Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2011 12:01:54 PM EDT

I know in the handgun world Wilson gets a ton of accolades but I don't see much mention of them around the AR community.  

Specifically, who makes their barrels and of what known quality are they?

they make a nice looking lightweight stainless 16" midlength for $249.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-556-NATO-Tactical-Hunter-Lightweight-16-1-8-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-556LW16-18/

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#1]
My NM rifle and my 20" I just built both have Wilson barrels.  Top notch in my opinion.

Here is the rifle thread I made when I put it together.  Here
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#2]
G2G
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My NM rifle and my 20" I just built both have Wilson barrels.  Top notch in my opinion.

Here is the rifle thread I made when I put it together.  Here

Is Wilson that makes the barrels and Wilson Combat the same company?  I thought they were different, hence the "Combat" in Wilson Combat.  I could be wrong though, I never really followed that up.

Either way, whether you're talking about Wilson blanks, or Wilson Combat - I wouldn't be worried about either barrels.  

Wilson Combat may not have the same reputation in the AR world that they do in the 1911 world, but I've got no reason they'd be selling crap.

In the AR world, their parts and rifles are just a little too expensive for what you get - an AR doesn't need to be hand fitted by skilled gunsmiths, but I don't think they'd risk their name selling shitty bargain brand parts.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The Wilson barrel on my 20" has the Wilson Combat logo etched very small in the barrel.  I thought the same thing for the longest Wilson was different from Wilson Combat but the logo was on the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that the same as Wilson Arms though?  

I only see one carbon steel 5.56MM barrel there.  I'm talking about the Wilson barrels one finds on Gunbroker in M4 profiles, ect.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell me about it checking out prices on the website they are reasonable.  They have some nice barrel options also!
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Wilson Arms - Branford, CT
Wilson Combat - Berryville, AR

Are you sure they are the same?
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wilson Arms - Branford, CT
Wilson Combat - Berryville, AR

Are you sure they are the same?

Wilson Combat - 1977

Wilson Arms - 1954
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I could be wrong on my NM being a Wilson Combat barrel it is an RRA upper NM but the 20" I just built is a Wilson Combat barrel it has their logo etched in the barrel.

This is interesting I had no idea about Wilson arms.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Wilson Arms is not Wilson Combat.

I do not know much about Wilson Arms, however; I have carried/owned Wilson Combat firearms for several years and they are spectacular.

From Wilson Combat's website:

WILSON COMBAT® TACTICAL RIFLES

Wilson Combat’s® Tactical Rifle division builds some of the world’s best AR-15 style rifles, with our famous unequalled quality, relentless reliability, and superior service. We start with precision CNC machined upper and lower receivers, using high-quality 7075 T6 aluminum forgings. Uppers and lowers are then hand-matched. A master riflesmith then carefully assembles and fits the rifle with our best-quality barrel. Our trigger group is second to none, assuring a clean break at 3-3.5 pounds. The result is a tactical rifle that you can stake your life on.

The same qualities that have made the Wilson Combat® a favorite defensive weapon also make it an outstanding choice for a sporting rifle. Light weight, compact size, dependable performance in all weather conditions – plus extreme accuracy – assure excellence in the field. Whether you are a target shooter, varmint hunter, or even a weekend plinker, our AR-15 style rifle is a superb choice.

Proven in real-life situations daily, we have 3 different models, one sure to meet your needs and your budget. Our models are as follows:

·         The UT-15 Urban Tactical model is an ideal all-around tactical or sporting semi-auto carbine, offering precision accuracy and fast handling versatility in a lightweight package. It features a match grade fluted barrel, free-float ventilated aluminum handguard, Mil-Spec parkerized barrel and steel components, and an anodized receiver.

·        The SS-15 Super Sniper Tactical Rifle is the professional’s choice when supreme accuracy with the ability to deliver rapid follow-up shots is required. It features a 1-in-8 twist, heavy weight 20” match grade fluted stainless steel barrel and an aluminum free-floated hand guard.

Wilson Combat’s AR-15 style rifle provides one of the most versatile platforms for building a mission-specific weapon in today’s market. You decide your application, then call one of our Customer Service Representatives…choose your buttstock, fore-end or quad-rail, optics, sights, sling and mounts, grips, lights, laser, color…How about ordering a Wilson Combat lower with an upper designed for an entry weapon – and add another upper configured for sniper operations for a quick, tool-less field change? We can package both uppers and the stocked lower in a custom case for your convenience, with room for ammo, cleaning kits, etc.

Already have an AR? Call us – we can upgrade most brands with a great trigger, improved sights, quality quad-rail, Armor-Tuff® –tell us what you need
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Wilsom arms is indeed seperate from Wilson combat.

I believe most of Wilson arms production goes into the industry so who knows where it ends up with what name on it.
Wilson arms has a decent reputation with the local bullseye guys and I know
of several local service rifle guys who grabbed up some Wilson Arms ar-15 barrels
direct from the factory.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah they are right off 95 on Leetes Island rd in Branford. Always wanted to stop in and check out their operation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top