Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2023 3:40:37 PM EDT
Well I didn't feel like messing with registering my braced 9mm Colt SMG clone so I pinned and welded a fake XM177 flash hider on instead. The fake XM flash hider is from Kak Industries. I ended up using an 1/8" end mill instead of a drill bit since there is not much material to drill into for a pin. I sure did not want to go all the way through one side and into the bore.

Any way here it is.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File
Nice OP, I had John Thomas do my P&W.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine is a FFL with his SOT. So I went to his shop to use the milling machine the other day and also drool over his collection.

I did cheat a little. I used a crush washer since I didn't have a grenade ring handy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
nice build!  

I like the look and it's legal 16
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
nice build!  

I like the look and it's legal 16
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice! Congratulations.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If it qualified I would've FreeBR'ed it.  A Colt SBR with no Joe Schmoe name scribbled on it with electropen? And at no cost?  Yeah.... I woulda FreeBR'ed that one quick.

That said, I do like the look, true classic
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it qualified I would've FreeBR'ed it.  A Colt SBR with no Joe Schmoe name scribbled on it with electropen? And at no cost?  Yeah.... I woulda FreeBR'ed that one quick.

That said, I do like the look, true classic
View Quote
Thanks for the compliment.

I didn't bother with the free Form 1 because I didn't feel comfortable with it considering everything going on. Plus mine is not a Colt lower, it is a CMMG lower.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#8]
That turned out great!
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Both of those look good.

Are you both using drop in mag blocks for the Colt mags?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Both of those look good.

Are you both using drop in mag blocks for the Colt mags?
View Quote
Mine is a dedicated CMMG lower, so no mag blocks required.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File
I bought a used Colt adapter to use but as it had already been pinned the two shops I tried didn't want to install it. I ended up with a Daytona Tactical adapter but I might still use the Colt kit and do it myself if I don't sell it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Got mine done at TTI just north of Richmond, VA.

Rick has worked on two or three of mine over the last few years.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I will give the following warning to all that are thinking of do the pin and weld job themselves.

The barrel is very thin at the muzzle. There is only 0.080" material between the bore and outside of the threads. You are going to want to use an actual milling machine with a 1/8" end mill. I only plunge cut down 0.040" with the end mill. You will be getting real close to breaking through into the bore if you use a drill bit.

Just my opinion, but manufacturers should really use 5/8" - 24 threads for 9mm barrels. 1/2"-28 or 1/2"-36 just doesn't leave much material between the threads and bore.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I did the free one because I had a camo Colt and I liked the idea of no engraving
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I would have done the free Form 1 if my lower was an actual Colt 9mm lower. As it is, I am happy with it having the extended flash hider pinned and welded.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I will give the following warning to all that are thinking of do the pin and weld job themselves.

The barrel is very thin at the muzzle. There is only 0.080" material between the bore and outside of the threads. You are going to want to use an actual milling machine with a 1/8" end mill. I only plunge cut down 0.040" with the end mill. You will be getting real close to breaking through into the bore if you use a drill bit.

Just my opinion, but manufacturers should really use 5/8" - 24 threads for 9mm barrels. 1/2"-28 or 1/2"-36 just doesn't leave much material between the threads and bore.
View Quote

Agreed 100% - never understood the whole 1/2-anything for 9mm barrels.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice rifles guys.  I built mine around 2000.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/XZ9AgNc.jpg
View Quote
Looks good, did you pin in a 2 pc block?
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/XZ9AgNc.jpg

Yes, it's basically a copy of an early Colt, but not a direct copy.  I had to figure out dimensions from photos, guns at shows, and one each Colt and Uzi mag.  A machinist friend and I made it, starting with a stripped bolt.  I bought the few parts that were available, and we made or modified everthing else.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top