Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 2:38:21 PM EDT
It's almost like gripping your mag well!

I've never used one but I'm thinking about trying one out. Pro's? Con's?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You have a much better feel of the rifle with it. I have a tango down QD model and love it. All I will ever get now. Everybody has their favorite. Get what you think looks good and try to handle a few before you buy one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Not really, it gives the shooter much more control over the rifle by extending the grip out towards the muzzle. IMO, VGs should be used as a refernce point and the shooter should retain a firm grip on the handguard itself. This is how I use mine and it is a massive improvement over a magwell grip.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
tried most of the common methods for shooting and found that the mag well grip works best for me- though the VFG did help with faster transitions. To each their own- I won't knock it unless it is unsafe.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The biggest con of using your magwell as your grip is feeding malfunction.  This occured with me at a carbine class at Blackwater.  Among the group I went with, I was newish to the 'tactical' AR game., so I didn't have a rail system or a verticle grip.  Pressure on my magazine cause a couple of feed malfunctions, which of course was corrected after I used less pressure from my pinky.

A plus was that tactical reloading was a snap since my hand was already on my magazine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I definitely like fore grips and I'm new to the AR world.  In fact, I just walked in the door after doing some shooting with a buddy.  I shot mine with the vertical grip and then shot his without.  Didn't care for his to much.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#6]
When firing from cover or around, under and over objects it is great. It also gives you a much firmer purchase on your stick. I have them on 2 of my carbines. My SP-1 truck guns dont have them only because I keep them simple. I also dont have them on either of my SPR's. they are definetly a user preference or not. I build my rifles to be functional 1st and cool 4th or 5th. If it does not work for me i dont do it. I really like the Surefire forgrip w/ built in light, there just to bulky and expensive for me. Im sure at one point they will come down in price and size. Even if from another manufacturer. Hint, hint other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
At first I was against them... that was until I installed one on one of my ARs.... now they all have them... I think it makes the rifle more steady.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I use one for better control and weapon retention.I use the QD TDstubby..with the stubby I can still grip the handguard wich I like.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At first I was against them... that was until I installed one on one of my ARs.... now they all have them... I think it makes the rifle more steady.

I like them so much..a rifle doesn't feel quite right without one!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't care for them, for me they tend to hang on things and get in the way.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The natural way your wrist bends is very much suited for the VFG.  I have wide shoulders and I experience some pain and fatigue after gripping the rifle without one for any length of time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't care for them, for me they tend to hang on things and get in the way.

this is where a low profile vertial grip like the AFG comes in
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes I use one, sometimes I don't. If I had to equip all of my rifles the same way, I'd leave foregrips off of them.

For a while the full-sized VFG was all the rage, then the stubby, now the AFG. The memo is going around that anyone not using the arm-out/Magpul AFG combo is way, way behind the times.

Personally, I say try them all and find what works for you. I prefer adaptability, since sometimes you may be behind cover, prone, on your side, whatever. The arm-out technique is great for muzzle control, but muzzle control is not the only consideration when moving with and shooting a rifle, especially from unconventional and uncomfortable position. I believe that many instructors, both of rifles and pistols, put far too much emphasis on assuming the proper stance/grip. It seems to me that the exigencies of life-or-death situations may often prohibit you from shooting in the optimal position.

I've never "been there or done that," never been shot at, so take my opinion for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Some people like them; some people don't.  That's why there's so much controversy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the regular way. Though I've never attended a carbine class or recieved any training using vfg I don't know if I would prefer the vfg over conventional shooting. I do have a STG 556 and don't like shooting with the vfg.

ETA: I do have conventional rifle training.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've never used one but I'm thinking about trying one out. Pro's? Con's?

Didn't realize there was any...

Controversy, that is...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Personal preference.  Bought one and hated it.  3 years later I bought another one and hated it.  Just feels wrong.  YMMV...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The biggest con of using your magwell as your grip is feeding malfunction.  This occured with me at a carbine class at Blackwater.  Among the group I went with, I was newish to the 'tactical' AR game., so I didn't have a rail system or a verticle grip.  Pressure on my magazine cause a couple of feed malfunctions, which of course was corrected after I used less pressure from my pinky.

A plus was that tactical reloading was a snap since my hand was already on my magazine.

+1.

After the 2nd or 3rd stovepipe caused by my magwell grip.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#19]
The VFG was designed for better rifle handling in a CQB environment and it does really well in that. It became popular because it looked really tactical and because it helped achieve a steady firing platform using push/pull opposing forces. Some soldiers liked them, some didn't like them for open terrain where they felt it got in the way while in the prone, and some felt it got in the way and snagged equipment. I usually use a magwell hold, but some people have a hard time with magwell holds for two reasons, 1) they put pressure on the mag causing feeding problems or 2) because ergonomically they control the rifle better further down the handguard. It's really a matter of preference if you use one and where you place it. Nice thing is that they pop on and off easily so you can play around until you see what's comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#20]
While i liked the idea of the AFG, i didnt like how they have the extra horizontal part on it. I would put it towards the front of a 7" rail and that would look stupid, so im using a LaRue FUG but I'm using the modified grip.

I was using irons, fired about 60-70 rounds fast, with my thumb over the bore. Only 3 didnt hit a upper torso silhouette at 100 yards. I lovethe modified grip and I'm sure the AFG works just as well. THis was with a A2 flashhider, cant wait until my FSC556 comp comes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Why is there so much controversy over vertical foregrips?

Because what else is the fucking internet for?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top