Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2005 9:24:28 PM EDT
I have two carbines with rails one with a KAC RAS and a newer one with a larue tube rail.  I hve never really been happy with any of the panel covers because the bottom panel will always move 1/8 to 1/4 inches when attatched I like the KAC's the little amount of movement but still moves and is irratating,

The tango downs are ok I like how they lock into a specific location but I have two sets and the panes as a whole don't grip tightly on the rail and is a little back and forth as well as side to motion on the end that does not have the lift snap.

The only panel that I've been almost happy with smallest amount of movement on rail has been the dark parts rail covers but can't find them anywhere anymore.

Aside from glue this rails on which I don't want to do, what is the best way to attatch these panels on or is there another panel out there that is better than the one listed.

PS I have not had the chance to try the magpul covers yet

thank you dgdusp
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have and very much like Magpul covers. One way you can keep covers from wiggling around is to run a small bead of automotive silicone gasket sealer where the panel meets the rail; it'll "glue" the cover in place without making it too difficult to remove them if desired, and it's heat resistant.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 2:32:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I know what you mean, dgd

I have a set of Bushmaster panels (I realize they don't make them, in fact, I also have a set from Daniel Defense and I think they are the same) and they are tacky to the touch.

I like this a lot, and they don't move................until they fall off that is- at minimal provocation.

If only someone made a tacky, hard-ish, rubberized panel that would stay put, it would be a winner

Until then, its KAC for me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:02:51 AM EDT
[#4]

I use the Magpul XT panels and to eliminate movement I took a wide rubber band (5/8" wide) and put it around the panels...they don't move one bit. I also slip my tape switch under the rubber band when I use a light.

FWIW
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I use the magpuls also and they dont move at all, the only thing i might be worried about is the corner of one getting caught on something then being pulled off but it hasnt happened yet and I might give the rubber band trick a try.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#6]
For the KAC panels to lock in place, the rail must be notched to accept the locking clip. The MI handguards and the KAC handguards are notched to do this. I am currently evaluating the rifle length version of the MI handguards, and I can tell you , the KAC panels DO NOT MOVE. They lock into place and become part of the rail. The TD rail covers I have do move slightly, fore and aft, but its not bad. So if you get a rail system desinged to use the KAC panels, they will lock in place and you will not have a problem.

I'm not sure if any other rail systems are notched that way or not. I know the YHM I had was not so notched.

You can always secure the panels with a section of inner tube to hold it on the rails a little tighter.

But I like the KAC rail covers, if the rail is set up for them, the TD rail covers for most other things, and the MagPuls I'll have next week to play with.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top