Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/9/2010 6:07:02 AM EDT
I have a RRA Coyote upper (20") with the 223 Wylde chamber.
After roughly 100-150 rounds I start getting failure to chamber problems.
Sometimes I have to tap on the charging handle to extract the unfired cartridge.
The unfired round comes out with a black ring around the shoulder of the case.
The same round will chamber and fire in any of my other AR's.
Yes these are handloads but, I run every round through a go-no go tool to check.
After a good cleaning the rifle is good to go for another 100-150 rounds before it happens again.
I have considered getting a .223 chamber flex hone to try and polish this chamber and see if it helps.
Is this a bad idea?
Since it is nearly new should I just send it back to RRA and let them look at it?
Or, is this just the nature of this chamber and I'll have to be content with cleaning it every 100 rounds or so?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#2]
"seat your hand loads back a tad and you'll be fine."

You mean the shoulder, or overall length?
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#4]
The chamber's just a little tighter than the other rifles you've tried the ammo in. Screw your resizing die down just a little more, no more than 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn to shorten the headspace slightly. the shoulder needs the set back, not the OAL.

I doubt the OAL is the cause of your problem, unless your ammo won't fit in a magazine. No magazine fed rounds will jam the rifling on an AR15.

There are few exceptions. Speer's 70 grain SP bullet must be seated deeper, if you are using it do so.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm loading Sierra 69gr BT HP match bullets.
Overall length is 2.255
Case length is 1.760
Shoulder is 1.439
Loading with AA 2520

Down a little on the resize die?
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a RRA Std A4 upper, also chambered in .223 Wylde, that would not function with 5.56, it was too tight and as result would constantly blow primers.  I didn't care about the benefits of the .223  Wydle chamber so I had it reamed with a 5.56 reamer and it functioned flawlessly from there on.

This is one of the reasons why I will never own another RRA upper.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:11:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Overall length is 2.255
Case length is 1.760
Shoulder is 1.439
Loading with AA 2520

Your cases are at max length.  Why?
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the same issues with both of my Wylde chambered AR's using standard RCBS die sets.  

I bought a small base resizing die and I haven't had a problem since.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm sorry for your problem. I have the RRA NM upper, also in the Wylde chamber. I have had no problems what so ever. It feeds and ejects everything I put in it. This includes my hand loads as well as factory 5.56 and .223. This may be something to call RRA about.

EDIT: I use Lee Carbide dies and a Lee Trimming tool to trim to length. I only load 55 grain FMJ BT (Hornady) and crimp every round.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm using Dillon dies (carbide) on a 550
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Trim your brass to ~1.750"

You're running the cases at max length . . .why I don't know . . .
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overall length is 2.255
Case length is 1.760
Shoulder is 1.439
Loading with AA 2520

+1, I was wondering the same thing.

OP, try trimming 10-thou under...it will also square up the neck. Watch out for contact between the shell-holder and die body on those carbides.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overall length is 2.255
Case length is 1.760
Shoulder is 1.439
Loading with AA 2520

+1, I was wondering the same thing.

OP, try trimming 10-thou under...it will also square up the neck. Watch out for contact between the shell-holder and die body on those carbides.

Busy morning, thats what I meant to say. the OAL of the case, which when you set up the sizing die, based on the trimmed length will set the shoulder back.
If you dont have one yet, buy a Giraud Trimmer - best investment you'll ever make in hand loading equipment..

Some of my once fired brass as right at 10-thou under after sizing...most was in the range of 1.760"-1.755".

Heard about that Giraud, but I'm new to handloading so I'm using pretty basic stuff ATM. Was playing with the idea of attaching the DeWalt to my Forster trimmer to speed the process up...lol. My loads are geared towards precision and consistency; the speed in which I can produce them isn't too good, especially with basic tools...no big deal though, it's not meant to be blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#15]
You are shooting handloads.  If you originally shot the brass in a GI MILSPEC chamber your brass may have "Swollen" to the fatter chamber's dimensions.

If you full-length sized using a Dillon die your cases will be fine in the original chambers.  Your Wylde chamber is tighter than your MILSPECS, which is the equivalent of trying to stuff a fat case into a tighter chamber (with resultant hard extraction).

A drop-in case gage will only tell you if cases were properly resized by shoulder-to-base dimension, and if the cases are too long or short.  You will need to check case dimensions above the extractor groove to tell if they're too fat for the Wylde chamber.

Check unfired cases; cases fired from your MILSPEC chambers; and cases resized using your Dillon die.

As mentioned a small-base die will size cases closer to original unfired dimension.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the replies, fellas.

I'll get to trimming and set the re-size down a tad.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Do one of the two and see if that fixes it, otherwise you won't know what caused the problem for sure. Aftre you try one (either the trim length or resizing more) and it doesn't work, then try the other solution.

Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You are shooting handloads.  If you originally shot the brass in a GI MILSPEC chamber your brass may have "Swollen" to the fatter chamber's dimensions.

If you full-length sized using a Dillon die your cases will be fine in the original chambers.  Your Wylde chamber is tighter than your MILSPECS, which is the equivalent of trying to stuff a fat case into a tighter chamber (with resultant hard extraction).

A drop-in case gage will only tell you if cases were properly resized by shoulder-to-base dimension, and if the cases are too long or short.  You will need to check case dimensions above the extractor groove to tell if they're too fat for the Wylde chamber.

Check unfired cases; cases fired from your MILSPEC chambers; and cases resized using your Dillon die.

As mentioned a small-base die will size cases closer to original unfired dimension.

I have the opposite problem. The Wylde in my RRA barrel with swallow neck sized 5.56 brass from my BCM barrel.

The RRA brass has to be full-length sized and the should bumped back .002" to chamber in the BCM, though most of the clearance issues are at the shoulder and web.

Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I know this is a crazy question.
What did RRA say
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 3:27:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What did RRA say

Said it was my handloads.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 4:35:10 AM EDT
[#21]
What happens with factory loads now?  The black ring around the shoulder and difficulty extracting are issues not always 100% related to the issues described above. If you now have issues with factory loads, you may have a ring in the chamber or other chamber damage.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did RRA say

Said it was my handloads.

Might just be. Take a look at some factory rounds and measure the shoulders to compare them to your reloads. Also measure some fired from your chamber. Your shoulder at 1.439" seems off. The brass from MY rifles has never measured over 1.438". I think that is the max spec. I would bump your shoulders back some more and see what happens then.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Get a Dillion Sizing die. Solved all my problems. My reloads work flawlessly in my Nato and Wylde chambers after switching to this die
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I full length resize all of my rounds with Lee dies and have thousands through my Wylde chambere rifles without issue.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#25]
There really isn't that much of a delta in the body/shoulder dimensions between a Wylde chamber and a NATO or .223 chamber.  The big deltas are in the throat/leade area.

I would set your resizer to bump the shoulder about .003" from a fired case.  That should ensure reliable feeding, assuming there's nothing wrong with the way your chamber was cut.  You can go with a mall base resizer, which will squeeze your cases down a tad more, but I've always stayed away from those thinking they are a solutio to correct a larger problem with the chambering.  If you still have problems after these steps, I'd send it back to Rock River for examination/replacement.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#26]
While there is not a lot of difference between Nato and Wylde chambers. I have noticed there is a much greater difference to sized dimensions between die manufactures. Playing with the setup will set the shoulder properly. But not all brands of dies size the base enough. For my AR I prefer Dillion for that reason. It's not a small base die per say. But it's designed to size to minimum spec's. It works very well for me. YMMV.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top