Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:46:31 PM EDT
I put this lower together about 6 or 7 years ago. This is as far as I have gotten. I have bought many guns since I put this together but I have never been able to bring myself to choose an appropriate upper for it. I was at 1st planning on a a straight precision rifle with a 20 to 24 inch bull barrel, but then I saw many pictures of rifles with regular style barrels and when I start looking I just get get confused as to what I need/want/ or intend to do with this rifle.

I'm not an operator  and I don't even get to hunt very often. I dream of hunting prairie dogs, crows or even wood chucks, but I don't know when if ever I will get the chance. I love accuracy and even if I build it I won'tr get much of a chance to shoot it. Maybe my son will when he inherits it, so I want it to be something he will be happy with someday as well.

Anyway if someone can help me decide please help me to choose wisely. Thanks

It's a RRA lower with a standard trigger group I would like to upgrade to God only knows what.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
A 20 inch bull barrel would be killer for long range snipeing crows and hogs/varmints,,,Good luck and have fun!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of good barrels out there, but getting a Shilen or Krieger in 20-24" would be the right fit for that setup IMO.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I think a M4gery would be more practical and get more use. You can still hunt with it. Remember you can have multiple uppers and a single lower and switch them out as the need arises. YMMV?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just the setup I am looking for. I see a 20 inch fluted
Bull barrel with a free float tube and bipod. Mount a
quality scope of choice an add a match trigger and it
will be my next build.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think a M4gery would be more practical and get more use. You can still hunt with it. Remember you can have multiple uppers and a single lower and switch them out as the need arises. YMMV?
My AR's.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe an 18" SPR inspired barrel?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I really love this hand guard but don't know who makes it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Build yourself a 18" SPR upper.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#9]
How much do you want to spend?  If it were my lower, and I already had the other rifles you had, I would build an SPR on an 18" barrel.  Larue makes a nice 18" "Stealth" upper but its pricey.  Add optic of your choice and you have a very nice SPR build.  Thats what I would do if I had your lower and money!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Looks similar to the Seekins SP3R:  http://www.seekinsprecision.com/quad-rails-hand-guards/sp3r-mod-quad-rail.html

Same profile, or close to it.  Also, PRI makes a triangular fore-end they call the Delta:  http://www.precisionreflex.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4813

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

that hg is a badger click

with what you have, you need a heavy bbl/precision rig (imo)

eta:  it appears the badger hg is "temporarily discontinued" (see link).  most likely because they had to open another mine for enough metal to make more (they are heavy)
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Lord...that thing has everything except heated seats and Onstar.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What do you mean you like the hand guard.. that is one of
sweatest looking AR's I have ever seen... I'm in lust.
Were did you score the picture?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Easy, just grab an 18" or 20" Stealth upper and call it done.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean you like the hand guard.. that is one of
sweatest looking AR's I have ever seen... I'm in lust.
Were did you score the picture?

that pic and member have been around this site since I can remember

eta:  click here
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I would switch ur lower with no upper with the A2 upper and standard stock of the SP1 lower /A2 upper rifle and use the SP1 lower as the basis for a high accurate AR.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The lower is perfect but you need a nice trigger like a Geiselle.  That would be required for tight groups with match ammo.   For an upper, get a 16 or 18 inch Stealth upper from LaRue Tactical and add some back up sights.  Then you are done.  Add a scope in the future when the funds allow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]
One of these barrels http://www.jarheadtop.com/Northern_Competition.htm
Or order a Krieger 26" and waitA Mega side charger upper, Young NM side charge BCG and a nice FF tube, a LaRue LT 104 and a NF 5.5X 22
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
My AR's.

Well, that would have been good information to have in your original post.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I think 18" with a rifle length FF for a precision rig would look great with that lower
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I would get something from these guys...either a varmint or SPR...  They make some sweet barrels.

http://www.compasslake.com/

Or this...

http://www.fulton-armory.com/barreldouglas18navysprcm1x8threaded.aspx
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I would reccommend a SPR style barrel over a varmint - I just got rid of a 20" bull barrel that shot great because it was too heavy to shoot comfortably offhand and it wasn't really a whole lot of fun to shoot. A spr style barrel will shoot just as accurately with a lot less heft. I am really partial to white oak armament barrels and they will build you a complete upper with any tube/rail you want for less than Larue or Noveske (also fine shooting rifles, just $$$).

If it was my money, I'd call John at white oak and have him build an upper with an 18" SPR middie and a 15" Evolution handguard. Take the money you save and put a Geisselle trigger in your lower.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#23]
18" SPR build.  Is what I am seeing.

MAHA
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#24]
+1

and a nice match trigger group

Quoted:
18" SPR build.  Is what I am seeing.

MAHA

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would reccommend a SPR style barrel over a varmint - I just got rid of a 20" bull barrel that shot great because it was too heavy to shoot comfortably offhand and it wasn't really a whole lot of fun to shoot. A spr style barrel will shoot just as accurately with a lot less heft. I am really partial to white oak armament barrels and they will build you a complete upper with any tube/rail you want for less than Larue or Noveske (also fine shooting rifles, just $$$).

If it was my money, I'd call John at white oak and have him build an upper with an 18" SPR middie and a 15" Evolution handguard. Take the money you save and put a Geisselle trigger in your lower.

Funny, John told me just the opposite on the phone.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would switch ur lower with no upper with the A2 upper and standard stock of the SP1 lower /A2 upper rifle and use the SP1 lower as the basis for a high accurate AR.

I don't get it.  What is special about the SP1?  Why would you do this?  Thanks, L2

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top