Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 5:38:16 PM EDT
I rarely see marines with EOTechs on carbines but I see many of those weird sights. Fill me in.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm willing to bet it's because they were available right now without any kind of wait. My brother's unit is in Fallujah right now, and most of the pics you see on the internet are of his BN, and when I asked him, he said they have a good number of ACOGs, Aimpoints, EOTechs, and Israeli MARS sights in the unit. He said before they deployed (and after they were already in country) they were just trying to get as many sights to as many shooters as fast as possible, and that was why they were using the Israeli sights.

Someone else here might have a better explanation, but that's what I got from someone at the source.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Marines with EOTechs are just starting to get a little more common.

I think the Gov't gave EOTech a pretty big contract not to long ago.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya in EOTechs news they said the Marines bought tons of em but I never see any in pictures. Just the isreali one. The MARS or whatever.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Since NVEC has licensed these things from ITL, can we start calling them "American MARS sights"  instead of "Israeli MARS sights"?

BTW, your average EOTech doesn't have a built in IR Laser... +1 for the MARS.

NVEC MARS Page
ITL MARS Page

-Randy
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I would suspect that the Israeli sight has had some rigourous field testing that the Eotech hasn't had.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Does the MARS co-witness?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would suspect that the Israeli sight has had some rigourous field testing that the Eotech hasn't had.

I'm sure the EOTech was thoroughly field tested in the process of being procured by the DEA, US Army, USMC, Naval Surface Warfare Center, USCG .50cal Snipers and whatever other agencies have purchased them.  Not to mention that it is currently being used by these organizations in the field, or from helicopter in the case of the USCG.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
You use what you can get your hands, on MarCorpSysCom and individual units were buying everything they could get.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Since NVEC has licensed these things from ITL, can we start calling them "American MARS sights"  instead of "Israeli MARS sights"?

BTW, your average EOTech doesn't have a built in IR Laser... +1 for the MARS.

NVEC MARS Page
ITL MARS Page

-Randy

+1. The MARS is a completely different animal than the Eotech. It's a far superior and more expensive sight than the Eotech besides. I would imagine Eotech is going to come out with something similar, as will Aimpoint and other "playas"  in the optics industry. Sights with integrated IR/laser and maybe eventually NV are the wave of the future for obvious reasons.

Oh and Randy, nice Cheat! THE CHEAT IS NOT DEAD MAN!

themao
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top