Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2003 1:32:11 PM EDT
Well, I usually spend the money for top line parts but I happened to see a telescoping stock with all parts for $39.95 on Ebay and said what the heck. I had looked at stocks for $69.95 and above from a reputable wholesaler, but I had to save $30.
You know what, you get what you pay for. Cheasy plastic and the real bonus was trying to make it fit. Thread lineup was off so that one full turn over the buffer detent left about 1mm of tube extening past the receiver so the top end would not close. Back it out one full turn and it was not covering the buffer detent at all. I can't wait to order the best stock I can which is what I should have done first.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Live and learn.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for sharing your experience.  Hopefully, this will be a reminder for the rest of us... there is a difference from price compared to long-term cost.  Translatation = something can cost less, but end up costing more in the long run.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Um... a few strokes with a file and you are good to go.

Now, I want you to write this on the chalkboard 100 times:

"Ebay for SELLING, EE for BUYING."

Mr. Stankey

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:17:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Um... a few strokes with a file and you are good to go.

Now, I want you to write this on the chalkboard 100 times:

"Ebay for SELLING, EE for BUYING."

Mr. Stankey

View Quote

Yup, no more Ebay for me. My one and only time. As for filing, I thought of that. But I would have to re-bevel the entire leading edge of the threaded tube. It also wobbled in the receiver, so it is never going to fit right anyway.
Al
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have bought the "Cheap" ones from both sarco and tapco 29.95 each, and have been completely happy with both types(they probably came from the same place) Tehy went onto the receive without any problems and function fine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thread lineup was off so that one full turn over the buffer detent left about 1mm of tube extening past the receiver so the top end would not close. Back it out one full turn and it was not covering the buffer detent at all.
View Quote

There is no std "timing" when receiver is threaded, or a piece of tubing for the buffer tube. You just need to "time" tube to the receiver. I have one, figured the amount of material to take off, and had friend face the end of the tube so it timed right for my lower.

Full size buffer tubes have the flange that rests against the lower, then the treaded section of the tube is spec'd for length, to retain the pin the tube retains.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I am basically pretty lazy. I want it to work the first go at it. Instead of making an inferior part work I will purchase the better part.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am basically pretty lazy. I want it to work the first go at it. Instead of making an inferior part work I will purchase the better part.
View Quote

Right on[:D]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Beware of cheap Chinese made AR15 parts.  They are out there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#10]
If I pay for a 'new' part I want it to fit first time, not have to work on it with a file....But sometimes its easier than having to send it back and waiting for a replacement if its just a slight adjustment you need to make.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#11]
You didn't waste your money completely, you just bought yourself and expensive lesson.  Besides, Stinkypete is right, you will have to make up what you saved in labor - some judicial filing and problem solved. Rock on!
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 2:46:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I knew I should not have purchased it. I have the funds to buy whatever I want. I do not know what came over me, I just became CHEAP one day while looking at it. Yes I could file the length and rebevel the edge but I can not do anything about the "wobble" of the tube in the receiver and the spring loaded catch that sometimes works. Nope, I knew better.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Hell, beware of cheap Chinese anything. So much of their stuff is made by companies controlled by the  army and run with what amounts to slave labor.

Why support a communist economy? There doesn't seem to be any awareness these days that they actually are our political and economic adversary. I personally try to never purchase anything made there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]
[red][b][size=4]"The bitterness of poor quality far outlasts the sweetness of low price."[/red][/b][/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#15]
What is EE ?  Do you have a link?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#16]
IANick, EE is the Equipment Exchange, you can find some great deals on parts, ammo, complete rifles, mags, optics, etc.  You can find a link from the home page or at the top of this page under the banner ad.  See Home :: Discussion Forums :: Equipment Exchange
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Beware of cheap Chinese made AR15 parts.  They are out there.
View Quote

COUGHModel1COUGHM&ACoughNESARDCOUGH
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Purchasing anything sight unseen is a risky proposition at best. Using EE increases the chances that you will get what you pay for and that the price will be fair. That is because the members of this site would flog some one who cheats another member, and some of these guys have VVVVVEEEEERRRRRYYYY long memories. That said, I have purchases items on ebay that were junk and some that were great deals. The best one was a like new DPMS complete shorty upper including bolt/carrier, charging handle, and 6 position collapsible stock. I paid $165 plus $18 shipping for it. Other items were not as good

[size=4] [red]WTS[/red][/size=4]

[blue]One very used, stripped Colt 1/7, chrome lined 20" HBAR barrel. It has been refinished and looks good. [/blue]

Oh yeah, one more thing:

[size=3][violet] It won't headspace when using a new barrel extension[/violet][/size=3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't that just piss you off when you think you are getting somthing good and you end up with a piece oh s***.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't that just piss you off when you think you are getting somthing good and you end up with a piece oh s***.  
View Quote
Been around AR's for about 18 years and will only buy good parts for them now.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top