Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2002 1:16:39 PM EDT
Lovely that it appears the search function has gotten feet and ran off!  That or I'm blind... either is possible.  Anyway,  I have an ArmaLite M15A2 Carbine (16") and wanted to know if someone could point me to a good document on zeroing a rifle of this length properly.  I would have searched, but like I said, I don't see the search function where it used to be.

Thanks!

==========================

Just found this... maybe someone could just verify for me if this is the proper way to do this:

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/officialm16a2zeromethod.msnw
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Once you go to the above link (thanks for the plug Aimpless) use the LTC Santose's Improved Battle Sight Zero.  It really is the best method for everything but CMP competiton.

Edited to Add:
You don't want to use the 'official' M16A2 zero for 2 reasons:
1) You're shooting a carbine, and the 'official' zero is for a rifle (there are differences due to MV and adjustment per click).

2) The 'Official' zero method is wrong, and the Army knows it.  If you follow it your round will be around 10" HIGH at 300M!!  The Army was supposed to come out with a new FM23-9 in 1998 with a new procedure but hasn't published the manual as yet.

Follow the IBSZ instructions.  LTC Santose knows his stuff and the zero is great (and it PROPERLY calibrates the dial).

It was designed for M4 carbines shooting M855 but has been found to work with 16" carbines and Rifles with either M855 or M193 to at least 400M (and 'close enough' at 500M).
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Great... I'll look at it as soon as the site gets back online as it appears now it has ceased to pull up.  By chance is this same guide hosted anywhere else for me to view it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Great... I'll look at it as soon as the site gets back online as it appears now it has ceased to pull up.  By chance is this same guide hosted anywhere else for me to view it?

Thanks!

The site is up (and was all day).  The info may be hosted elsewhere (try using google).  The Colonel sent me the article for posting, but I know he's given other people permission to use it, and he's posted the technique on this board in the past.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Another quick question about zeroing.  Adjusting the front post... I know there is a tool, but I don't have one at my disposal.  I had thought about needle noxe pliars, which would work, but high potential to remove the protective finish on the post, and leave little gashes in it.  Any little "trade tricks" for adjusting it w/o the tool for it and not causing any damage to it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't have the tool then a cartridge works just fine (its the 'tool' listed in the -10).  Its slow, but its what we used in Basic Training.

The other option, if you've got good hand/eye coordination is to depress the plunger with a finishing nail (and hold it down) and turn the post as many notches as you want.

While you're at the site listed above go do the AR Manuals section follow the links to the manuals and download the Operator's Manual [the -10]).

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top