User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 7:49:07 PM EDT
Why
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Importers keep tryin' and tryin', but the State Department has just been sitting on the paperwork for the last year or so. So all the ammo on the dealer's shelves has dried up.

Write your Congressman and complain.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
There's gotta be 1 country somewhere that would be willing to surplus ammo to shooters.  Maybe not though.

Your best bet in ammo supply must always be the USA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Which doesn't surplus their ammo.  I just hope we don't stop selling the components.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I asked the guy at my local gunshop about SA supply, and he said he had been trying to get it for 6 months from all of his distributors, but the best he could get was "if we get it, it will be January at the earliest."

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:01:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont know what you are moaning about all my local shops seem to have plenty of SA mil surplus   :-)  sorry couldn't resist...
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:06:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I dont know what you are moaning about all my local shops seem to have plenty of SA mil surplus   :-)  sorry couldn't resist...
View Quote

You mean you can have weapons in SA?  I figured the new gov. wouldn't allow them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:46:51 AM EDT
[#8]
SG has them on back order, I already place an order for 2 tubs!!!  Price is a little higher than last year but you can get them, according to them they should be here in about 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#10]
They sure are trying to make it as difficult as possible esp got it in for semi auto rifles and shotguns they are a big no no as far as government are concerned.They are trying to make the hassle of owning a semi so huge and costly that people either cant meet the requirements or just give up with the red tape and hassle involved ..Still there were 40 plus at our local 3 gun shoot last week (quite a few AR's) and I think they expect a field of 200 plus at our national 3 gun next month so our shooting sport is alive and well and still fighting all the way for our right to own arms
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a news flash from our pals over at the Sportsman's Guide.  I called Monday 9/15/2003 to order a Lula magazine loader and check on my backorder placed in mid-August for a 2700 rnd tub of South African 5.56mm.  I know others on the board have had orders canceled or substitutions offered.  I called in early September and was told that they were not taking orders for battlepacks but that the tubs would be shipped on or around September 22nd. I asked again, on Monday, if she would check on my backorder.  When she came back on the line she said "Sorry, but the item you have on backorder won't be available until after the first of the year."  I asked if she was sure, and related to her my earlier conversation around the first part of September.  She checked again and told me "No sir, the item is not currently available and won't be until after the first of the year."  

Long story short: I canceled my order then called Botach Tactical and ordered 2400rnds of brand new (2002) IMI-M193 for $2 bucks less than I was going to pay for the 15-20 yr old South African stuff. If it's good enough for the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces), it's good enough for me.

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Long story short, I canceled my order and called Botach and ordered 2400 brand new (2002) IMI-M193 for $2 bucks less than I was going to pay for the 15-20 yr old South African battlepacks.
View Quote
But it's from Botach... Although I guess they're not too bad when it comes to shipping ammo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#13]
[/quote]But it's from Botach... Although I guess they're not too bad when it comes to shipping ammo.[/quote]

I bought some M855 from Botach in August.  Ordered it on a Monday received it on a Friday.  No Complaints from this boy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#14]
May be we will be able to get surplus ammo and gun kits from Iraq....they dont need them anymore..LOL[:D]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I sent an email to Sportsman's Guide asking about the status of my June 2003 order that was supposed to be shipped on September 22 2003.  They informed me that the delivery date was pushed out to August 2004 and asked if I'd like to hold the backorder or cancel the order.

What service, huh?  It'll be a damn long time before I order from these clowns again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I never got an email from them.  Had a couple tubs of SA on order.  I was one of the first people to place an order, and I guess I "trusted" them, so I was hopeful that my order was still coming.  I emailed them early this morning asking about whether it would be delivered soon.

Just got an email back,  backordered until August 2004, "our shipping department is working on making our customers who have ordered, another offer for other ammo".  Bullshit.  Cancelled the order, cancelled my email with them, told them to remove me from their junk mail catalog list.

Never order from them again.  I think they made that offer for the ammo knowing it would never be delivered and planning on people getting tired of waiting, and "settling" for something else.

Bullshit company with bullshit customer service.

Troy was right, but I was hoping he was wrong this one time...

MournSword
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up three SA battlepacks at a show in Dayton last weekend for $40 each.  Guy's been sitting on them for the last six months or so.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Boy MournSword, how do you really feel? Never had to deal with any import/export I take it, because if you ever had to, you would be a little more understanding. I have worked with 2 companies that imported/exported, both nothing special (hydraulic control valves, and dipsticks), and it was hell when something got caught in customs. I don't even want to think what it's like with ammo/magazines/anything gun related. Give them a break, I am sure they did not want to lose those sales, but at least they offered an alternative. The alternative should have been better, and at a steep discount to save customer relations, but I can't fault them for not getting the ammo. They also should have not posted it for sale until they had it, but hey, lots of people are guilty of selling stuff they don't have, lol. Anyone who has dealt with import/export does it on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:09:52 AM EDT
[#19]
The Sportsmans guide has never done me wrong and I have ordered all sorts of stuff from them over the last several years.For the ammo, they have 62gr .223 battlepacks of ss109 from Spain at $62 per 400 rnds.I have use a bunch of this stuff and have more on order. They are great rounds, try them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:29:59 AM EDT
[#20]
SG has the SA stuff still on their webpage (the 2700 round tubs). They'd pulled them off for a while, but now they're back. That means that either:
1) They're still trying to bait people to buy them so they can get them to switch to the Russkie ammo.
2) They really do have them and are planning to stiff the people who ordered < 2700 rounds.
3) They're clueless.

Either way, they suck. [pissed]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, they suck all right.  Obvious to anyone who gives a "whit" about customer service...

Because "everyone does it" doesn't make it right.  I learned that when I was a very young child, from my parents.  

Apparently not everyone expects fair dealings, and whatever a company can do or get away with is "ok" because other companies get away with it, or do it.

Sorry, not OK here, and not OK at all...

Accept shitty service (or none at all) and that is what you will continue to get.  

MournSword

BTW, I had this order placed for months, and then it's back ordered for a full year?  Get real, I could walk to Africa and back in that amount of time I'd think....
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Mmm...

Early this year, I posted on this board that the South African military surplus ammo is going to dry up because our NCACC (National Conventional Arms Control Committee) has decided not to give any more export permits to Denel to export this ammo due to South Africa signing a U.N. Small Arms Non-proliferation Treaty.

Some members of this board then called me a liar. Others said I was trying to hike up the price (i.e. I'm a U.S. dealer in disguise). Still others said I was just a bullshitter. Most, I believe, saw that I was trying to be helpful.

Well, to everyone who doubted my motives, here's a big fat "I TOLD YOU SO!".

And here's a big "THANK YOU!" to everyone who realised that I was just trying to be helpful by giving an advance warning: You guys have the savvy to know that there are still people in the world who actually mean well - even as far away as Cape Town, South Africa.

capeboer
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Jus got off the phone w/ SG time stamp 17:56 09/25/2003 . they wont be available til Aug. 2004. I talked to them about the catalogue and they said that they are preprinted 3 months in advanced, so whatever. Time to take the loss and move on.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mmm...

Early this year, I posted on this board that the South African military surplus ammo is going to dry up because our NCACC (National Conventional Arms Control Committee) has decided not to give any more export permits to Denel to export this ammo due to South Africa signing a U.N. Small Arms Non-proliferation Treaty.

Some members of this board then called me a liar. Others said I was trying to hike up the price (i.e. I'm a U.S. dealer in disguise). Still others said I was just a bullshitter. Most, I believe, saw that I was trying to be helpful.

Well, to everyone who doubted my motives, here's a big fat "I TOLD YOU SO!".

And here's a big "THANK YOU!" to everyone who realised that I was just trying to be helpful by giving an advance warning: You guys have the savvy to know that there are still people in the world who actually mean well - even as far away as Cape Town, South Africa.

capeboer
View Quote

I remember and bought around 30 battlepacks at that time.  Wish I bought more.  [:D]

Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#25]
CapeBoer,

On your advice I picked up 2 tubs for short term stockpile.

Though I admit I was a bit doubtfull of the whole matter,trusting the greed factor of your politicians more than the rumors.

Mind the Muntu's!

Bie Dankie!
S28
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#26]
You will see more SA in early 2004. The old contract has ran out and new contracts will be signed soon.  But it will be at a higher price.   Both .223 and .308 will rise in price next year.   .30-06, 9mm, and 8mm will get cheaper.  I am a importer, and I have personally been stocking up on .223 for my own habits.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Long story short: I canceled my order then called Botach Tactical and ordered 2400rnds of brand new (2002) IMI-M193 for $2 bucks less than I was going to pay for the 15-20 yr old South African stuff. If it's good enough for the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces), it's good enough for me.

View Quote

I looked at their web site and it didn't even show ammo. Do you have to call them to find out what they have?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Because I have them hoarded up in my basement. A couple years back with the 20% coupon they came out to less than 10cents a round delivered.
Yellow Freight called to see if I had an fork lift. I wish I'd of bought more its great ammo.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got 1500 rounds from a member of this board for $190 shipped and it was even the same year and lot i have been using for 2 years prior so no need to rezero my weapons as of yet
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#31]
WRONG ....
I just got a post card from Sportsman guide that said they had it in.

[red]Edited because I cant read [/red]::: The post card said they DONT HAVE IT IN AND DO I STILL WANY IT?

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I had my order cancelled last month.  The SG catalog that just came in this week lists the SA ammo for sale.  I just called to check on whether it was in or not and they told me it was discontinued.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#33]
From another thread I posted:

"More on SA battlepacks and Sportsmans Guide"
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=172673[/url]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top