with. Biggest waste of my $.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#17]
EVIL ROY target gets my vote!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJDj11J_ewE
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#18]
When we go shooting we usually just buy a box of clay pigeons from wal-mart and set them up at what i'm guessing to be 150 yards. When you hit one you know it so it makes it easy and its very cheap at about 10 cents a piece.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When we go shooting we usually just buy a box of clay pigeons from wal-mart and set them up at what i'm guessing to be 150 yards. When you hit one you know it so it makes it easy and its very cheap at about 10 cents a piece.

I also do this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#21]
reactive targets, you say?

We also use discs at 375 yards. They seem pretty brittle; they only last a couple shots.

One year, we set out some harder steel. It lasted a couple hours, but people kept hitting the chains and dropping them down.

Last year, I strung up some paracord between some trees and hung targets from them. If the targets had been steel, it probably would have worked well for what you want. They bounced around a lot in the wind.

Link Posted: 1/17/2010 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I love shooting steel plates. Rarely shoot paper unless trying to obtain a precise Zero with my sights.

What you need is to find a metal scrap dealer and find some armor plate - very hard and won't get all pocked with bullet holes like regular steel. I found a Caterpillar bulldozer blade edge and use that as a steel target. It's the hardest steel I've ever seen. The most powerful rifles just leave a smudge of lead on it like a crayon smudge. From .223 to .458 Win you CANNOT hurt this stuff. It's amazing. I've never used AP ammo though, maybe that will go through? It's 3" thick.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love shooting steel plates. Rarely shoot paper unless trying to obtain a precise Zero with my sights.

What you need is to find a metal scrap dealer and find some armor plate - very hard and won't get all pocked with bullet holes like regular steel. I found a Caterpillar bulldozer blade edge and use that as a steel target. It's the hardest steel I've ever seen. The most powerful rifles just leave a smudge of lead on it like a crayon smudge. From .223 to .458 Win you CANNOT hurt this stuff. It's amazing. I've never used AP ammo though, maybe that will go through? It's 3" thick.

The armor plate that will stand up to high velocity rifle fire is not cheap or easy to find.  The 500 Brinell steel needed is to my knowledge not even produced in the US.  It is imported from Europe and not likely to be found cheap in a scrap yard.  What you can find in a scrap yard though is high pressure oxygen cylinders that are beyond their service life.  They are very strong and after you cut off a couple inches of the bottom they ring loud enough to be heard at 400 yards or more when hung from a short length of chain welded to the top.  They are relatively cheap, they are a perfect shape, they hold up well, and they provide great audible feedback.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The armor plate that will stand up to high velocity rifle fire is not cheap or easy to find.  The 500 Brinell steel needed is to my knowledge not even produced in the US.  It is imported from Europe and not likely to be found cheap in a scrap yard.  What you can find in a scrap yard though is high pressure oxygen cylinders that are beyond their service life.  They are very strong and after you cut off a couple inches of the bottom they ring loud enough to be heard at 400 yards or more when hung from a short length of chain welded to the top.  They are relatively cheap, they are a perfect shape, they hold up well, and they provide great audible feedback.

Wirebrush,

What on earth do you think that Caterpillar blade/tooth material is made of? OMG I never knew steel could be so hard, it's amazing whatever it is!!! But yes, not easy to find.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a design I just made up. Not sure how well it performs since I haven't made one yet because I have no place to set it up.
White = Frame, PVC (easiest & cheapest), Wood, Metal (Stronger, more expensive & time consuming)
                        {PVC = need T joints, 2 Y joints, (PVC diameter, height, & glue? is personal preferance)}
Red = Metal targets
Yellow = Chains, bungees, rope... (rear line is to hold target at a downward angle for deflection)
Green = Optional additional support arms for paper targets
Blue = Optional bar for misc targets
Pink = Misc. targets (Clays, Cans..)
If frame gets hit, quick fix is duct tape or replacement is still cheap but takes a bit time longer.
All together, stand should be less than $25, not including metal targets..not sure the cost of them.
An idea for a reactive explosion target is a balloon filled with some flour & rest filled with air. Should go POOFFF??
http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/1/W/161b2660/1/50/eXGZ-lHG7j_EUc5QQHqQ2CcWB99fstYa.jpg
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I use 1/2" thick Abrasion Restant(AR) steel
3/8" will work but will crater up pretty bad
Magna braise steel also works and is a little cheaper
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the cylinder idea. Makes perfect sense. I have a company down the street (2 blocks from my local sheet metal shop) that has these just laying around. Last time i was there they had about 150-200. Scrap is so cheap its not worth there time to haul to the scrap yard but once or twice a year. I will pay them a visit on Tuesday. I can post there location if they are selling and anyone in my area is interested. I am outside Orlando.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top