Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 5:00:05 PM EDT
Hello, I'm new to the forum.  I've been shooting a friend's AR and I've got the bug.  I'm looking to buy  and was researching what I wanted and what was available.  I came across this site.  I don't know anything about these rifles since I'm basically a shotgun nut.  However, they are fun to shoot, and I'm looking.

What is the advantage to building vs. buying?  Is it the ability to mix and match parts to get the specifc features that you want, saving money, the satisfaction of doing it yourself, or all of the above.  

I guess this question may garner some lip, but it really is a serious question.  I like to know what I'm in for before I plunk down my cash and/or my time so I would appreciate a little insight.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're even slightly mechanically oriented, building is easy to do and loads of fun!  The knowledge gained is invaluable.  I did a RRA/Mega build.  It took two full days to wipe the grin off my face after out shooting my friends factory custom DPMS round for round.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you're even slightly mechanically oriented, building is easy to do and loads of fun!  The knowledge gained is invaluable.

I agree
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It also helps to learn the inner workings of your weapon. I was in the Infantry and we never were allowed to completely disassemble our M-16's. Not until I built my own did I truly get to see how it all goes together and works as a whole. Plus it feels good to know how to build your rifle the way you want it to be. JMHO
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#6]
If you've never built one you'll be inept at troubleshooting one.

All of the above.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Built mine for about $830 so far.

Try that in a local shop. Places in NW Indiana want $1k to even touch a decent AR. Maybe $700 for one with poor fit/finish and post-ban features. Besides that you get the gun YOU want.
The one thing the might cost you is the barrel. You'll want a good one. Chrome Lined, Lightweight, 1/7 is usually in the $300 range. Whereas 1/9 twist HBAR chrome can be had for $200 or less.

For your all around gun 1/9 should be fine, but if you want accuracy at range with heavy bullets. Go 1/7.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:22:33 AM EDT
[#8]
If you build you get what you wont the 1st time. If you buy and have to sell and buy parts for it to get what you wont you end up with more money in it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:46:43 AM EDT
[#9]
One word.... CHEAP!!! I've got $500 into mine.  That is a RRA lower with 6 pos stock, then a standard A2 upper with 16" barrel.
Pretty basic but I'm in the club!!! And it sends the lead down range just as well as my $$$$ DPMS...

Now that I have a shooter I can move on to the cool stuff like the 4 rail hand guards and lights, change the upper to a flattop with a EO tech or Aimpoint then go from there.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:19:22 AM EDT
[#10]
1.  Easy.
2.  Cheaper than buying complete rifle.
3.  Good experience and makes troubleshooting easy.

Did I mention that it's cheap?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the information.  I'm still learning here.  What modifications are good, must have's, not good.  I know that I'll get different answers, but opinions won't hurt.  What is the difference in the features of pre-ban v. post ban, especially now that the ban has been lifted?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Now you can have a threaded barrel and flash suppressor, collapsible stock and bayonet lug. Under the ban those were not allowed on a post ban gun.

Don't forget the EVIL HIGH CAPACITY COP KILLING MAGAZINES!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Its all of the above.  You also learn your weapon system by knowing how it actually functions with all the parts.  

Yep.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top