Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2011 6:30:52 PM EDT
Did my 12 mile ruck march to pass Air Assault school Friday and I got yelled at for carrying my rifle by the carry handle while jogging for a stint.  Yes you should carry at low ready for tactical reasons.  Army always shuns (from what I've seen so far) using the carry handle so why the hell to they continue to buy and issue m4's and m16's with carry handles??  Why not just buy and issue modernized flat-top uppers??  I'm just curious if its money or politics or what??  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
"Marine response"
Because it's not a fucking carry handle.

Edited to add

[Drill Instructor voice]DO YOU SEE SAMSONITE STAMPED ANYWHERE ON THAT WEAPON?[/Drill Instructor voice]

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"Marine response"

Because it's not a fucking carry handle.

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The main reason it's their is to raise the sights up.  But, in regards to carrying it like that, you can't control the orientation of the business end well by carrying it by the carry handle.    Carry by the slip ring is a better alternative in that regard.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Good question. Too bad Eugene Stoner is dead, that would have been a great question;

"Why did you keep the 'carry handle' on the AR-15 after changing the charging handle?

I think the commonly accepted reason is that the extra metal makes for a more robust platform for the rear sight to be mounted on. I'm positive that if you take even a robust BUIS like the DD 1.5 or the LMT standalone rear sight, and then a similar upper with an A4 carry handle, and then proceed to drop the rifle on it's rear sight from various angles, that the carry handle (or especially a fixed A2) will have less zero shift than the standalone.

But that's pure, unadulterated spculation. Take it for what it is.

The more likely explanation is economics. Colt and FN were maiking various M16-pattern rifles for decades, and then the military demands a flat-top upper. This is before widespread prevalence of quality aftermarket BUIS, especially ones the military approves for use. So, for the provision of a rear sight, mounting of existing optics systems (cantilever and top-mounts), and perhaps retaining the traditional profile of the M16, they make a detachable carry handle. Of course, once standalone BUIS become popular, Colt and FN already have the machines for making the carry handle. And the military pays for the carry handle anyway, so why stop making it?

Plus, they make interesting forward grips on A4s.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Super early AR's actually had a cocking lever in the carry handle. I would love to buy one of these old ones.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
This is why actually!

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
In addition to a more robust platform to mount the rear sight, it also makes it possible to add a scope through the hole in the carry handle channel.

True, they should just go with flat top recievers now that picatinny rails are all the rage.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys are awesome, I'm actually learning a thing or two.  Haha yes it's not a samsonite!  With the ammount of abuse these weapons go through getting dropped and slammed/thrown around I can see the merit in having the extra metal around the sight to make it more durable and thrash-resistant.  My unit is actually sending me to Unit Armorer school in 3 weeks, I'm sure i'll learn alot of cool stuff there too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#9]

This is correct.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Old charging handle, didnt know that!
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The sights are mounted at that height because the stock is inline with the barrel, and if the sights were mounted low to the receiver like traditionally stocked rifles, there would be no way to look through them.  As shown in the post above, the "handle" came from  covering the charging handle.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I always thought that original design made a lot of sense. I have never liked the charging handle as it now is located. But as far as carrying the rifle with the carry handle, you have to remember that they're dealing with soldiers, so they know that you have to eliminate bad habits and build good ones through dogma, and it works. If you never get used to carrying it by the handle during training, you won't try it where it could get you hurt. Not being in that situation, I find the carry handle convenient to use sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I love the carry handle. To me, it's the defining feature of the AR-15/M16 platform. The only time I carry my rifles by them, though is when I'm moving them around the house. As previously stated, the handle was meant to house the trigger type charging handle and elevate the rear sight assembly due to the AR-15's in-line design. You'll be hard-pressed to get your hands to fit between the slot in an A4 handle unless you have extremely small hands, which suggests that Colt had no intentions of the rifle being carried that way when they designed the detachable carry handle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The biggest 'derp' of the carry handle on a flattop receiver is that the rifles don't even fit in mil rifle racks with the carry handles attached.
I always see hem mounted with the handle mounted one slot back; I guess you're supposed to remember to remove and replace the carry handle correctly ever time it goes in and out of the arms room?

Worst case I saw was a guy bought a damn NICE new cmp AR, asked his retired Marine buddy to look it over. Dude made him take the carry handle off, And remount it hanging OFF the receiver. Because apparently that's the "correct" way to mount the carry handle.  That was an epic facepalm moment.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I put a sandwich in my cary handle to fill in that wasted void
Between shots I takea bite of the corner that hasnt been marred up by ejected brass
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
my ar has wheels at the stock end so i can drag it like a Samsonite.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Are you a midget?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You should try to take it onto an airplane as a carry on and let us know what happens.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#19]
The military flat tops (M4, A4) are all doing away with the carry handle and going to the matech.

The only flat tops that are using the carry handle are the ones with a M203 attached for the quad sight to mount too.

With the A2 its still a crap shoot as you are stuck with it until you get A4's.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should try to take it onto an airplane as a carry on and let us know what happens.  

Actually if you have no brass no ammo and have been brass rodded twice its ok...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#21]

well lookie there.....never knew, learn something everyday!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#22]
There was a post awhile ago somewhere in which a fellow did some receiver flex testing with and without the un-carry handle.
Was quite a bit less flex with it than without apparently.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#23]

I doubt any owner hasn't picked up his AR by the conveniently located handle and looking in the mirror or glass patio door realized he looked like a tool, half ground pounder, half business man with a briefcase. Although I read somewhere in the history of the AR that Stoner did in fact intend the AR to be carried by, guess what...
the carry handle!  

I did not know that about the charging devise. Would you happen to know what years they were made?

One thing I like about a carry handle is it is the signature look of a black rifle. I do however like an LMT stand alone for better balance.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#24]
My gf calls it a "purse handle". Thankfully, none of my rifles have carry handles anymore.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#25]
May I be the first to congratulate the OP for passing air assault school and for having the nads to come on ARFCOM and admit that he is a vagina for trying the ultimate bitch-move of using the "carry handle".  Why were you not cured of this stupidity in Basic Training? I blame your drill sergeants. They have failed you, and you have failed them AND the army, and ARFCOM.

Go outside and smoke yourself.

BWHAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:51:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Colt still ships brand new M4s with regular fat handguards and carry handles on them in the plain brown boxes most likely cause there has been no modification to the purchase order telling them to stop.  Once at unit level the handle goes into a box of other CHs and handguards and MATECH sights and Knights handguards go on the carbine.  The cycle keeps repeating this.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:40:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:One thing I like about a carry handle is it is the signature look of a black rifle.

Wait... I thought the signature look of the black rifle was 5lbs of crap occupying every inch of rail space on a railed forearm?

[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:47:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:One thing I like about a carry handle is it is the signature look of a black rifle.

Wait... I thought the signature look of the black rifle was 5lbs of crap occupying every inch of rail space on a railed forearm?

[/sarcasm]

Just for the record: Some people actually only mount things that improve the capability of the rifle and don't just put everything they can on there just because there's open rail space.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is correct.

Learn something new every day.  Cool.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
May I be the first to congratulate the OP for passing air assault school and for having the nads to come on ARFCOM and admit that he is a vagina for trying the ultimate bitch-move of using the "carry handle".  Why were you not cured of this stupidity in Basic Training? I blame your drill sergeants. They have failed you, and you have failed them AND the army, and ARFCOM.

BWHAHAHAHAHA

This

Congrats for becoming a dope on a rope.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just for the record: Some people actually only mount things that improve the capability of the rifle and don't just put everything they can on there just because there's open rail space.  

I know, I've been .mil since '93 (not a shooter/door-kicker, but a support guy).
You've gotta admit, though, that there's a significant percentage of black rifle owners who DO subscribe to the "zomg open rail space! must fill it with ________!" mentality.  That's why I threw the [/sarcasm] in there...
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I doubt any owner hasn't picked up his AR by the conveniently located handle and looking in the mirror or glass patio door realized he looked like a tool, half ground pounder, half business man with a briefcase. Although I read somewhere in the history of the AR that Stoner did in fact intend the AR to be carried by, guess what...
the carry handle!  

I did not know that about the charging devise. Would you happen to know what years they were made?

One thing I like about a carry handle is it is the signature look of a black rifle. I do however like an LMT stand alone for better balance.

The top famas looking chargig handles were on the very first ar-10's that stoner designed
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Why because some goes dont have BUISs and the carry handle is the iron sights.Originally it was there because the charging handle ran inside it,Secondary it holds the iron sights.......but like i was told long ago dont John Wayne the rifle...a coined phrase because of hoe he carried the rifle in the Green Berets and while on that subject those operators prefer to be refered to as Army Special Forces not Green Berets.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BWHAHAHAHAHA

This

still a leg
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Some Military's issued weapons with dedicated carry handles, for actually carrying the rifle:

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/show_large_img.cfm?fullsize_thumbs/981248145.jpg
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#36]
When there are no NCO's around I carry mine by the carry handle because I'm a rebel...
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BWHAHAHAHAHA

This

still a leg

What do they say..."To scared to jump, too lazy to walk."

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Ahhhh "dope on a rope".  Sorry couldn't stop myself, but then again I'm only ex Army MP K9 and a leg.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Did my 12 mile ruck march to pass Air Assault school Friday and I got yelled at for carrying my rifle by the carry handle while jogging for a stint.  Yes you should carry at low ready for tactical reasons.  Army always shuns (from what I've seen so far) using the carry handle so why the hell to they continue to buy and issue m4's and m16's with carry handles??  Why not just buy and issue modernized flat-top uppers??  I'm just curious if its money or politics or what??  Thanks guys.

You should have just broke the rifle down into the upper and lower receivers and packed both into your ruck for the 12 miler.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
When there are no NCO's around I carry mine by the carry handle because I'm a rebel...

Stick it to the man!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Dont feel bad I got caught doing that in AIT and got the same corrective action.  that was in 97 and I never did it since lol!
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#42]
The FAMAS has a stupid-large carry handle for the same reason:
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/FAMAS/FAMAS_G2Right.jpg

It was obviously designed for animals other than humans.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I think a lot of people overlook the fact that the detachable handle acts as a rail cover as well as a sight assembly. Hell, if you put it on the bottom of your rail, it even acts as a handstop or VFG, and we all know that everyone here loves those things. Well, everyone except me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/FAMAS/FAMAS_G2Right.jpg

Finally, a carry handle my manhands will fit.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BWHAHAHAHAHA

This

Congrats for becoming a leg on a rope.

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

[/sarcasm]

I usually rent the open rail space out to offset ammo prices.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Congrats on your passing the Course, that is one of two handles you shouldn't grab. LOL.

Steve E........
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Colt still ships brand new M4s with regular fat handguards and carry handles on them in the plain brown boxes most likely cause there has been no modification to the purchase order telling them to stop.  Once at unit level the handle goes into a box of other CHs and handguards and MATECH sights and Knights handguards go on the carbine.  The cycle keeps repeating this.

Last batch my unit got in had MATECH sights and Knights rails already on. No fat handguards or carry handles in sight and they only thing we had to put on were the Aimpoint M4S red dots that came with them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top