Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2003 6:38:43 PM EDT
well, here we go.  LONG time listener, first time poster.  and this is my question.
i enjoy bump firing my 16" bushmaster, and i mean like 6 mag dumps at a time.  at that point, you can burn yourself on the barrel (i have) and the handguards need a glove to hold,  and EVERYTHING else gets very, very, hot.  so i was wondering, i REALLY want an EOTECH(model 512) but i am worried about MELTING it.  so, it is possible to melt or damage any part of it due to excessive heat.  i dont wanna pay $300 plus for something i will melt.  by the way, i plan on putting in on the upper receiver.  I am NOT kidding at all, i am very serious.  any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  thanks everyone =)
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Just take it off when you bumpfire.

That's ONE of the beauties of the Eotech, it returns to zero when you take it off and put it back on your flat top.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It should the hi temp on the upper receiver.

btw, I guess you will be needing a new barrel pretty soon. [:)]  
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not just bump firing. The M1A scout scope mount acts like a heat sink and puts all that heat into the sight. Fire off a couple of mags fast and the optics get too hot to touch. Aimpoint Comp M (early non XD model) has held up just fine. I'm not sure if an eotech would. I think the membrane pad or its adhesive might be dammged by the heat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
SMGlee-  i KNOW i will be needing a new barrel soon, and i take pride in knowing i will wear a barrel out in less than one year. yes, i am a freak [%|] and proud of it.  this will coincide with sept of 2004, and that NEW barrel will have little threads on it, for a new Vortex, but that is ANOTHER thread.(lets not go there)

AR15fan- thats EXACTLY what i was worried about, i dont wanna melt any adhesive or plastic or any other part for that matter, which is why i am looking at an aimpoint.... again.

this is just a stress relief toy, i rarely shoot past 50 yards, i don't hunt anything, i don't enter into 3 gun matches, and i am NOT LE.  i just like to go to the range and punch holes in paper and light up some pop cans...and just want one of those dot scopes because they are MYspec, not millspec.... i just plain ole' like um.

so, thanks everyone for the input.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top