Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2007 10:52:29 AM EDT
Hey all,
In exploring my options for having a (non-NFA) XM177E2 upper built, I've started thinking about the moderator.

From what I've gleaned here, Total Silence makes the best ones.  Are they out of business?  

Anyone have one of 45Bravo's?

Also, how long is the moderator?  From one of AR15barrels.com's threads, it seems like if the barrel is 12.5" and the fake moderator is pinned/welded on, I'll be OK in the eyes of the ATF.  I just need to know, how short I can go on the barrel and still be 16.1" (also, why the extra .1 if 16" is legal?  Is it just to CYA?)

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll have to measure my moderator when I get home tonight.

My suggestion would be :

Buy post-ban lightweight barrel

Buy Grenade Ring

Buy Moderator

Send all of the above to manufacturer of your choice with instructions to chop and thread the barrel, add grenade ring (make sure they permanently attach it facing the right way) and moderator, and pin and weld in place for an overall length of 16.1".

They will figure out the combined overall length to get you legal.

Also instruct them to open the gas port to 0.085" for reliable functioning.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Tom is not making them anymore I dont think but he is a member here and you could probably PM him and ask him if he has any. He goes by WA-Tom I believe.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Another thing, on how long the barrel has to be to make it 16.1" I couldn't tell you. I had a VERY respected builder do mine for me and it turned out to be almost 16.5"
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
WA-tom is still a member here and can probably hook you up if you send him a PM. I got my TS Inc. E2 moderator in July with grenade ring and split ring washer. Before you order a barrel, contact whomever you plan on doing the cutting and get their input on how you should proceed. A1 barrels are thin enough that they are machined with a shoulder behind the muzzle threading to support the muzzle device. I'm not sure if the split ring washer has a sharp enough edge to serve as the sole support for the device.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it safe to assume his moderators are top-shelf?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I just recently finished a 9mm build using one of 45Bravo’s 4½” moderators and grenade ring.  Steve at ADCO shortened a 16” Rock River 9mm barrel to slightly over 12” and rethreaded the barrel and pinned/welded the moderator. Here’s how it came out.

Link Posted: 8/7/2007 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is it safe to assume his moderators are top-shelf?

Yes.  All three of these were from TSI:

Link Posted: 8/7/2007 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Another thing, on how long the barrel has to be to make it 16.1" I couldn't tell you. I had a VERY respected builder do mine for me and it turned out to be almost 16.5"

Do you know how long your barrel actually is then, DM?

I'm curious too, about how the chop and re-thread works without the shoulder on the lightwight barrels.

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Colt lightweight bbl
45 Bravo non-NFA Moderator/ring
slick side upper
Threads by Randall, just tell him you want it 16.1" OAL and he will work out the measurements. you barrel length = 16.1"OAL  - 4.5" (moderator OAL) + 0.50." thread engagement
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top