BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 2:42:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The screw in pins can be swaped easily with a standard push pin and detent. I swapped mine out. The pins that are different are the fire control pins. Hammer trigger are .176 vs .155 for mil spec.
Pat
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm confuse by all of Colt's nonstandard crap too.

Off the top of my head for various models:

unchromed bores
plastic buffers
.311 pivot pins
oversized fire control pins
nuetered bayo lugs
sear blocks
plastic trap doors

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Colts have had standard sized pushpins since at least the mid-90s, maybe around 90 with the white label guns.  The fire control pins are oversized. I've never seen a Colt woth a non-chrome bore except for that 1 with the 24" stainless barrel.

Get the Colt, you'll never regret it!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do the LE models have non-standard hammer and trigger pivot pins or just the filthy civilian models?

The 6450, 6520, 6721 and 6920 all use the large hammer/trigger pins.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the problem with the front screw pin on the Colt?  In a fire fight with your weapon broken down(folded in half)would you want your troops to have have there uppers seperated from the lower?  That would put much more pressure to get the weapon back together under fire!

Broken in half is the best way for a combat weapon to be!!  Kind of like a FAL (yep it has a screw)also!

You guys that bash Colt for the front take-down screw have no idea of why it is there!

KISS   you don't need to take your rifle into!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do the LE models have non-standard hammer and trigger pivot pins or just the filthy civilian models?

The 6450, 6520, 6721 and 6920 all use the large hammer/trigger pins.

Wow!!  I guess I feel better about my SP1 with its large screw pivot and standard sized hammer and trigger pins. Not that I fealt bad about it in the first place.....  

And for more confusion, not all screw type pivots are the big size. I have an early 1990's R6830 (7.62x39) that has a screw pivot, but it's standard M16 diameter. Replacing the pivot with a standard M16 pivot pin was a no-brainer. I kept the screw of course - no telling what some eclectic collector might value some day.

ETA:

Quoted:
The screw in pins can be swaped easily with a standard push pin and detent. I swapped mine out. The pins that are different are the fire control pins. Hammer trigger are .176 vs .155 for mil spec.
Pat

They made rifles with standard diameter screw type pivot pins, but they made a whole bunch with a larger pivot pin diameter, thus the adapter kits that are on the market.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The pins that are different are the fire control pins. Hammer trigger are .176 vs .155 for mil spec.

Just a slight correction -- the large pins are .170".
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The LE guns have the standard front and rear pushpins but ( as was noted ) use the large ( .170 ) fire control group pins ).....hey....bigger is tougher...right?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What is the problem with the front screw pin on the Colt?  In a fire fight with your weapon broken down(folded in half)would you want your troops to have have there uppers seperated from the lower?  That would put much more pressure to get the weapon back together under fire!

Broken in half is the best way for a combat weapon to be!!  Kind of like a FAL (yep it has a screw)also!

You guys that bash Colt for the front take-down screw have no idea of why it is there!

KISS   you don't need to take your rifle into!

Bob

Why would anyone want to clean their rifle during a firefight? Ifyou have a stoppage that would require opening the rifle up, then by all means just push out the take down pin & pivot it open. Having a standard front pivot pin pin does not obligate you to use it to separate the 2 halves, It just gives you the option & convenience of doing so.

The take down screw on Colts is for civilian models & is an attempt to make it harder for a civilian to place an M16 upper on their semi lower.The uppers on semi guns have no clearance cut for the auto sear.

What do you not need to take your rifle into? Or did you mean to say "in two"? The word two meaning the #2, in turn meaning 2 separate pieces
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top