Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 7:41:13 PM EDT
Are they really that different than others? Is so, how? It seems to me that they all look the same and are made from the same stuff. Not looking for a flame war here, just asking an honest question.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
DPMSis notorious for out of spec parts and guns.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
3 lpk's with out a problem
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a build with one, no issues
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#4]
People look at DPMS as the nerd of the AR's...made fun of by the "cooler" AR guys.
If DPMS was putting out garbage parts, there is no way they could stay in business in todays highly competitive market.
Name one company that puts out tons of parts and never has a problem here and there...Colt? LMT? DD? They all will at some time or another.

There is nothing wrong with a DPMS LPK and I can guarantee you that there isnt a single person on this forum that can pick up an AR, blast off some rounds and then say "yep....dpms lower parts kit"
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
DPMSis notorious for out of spec parts and guns.

....but it appears this is the one thing they have done right.  But, they probably buy them from the same place every other manufacture does.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Because I can spend 5 bucks more for a RRA lpk and not have to fight with the fkn atrocious out of spec bolt catch roll pin. That's why.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
4 builds with them and no problems. I complete upper from them that was GTG. Just the AR  snobs who like to dis other other peoples stuff. JR
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Tried a DPMS kit because the hammer was non-notched. Went together perfectly. Zero problems.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Because of the higher rate of failure or out of spec parts coming from the number of complaints posted and from instructors seeing higher failure rates in carbine classes.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#10]
some of there bolt catches are out of spec

the actuator is too short to get lifted up by the mag follower and the bolt fails to lock back

here's a pic compared to a COLT part

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I had an out out of spec DPMS upper receiver rail btw, it's not just their LPKs that have problems.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because I can spend 5 bucks more for a RRA lpk and not have to fight with the fkn atrocious out of spec bolt catch roll pin. That's why.

+1  

I have bought a lot of LPKs and the only brand that had parts which were out of spec wer DPMS ones.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had a bolt catch that was full of casting holes, should've never made it past QC.  Sear engagement surfaces that looked and felt like they'd been polished with gravel.  Magazine catches so covered in burrs that they wouldn't fit in any lower, even after stoning the burrs off, the mag catch still sticks if you push the button even slightly off center.  A pivot pin that was missing the detent groove.  I think that's about it.  The only issues I've had with any other LPK was a Stag mag catch that snapped in half, there were no visible defects, so at least it wasn't somthing that would've been readily evident to a QC inspector.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if these issues are after December of 2007? That is when DPMS was bought out by Freedom Group. I know from experience in other industries what can happen to QC in those situations. The main focus will be on bottom line and corners will be cut wherever possible. I own a DPMS AP4 carbine pre 2007. It has been a great rifle. The fit between the upper and lower receivers is as good as any I have ever seen or better. Very tight. It has never had any issues whatsoever, never a jam of any sort nor any misfires with anything I have fed it. I love it, it's accurate. reliable and everything I need from that AR. Anyway, just wondering. I just used a Spikes LPK and it was great, came with an extra pivot detent and spring (which I did not need, I was able to find my detent after I launched it across the garage)
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wonder if these issues are after December of 2007? That is when DPMS was bought out by Freedom Group. I know from experience in other industries what can happen to QC in those situations. The main focus will be on bottom line and corners will be cut wherever possible. I own a DPMS AP4 carbine pre 2007. It has been a great rifle. The fit between the upper and lower receivers is as good as any I have ever seen or better. Very tight. It has never had any issues whatsoever, never a jam of any sort nor any misfires with anything I have fed it. I love it, it's accurate. reliable and everything I need from that AR. Anyway, just wondering. I just used a Spikes LPK and it was great, came with an extra pivot detent and spring (which I did not need, I was able to find my detent after I launched it across the garage)

All of mine were purchased after 2007, don't know when they were made.  I'm not saying DPMS can't make functional parts and firearms, just that they have a higher incident of failures than other companies.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#17]
A shooting buddy of mine bought a 10.5 inch barrel, and the hole down the center of the barrel was so off center, the bullets barely cleared the flash hider... plus, the bolts have a tendency to break at the cam pin hole.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Im pretty sure Rainier Arms uses them in their lowers and ive never had any problems with mine.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#19]
All I've EVER used was DPMS LPKs. Never a problem. I've also used a complete M4 upper and 2 of their flat top upper receivers and BCGs in other builds. No Problem.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

...If DPMS was putting out garbage parts, there is no way they could stay in business in todays highly competitive market....

Quick someone go tell this to Blackthorne.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:35:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

People look at DPMS as the nerd of the AR's...made fun of by the "cooler" AR guys.

If DPMS was putting out garbage parts, there is no way they could stay in business in todays highly competitive market.

Name one company that puts out tons of parts and never has a problem here and there...Colt? LMT? DD? They all will at some time or another.

There is nothing wrong with a DPMS LPK and I can guarantee you that there isnt a single person on this forum that can pick up an AR, blast off some rounds and then say "yep....dpms lower parts kit" (after it breaks I would give you a pretty damn good guess)

you are way out in left field.

They stay in business becuase they are cheap- take some economic classes. I guess you missed the fact walmart is in business but still sells(mostly) junk.

Correct but the rate at which the problems occur are much higher with DPMS. I had to fix a colt a couple days ago that wouldn't run. Well it was my first colt with problems. But I've had to fix more than a few DPMS guns for friends and every LPKs from DPMS I tried to use has had something wrong with it, plus they break a lot easier (quicker).

Here's the deal, they make cheap parts. You can only do this as a manf by having cheap contractors or products, that equals low QC and limited testing. When you go this route you will have a higher probability of defective/out of spec part/high breakage parts. For some they would rather save a buck for other its a no-go.

Same reason you have people that drive shit buckets that always break. They want to save money. Buy a know product with decent CS, you will spend more, but the probability of having problems is statistically less. (not zero).

The people that say X company  is just as good as Y company have never taken a Stats or business class. If they have, then they would never say such ignorant remarks.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:36:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Ive done a couple builds with DPMS LPKs..............No issues

I have seen some out of spec parts from them however
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#23]
My DPMS MK 12 barrel is the best sub $200 barrel i've shot.  1.25 MOA with brass bulk ammo. Sub MOA with match ammo.

I've used a few other DPMS parts without issue.

no hate here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Rate of failure is likely directly related to rate of exposure. I would not be surprised to find that DPMS has more LPK's in circulation than most of the majors and any combination of the boutique brands several times over.

I believe I read at one time DPMS was the second largest producer of AR and AR parts? Thats memory talking but I believe correct.

I have used 6 or more of their LPK's and same with RRA and have had no issues with either one.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either one today.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:21:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Im pretty sure Rainier Arms uses them in their lowers and ive never had any problems with mine.

This true?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Rate of failure is likely directly related to rate of exposure. I would not be surprised to find that DPMS has more LPK's in circulation than most of the majors and any combination of the boutique brands several times over.

I believe I read at one time DPMS was the second largest producer of AR and AR parts? Thats memory talking but I believe correct.

I have used 6 or more of their LPK's and same with RRA and have had no issues with either one.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either one today.

If you looked at it in percentage of total production the DPMS-Bushmasters would have similar rate of failure as any other manufacturer.

That said there all higher quality LPK's.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top