Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2008 12:03:12 AM EDT
Was at the Cabelas in Dundee Mi. and took a walk in the "Bargain Cave" and spotted what I thought was two TAO1NSN ACOG marked at $1044 each. These were returned and sold as is with the original price of $1439. I asked to see one and you'll never guess what somebody had done? They kept the REAL Trijicon ACOG and had returned fake airsoft ones for a FULL refund!! I informed the salesperson they had been scammed and a manager was called over  to talk to me. They then thanked me took the FAKECOG out of the display case and licked the almost $3000 butt raping they took.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Now that hurts!
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Considering how good the fakes are getting these days, its only going to get worse.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#3]
see a lot of that at local wally worlds..  they buy a nikon or leupold, put a bushnell or simmons back in the box and return it
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty shitty.  I hate thieves.  

And here I thought those outrageous prices were just to pay for the overhead on those museum-stores and all the dead trees they send through the mail.

Collector Edition hard bound master catalog?  Why Lord, why????    
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing new. Seen instances of where people bought a Palm Pilot and then put a bag of sand in it, reseal it, and take it back.

Or people buying a $600 video card for their computer, then putting a $5 network card in the box and returning it. The people handling returns don't know any better.

Link Posted: 8/27/2008 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Human nature to steal ,that's why the honest end up paying more,the good always pay for the bad in this life . sad very sad . just imagine if a honest person bought that at the price marked and than tryed to return it for a refund and the store caught it ,that would have realy been a bitch .
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Human nature to steal ,that's why the honest end up paying more,the good always pay for the bad in this life . sad very sad . just imagine if a honest person bought that at the price marked and than tryed to return it for a refund and the store caught it ,that would have realy been a bitch .

Link Posted: 8/27/2008 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Human nature is to not be an asshole and to not steal.

If more than half the people in humanity stole and were callous fucking assholes, we would never, ever, be able to build an advanced society.

Or society is built on TRUST, and people who violate this trust should be punished accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
And I usually get hassled with an "honest" return even with the original receipt!!!

I also hate when you dont have the receipt and they come up with some discounted sales price at like 10% of the value!!! Then I ask to see the manager and offer to buy the whole chains inventory at this price...... after a millisecond, I get my whole amount refunded back to me!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope the store has a record of who returned them though that was probably faked as well. I hate thieves! Hope they catch them. It would serve them right to have their hands chopped off and that would sure prevent them from doing it again. Our criminal justice system sucks IMHO. We need harsh penalties.

stumo
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If more than half the people in humanity stole and were callous fucking assholes, we would never, ever, be able to build an advanced society.

Or society is built on TRUST, and people who violate this trust should be punished accordingly.

I was brought up to believe that man's nature is to sin.  We sink to the lowest level and that is to lie and steal, among other things.  It is a struggle to do the right thing.  Most people who steal and lie find a way to rationalize their conduct in their own eyes so that they actually think they are "good."

Link Posted: 8/27/2008 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was brought up to believe that man's nature is to sin.  We sink to the lowest level and that is to lie and steal, among other things.  It is a struggle to do the right thing.  Most people who steal and lie find a way to rationalize their conduct in their own eyes so that they actually think they are "good."

My final response before a complete hi-jack:

If people did more bad things then they did good, we would still be cavemen.  I get a hint of Christian philosophy in your response, so I'd respond that before the major religions Judaism/Christianity/Islam rolled around, society had already grown and specialized greatly.  You wouldn't have things like Pyramids, and societies more complicated than hunter gatherers if you couldn't trust people and work together with them.

In this case, the person who stoll the ACOGs probably justified his behavior by thinking of the one time some person at Cabelas was rude to him, or focusing on how clever he was to have pulled this off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]
That is so un-American to do a dirty trick like that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Just imagine if someone who didn't know better would have purchased one!  OWWW!
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Amen.  Find them and shove the FAKECOGs up their asses.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#16]
That sucks.

But, knowing Cabela's prices, it wouldn't surprise me if Cabelas knew they were airsoft FACOGS and that was just their normal price for them, or they were traded in on a used gun, removed, and the bozos in the gun dept. actually thought they were real ACOGS and priced them accordingly.  

This kind of thing does explain why I see used beat up Yugo SKS 59/66's in there labeled as "Russian SKS-$350".
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That is so un-American to do a dirty trick like that.

ROFLMFAO!  Love the sarcasm.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Or they knew they were good fakes and were trying to sell them, hopefully not. Watch them be back for sale a couple days after you left.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Or they knew they were good fakes and were trying to sell them, hopefully not. Watch them be back for sale a couple days after you left.

That, or they'll put them on a couple of used guns and jack up the price $500.  It's amazing what they're asking for some of the used rifles in there (and that sit on the used rack for 6 months or more).  If they'd give me anything close to what they're asking for my used guns, I'd trade them all in and make a killing.  Somehow I think it doesn't work that way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We have received fakes for a refund / exchange...

I have started to see a steady increase of this crap also.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#23]
just another abuse of the Cabela's return policy.
I felt bad for the poor bastards that worked the bargain cave
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

And here I thought those outrageous prices were just to pay for the overhead on those museum-stores and all the dead trees they send through the mail.

So you can cherish the memories of ammo prices past....
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I hate thieves too.

That being said, Cabelas is so fricken over priced, I'm not going to cry for them. Their used guns are priced in line with the NEW price for the same product at small gun stores. And yet they still manage to sell a butt load of guns and gear to stupid buyers. I always thought being the big chain store allowed you to offer lower prices than the little sole-proprietor.

Not excusing the scum-bag thieves, who should be tracked down and prosecuted.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

We get that too
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We get that too

That is incredible. And disgusting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#28]
On a somewhat related note.

People in my area have been renting Hummers, and  Isuzu Med duty trucks with the 6.0 V8 in them.

Take it home, yank the 5.3 or 4.8 from thier truck, and swap it into the rental, and take it back.

6.0 upgrade for a days rental.
Dirty bastards.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 4:22:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

People in my area have been renting Hummers, and  Isuzu Med duty trucks with the 6.0 V8 in them.

Take it home, yank the 5.3 or 4.8 from thier truck, and swap it into the rental, and take it back.

Dirty bastards.

Damn...

Since it's a rental car, wouldn't it be easy to figure out who did the swap?
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I dont know what the prices are at your local Cabelas or Local gun shops but around here they have everyone beat on reloading stock and scopes. I have not priced rifles though.

AL
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#31]
The story about the rental car engine swaps seems a bit over the top for me - WTF?  There would be finger prints all over and traceable markings on the engines that would be insurmountable evidence against the "renter", but I digress.

As far as the original story, it seems like a lot of people are jumping to the conclusion this was an "outside" job by a customer that returned the fakes.

How do you guys know it wasn't an "inside" job by some unscrupulous past or present employee?  The bargain cave isn't just returned items.  I've seen plenty of discontinued new items in there as well as stuff that was just ripped open while on the sales floor and marked down because the box was damaged or a part was taken out/lost.

There are all kinds of possibilities that coudl have happened.  An employee could have swapped a fakecog on a used gun for a real one and then a friend of theirs could have bought the used gun to get it and the real acog out of the store for themselves or later resale.  Or, it could have been a case where someone bought a real acog, put the fakecog in the box and brought it back to the store for exchange and the employee helping them was in on it and swapped them a real acog for the defective "fakecog".  Maybe they did this twice, which is why there were 2 fakecogs.

Ask anyone that has done retail security and they will tell you that they spend just as much, or more, of their time watching the employees, as they do the customers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Dirty bastards.

Hertz rented Cobras back in the day, and they were doing the same thing. "taking them home and swapping engines and such". They started doing it again a couple years ago, and if you look under the hood all of the parts are barcoded, and they go over them with a fine tooth comb , and saner when you bring them back.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Ask anyone that has done retail security and they will tell you that they spend just as much, or more, of their time watching the employees, as they do the customers.

when I did cam installs at Wal-Mart 80-90% of the cams were to watch employees
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree on that last part, but the rest of it... you're smokin' crack.   People suck.

On the bright side, whoever stole those ACOG's is most certainly going to jail for it.  They'll be able to find him.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#35]
That sucks.  Another reason to buy from a good dealer instead of a larger chain store.  When I hit Gander Mtn (no Cabela, etc) I've found I generally know more about the firearms in the case than the guy "helping" me.

My girlfriend was looking at getting a 8m compact Glock, XD, or M&P.  She asked the guy a question and he literally told her "I have no idea.  I only shoot shotguns."

It's a good thing no one bought those and ended up with a POS, that would have looked real bad on Trijicon.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top