Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 2:16:05 PM EDT
J&G is just down the road so it is tempting to buy Wolfe 223 ammunition.  In my Arsenal Inc AK-47 their 7.62x39 ammunition works beautifully.  My question is this.  Would the Wolfe 223 ammunition have any problems in a new Armalite 180B?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Wolf ammo = dirty

You can buy you some good military ammo (M193/Q3131A) for about the same price.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wolf ammo = dirty

View Quote

Shop around and you can find Wolf for half as much as Q3131A... I can't comment about personal use of either munition yet (I'm waiting for the parts to arrive for my first AR), just what I've read on the forum.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Omg here we go agian.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Omg here we go agian.
View Quote

Hey hey, [b][i]I'm[/i][/b] not flaming here... Just the facts: $2xWolf = $1xQ3131A [:D]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Ken, you may want to do a search in the Ammo forum on the Wolf topic.  Also give a read to the oracle of all AR/.223/5.56 ammo wisdom:

[url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]

You'll read lots of good, lots of bad... I've personally burned many many cases of Wolf 55gr. without any problems... It is a bit dirty, some people hate the smell, but at $79 to $94 a case it's good cheap fun.  

My personal belief on the Wolf debate is if your AR is in spec, and you are maintaining it to the -10, it works.  If your weapon isn't up to spec, or you don't like to keep it clean, you and Wolf won't get along very well...

Welcome to the forum...
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!  That was a useful answer.

One other question.  What do you think of the new Armalite 180B?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok wolf users listen up!
i have shot 8 cases of wolf 55gr through my bushmaster with no problems whatsoever, today i went shooting and had a case stick in the chamber. it wouldnt come out till i came home and tapped it out with a cleaning rod. i see no damage to my chamber or to the extractor, actually the steel case is softer than the extractor cause it ripped the edge off the case. the chamber was clean before i went shooting, closer inspection to the chamber i found a white powder(probably laquer residue)on the walls of the chamber.i shit, i couldnt believe i finally got bit, it happened on about the 100th round of the day, i had my other ar that i was testing some reloads in so it didnt ruin my day. I WILL KEEP SHOOTING WOLF since i see no damage other than my pride, also its cheap and the average failure is 1 in 8800 rounds, cant beat that.

wanted to tell you guys about it, it does happen, i know now.LOL!
no big deal though since its easy to tap out and clean the chamber.

I can honestly say it was the ammo on this failure, not the rifle since its the same rifle that ate 8800 rounds without a problem.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
AR with wolf ammo = SCATTERGUN type groups
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Wolf should work great in your AR-180B.  The 180 has a gas system that is not as finicky (sp?) as the ar.  I think they are great guns.  I wouldn't trade one of my ar's for one, but I do want to buy one of the old ones.

Oh, and just in case

IBTL
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I found the answer to this ancient subject a couple months ago. I use wolf in my AK, always have and always will. However my AR will never see anything besides Winchester, Remington, or some other reputable american company...but thats just me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the major mfgs at one point had a warning to shooters [it was on their website] regarding the quality of some imported ammo being used in AR clones. They were particularly recommending that any laquered cased ammo not be fired in their product as they had seen an increase in complaints about FTE due to cases sticking in the chamber. The cause appear to be the ammo in almost every situation.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I am a wolf fanatic.  It has trouble sometimes with .223 chambers but works great in 5.56 chambers.  As mentioned earlier, it has a one in 8800 round failure rate making it far more reliable on average than anything Remchester has come up with yet.  My simple advice is DO NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM ANYONE WHO HAS NOT TRIED IT.  There is alot of advice on the internet, some good, some bad, some people will tell you what they read on a web page but never tried it themselves.  Others will purport to relay they own experiences, and others still will tell you the straight up truth.  

Try 100 rounds.  If it works, great, you get to shoot twice as much as everyone else for the money.  If it does not work, not much lost.  For accuracy in Roosian ammo in 5.56, try Barnaul.  Similar to wolf except that plant appears to have smarter engineers and the stuff is alot more accurate and consistant.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wolf ammo = dirty

View Quote

Where??, Everywhere I've seen its between 50% and 100% more.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure you've heard the expression "you get what you pay for".  Well that is true.  When I got my first AR, I bought a bunch of Wolf ammo since it was so cheap.  When I took it to the range, my groups were not as good as they should have been.  When I took my rifle home to clean it and clean the bore, I could not believe how dirty it was, not to mention my grouping at the range was horrible.  That day I told myself I would never again shoot that Russian-made crap through my ARs.  Not too long after that, I bought a case of American Eagle (Federal) ammo and it was not even comparable to Wolf ammo.  It is fairly inexpensive, much cleaner, and my groups were much better.  Others may think different, I'm just giving you my experience with it.  Don't buy something just because it is "cheap".
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm almost through my first case of wolf ammo, and I shoot with other guys who use it.  It's not as accurate as some other ammo, but you don't buy Wolf for accuracy.  I say, for half the price, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#16]
new wolf ammo does not have the red sealant, so blast away, you cant beat the price
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Wolf ammo is dirty and not as accurate as american ammo, but it is cheap.  I have never had any problems with jamming in my ar, but I do clean my ar after every range.  You can beat if for the price for range ammo.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#18]
[b]Darkstar said[/b]  You'll read lots of good, lots of bad... I've personally burned many many cases of Wolf 55gr. without any problems... It is a bit dirty, some people hate the smell, but at $79 to $94 a case it's good cheap fun.

Where does a person find that price on the Wolf ammo?? Are you talking about 1000 round cases or 500???
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Answer A.

Wolf ammo will make your hair fall out ,
turn you sterile, give you bad breath ,and
women will shun you . [BD]

Answer B.

It's good CHEAP plinking ammo. [:D]

Pick one  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
J&G is just down the road so it is tempting to buy Wolfe 223 ammunition.  In my Arsenal Inc AK-47 their 7.62x39 ammunition works beautifully.  My question is this.  Would the Wolfe 223 ammunition have any problems in a new Armalite 180B?
View Quote

See this thread and you decide . . .
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=161965[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[b]Darkstar said[/b]  You'll read lots of good, lots of bad... I've personally burned many many cases of Wolf 55gr. without any problems... It is a bit dirty, some people hate the smell, but at $79 to $94 a case it's good cheap fun.

Where does a person find that price on the Wolf ammo?? Are you talking about 1000 round cases or 500???
View Quote

Cases... 1000 rounds... I call 500 rounds a half case.  The last fun show I was at I picked up 3 cases of Wolf for $79 each.  That's a bit low for gun show prices, it's usually around $85 or so.  But it was late Sunday, and he didn't want to load it up, I'd guess.

Online you can check:

[url]www.jgsales.com[/url]  When they put it on sale, it runs in the mid $80's.

[url]www.sportsmansguide.com[/url]   Runs mid $90's, but they add an extra shipping charge.  Use one of their coupon codes and you can take care of their extra shipping fee...

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I have fired between 4000 and 5000 rounds of Wolf 55 grain out of my various ARs. It has run great in all nine of them. Never had a problem of any kind. I recently used Wolf exclusively for a four day rifle course; again, without the slightest problem. During the course I fired a group of approx. 5 inches at 200 yards, from the prone position, using an AR with an Aimpoint ML2 and Wolf ammo. During the "final exam" portion of the class, I shot the high score which was 2x the next closest person. I also won the "shoot off"  all using Wolf ammo. I am well satisfied with it.

This topic is quickly replacing the old classics like .45 vs. 9mm, Glock vs. 1911, AR vs. AK.......
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I emailed WOLF about the stuck case i had, they told me they will send a ARS label for me to send the ammo in question back to them to test, also they said they would take back any ammo that i had left and give me my money back. i just bought a new case, i told them  i would try it again with the new ammo and the same rifle, if i had no problems i wouldnt return all the ammo. well, i shot 300 rounds of the new 55gr HP stuff with no problems. the case that stuck in the rifle the first time was the old stuff with the sealer around the mouth. the new case seems a little hotter also.

I'll keep using wolf!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top