Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2003 12:09:48 PM EDT
WOLF Performance Ammunition is completely safe to use in your Bushmaster chrome lined rifle, and will not cause any harm, or premature wear on your firearm.  A lot of people are getting the green sealant confused with the red sealant that used to be on our .223 rounds around the casing and the projectile.  When you would fire a lot of our old .223, the red sealant around the case mouth and projectile would be split apart and some would be deposited in the rifle.  After a while, the red sealant would get kind of sticky due to the heat and cause some problems with the tighter chambered guns.

We have since taken off the red sealant from our .223 calibers, and in doing so have eliminated all the previous problems with the tighter chambered rifles.  Our ammunition is manufactured to SAAMI specs.

Thank you for your inquiry and for using WOLF Performance Ammunition.

Sincerely,

WOLF Ammo
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Amen!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
WOLF Performance Ammunition is completely safe to use in your Bushmaster chrome lined rifle, and will not cause any harm, or premature wear on your firearm.  A lot of people are getting the green sealant confused with the red sealant that used to be on our .223 rounds around the casing and the projectile.  When you would fire a lot of our old .223, the red sealant around the case mouth and projectile would be split apart and some would be deposited in the rifle.  After a while, the red sealant would get kind of sticky due to the heat and cause some problems with the tighter chambered guns.

We have since taken off the red sealant from our .223 calibers, and in doing so have eliminated all the previous problems with the tighter chambered rifles.  Our ammunition is manufactured to SAAMI specs.

Thank you for your inquiry and for using WOLF Performance Ammunition.

Sincerely,

WOLF Ammo
View Quote

Old news but thanks for the post anyway.  I'm convincing Silver Bear to do the same thing with their ammo.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
It might be old news, but there are a lot of old rumors floating around!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Green sealant? All I ever see is red.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of people confuse the red neck sealant with the green coating on the case. The green coating on the case was never a problem, but because no one else used it there was a lot of urban legand floating around.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of people confuse the red neck sealant with the green coating on the case. The green coating on the case was never a problem, but because no one else used it there was a lot of urban legand floating around.
View Quote

I hate to disagree with you but all the (many) Wolf problems I had were with the green coating.  Red never bothered me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
My hypothesis on Wolf Ammo: Uneven application of lacquer coating (runs/drips) on casings is the major cause of failures to extract in AR-15 rifles.

Using a cartridge with very little taper (.223/5.56) and weak extraction force helps aid this problem. The red sealant I do not believe is the cause of the problem, though it does contribute to the gunking up of you weapon.  Getting rid of the red sealant helps, but that is not the solution. My opinion, FWIW.

BTW, I enjoy wolf ammo in my AR-15's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't care what they say. Once stung is enough. I'll never use that stuff again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't care what they say. Once stung is enough. I'll never use that stuff again.
View Quote

Never stung, but Im not going to risk it!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:13:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought an issue of extra wear was that they are steel cased and that wears the extractor and the bolt face faster than brass casings
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hate to disagree with you but all the (many) Wolf problems I had were with the green coating.  Red never bothered me.
View Quote

Just out of curiosity: How did the problem manifest itself so as to point towards the lacquer coating ? I'm not disagreeing, I just want to know what to look for if I have a problem.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
IMHO, anyone who thinks the green coating causes a problem is messed up in the head.  By FAR the majority of people that use this ammo have ZERO problems with it.  This is my opinion and which is backed up by personal experience and polls on this forum.  The best advice to ANYONE is to buy a few hundred rounds and give it a try (making sure it DOES NOT have a red sealant around the neck/bullet (sealant around the primer doesn't matter).
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Another reason to "go chrome or go home" never a failure to extract here. Just run and gun using cheap ammo.

Bob

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The only thing with Wolf is that is stinks to High Heaven.
That Aroma! [fart] from spent cartridges!  Yikes![fart]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#15]
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=170028]The dangerous lure of Wolf.[/url]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The best advice to ANYONE is to buy a few hundred rounds and give it a try
View Quote

A few hundred rounds isnt a statistically valid sample. You should try at least a case of 1000 rounds. Track your malfunctions and decided for yourself.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#17]
ive been using wolf,hornady TAP with the red polymer tip and fed xm193 on a regular basis in my bushmaster at least 5k rounds of each
never failed in anything
my only probs were federal hollowpoints that jammed up on the feed ramps. pissed me off every round
thats about it tho
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top