Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2003 4:48:34 PM EDT
Aloha from Hawaii. I am a complete newbie to ARs and recently took one in trade. I brought it home today, and now have to outfit it. As it comes out of the box it has no rear sights. It is a flattop, and has a raised front sight. My plan is to ultimately put on a Trijicon TA-31. Until I can purchase one, I need a rear iron sight. What should I get. I have read about the ARMS #40. Does this just mount on the top rail? What do I need to do when I get the TA-31, is there a mount that will allow me to look under that scope to use the iron sights or must the TA-31 need to be romoved? Is there a specific mount for the TA-31 that I should get that is optimal for this particular set up? Any recommendations as to who to purchase these from?  Sorry to be so full of questions, but I am new at this, and Hawaii (I live on Kauai) is not afloat with shooting ranges or other AR fans. Thank you all in advance.

wabi
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#1]
On the same gun i have a GG&G back flip up with a TA-31 i'm trying out for awhile .That or 40 set up on a flat top will require you to take the optics off to access your irons.I beleive if you want co witness you will need to mount scope on a carry handle.If you use a dot like EOtech or aimoint its a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
What should I get. I have read about the ARMS #40. Does this just mount on the top rail?
View Quote

Yes, and it is hands down the most popular back-up sight on AR15.com. Some people don't care for the small aperture with the horizon line though - you can get it with a normal small aperture if that is the case.

You might also look at the Knight's 300 and 600m sights. The 600m is the only elevation adjustable folding sight out there.

What do I need to do when I get the TA-31, is there a mount that will allow me to look under that scope to use the iron sights or must the TA-31 need to be romoved?
View Quote

You can mount the TA31 to a detachable carry handle and it will let you use the iron sights through the tunnel underneath the ACOG. Since the TA31 is designed to mount there anyway, you don't have any height over bore issues, although some people don't care for the height of the mount because it affects their chin weld. This would also answer your backup sight question for now.

If you mount directly to the flattop, you'll have to remove the ACOG to use irons and you'll need to buy a mount. The TA51 is the two thumbscrew mount that Trijicon sells for this; but ARMS sells the ARMS #19S mount for the ACOG also.

I've mounted my ACOG to both the carry handle and the flattop. While both had things I liked, I ultimately chose to go with the flattop mount; but it is really a personal preference thing.

Is there a specific mount for the TA-31 that I should get that is optimal for this particular set up? Any recommendations as to who to purchase these from?
View Quote

Of all the ACOG mounts, the ARMS #19S is superior in my opinion. It has perfect return to zero capability and can be removed or attached via a single throw lever ($123 shipped from MSTN.biz); plus it has the same small footprint as the TA51.

Sorry to be so full of questions, but I am new at this, and Hawaii (I live on Kauai) is not afloat with shooting ranges or other AR fans.
View Quote

I used to stay in a house on Anahola Beach. I didn't realize there was anyplace at all to shoot ARs while I was there. Not the best environment for shooters; but an incredibly beautiful island.

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Bartholomew_Roberts,
Do you have any problems with your front sight getting into the field of view, that is, if you have a standard front sight? If so ho much is in the FOV? Thanks for all you great info. I am looking to do this set up on a bushy a3 flattop just want to make sure the mount is high enough so that the front sight is not in the way?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
No problem at all... view through TA11 on ARMS #19S mount with fixed front sight (carbine length).

[img]http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/AR15/DoD2.jpg[/img]

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top