Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2003 4:40:00 AM EDT
I need a new set of removeable mounts to set my Leupold 12x scope in on my new RRA varmint upper.

They have to be return to zero mounts that can be easily removed then reinstalled because i will switching scopes for day and night hunting.

Looking at the Leupold system for around $50 but will pay more if those are not recommended by experienced users.

thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:47:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Believe you'll fine the best in repeatable zero mounting, from these guys here: [url]http://www.armsmounts.com/list.html[/url]

MSTN, CMMG and others on the EE sell ARMS products, check w/ them.....

Mike
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#2]
ARMS.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#3]
For your application ARMS mounts sound very good and the recomendations are valid. There are others with equal or better repeatablilty out there. I have (and still am) using GG&G products that are equal to or above the rest for my applications. WAR FIGHTING.

Dont let dollars decide what is the best. Also don't let arm chair warriors tell you what works best. Consult a person who has used products in the worst environments.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with Troy. The Armalite mount is excellent.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
REM700 - I have an Armalite mount (1") I'll let go for $50 plus shipping. Let me know if ur interested
Doc
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that the ARMS #35 gives more options of mounting that any other one piece, because it's also modular. The #22 high's and high's from other companies can handle the majority of all long scopes, and the throw lever #22's are the best repeat of all in my experience.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have found that the best thing to do is not take the sight off. : ) Of course that doesn't work for you or does it: MONOLOC NVD clamps onto scopes eyebell.

I've never tested ARMS mounts with an accurate scope. I've had them but never removed them once zeroed. (an Aimpoint is not an accurate scope as far as I care.).

I've tested WEAVER (simmons marketed)  rings and know they hold about 1 MOA.  that isn't very good (however using like 4 simmons 4x4 rings instead of 2 will cut down on that maybe in half.

I've heard really good things about Leupolds QD base and rings the ones with the 2 levers on the side.

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey Swatdoc,

I sent you an email about buying the 1" Armalite mount. Let me know if you didn't receive.

Appreciate it,
HS
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Arms and Armalite both make excellent systems.  And there  is a reason they sell more product - price perfromance.

But, your title asked who makes the  BEST.  Well, the answer is US Optics.  Yup.  Overengineered, overpriced, and absolutely pure.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=4601&iGalleryUnq=701&iImageUnq=16409[/img]

[url]http://www.usoptics.com/usPosiTac.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#11]
SwatDoc,
Do you still have the mount? If so please e-mail me at [email protected]

Greg
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Well it sure is obvious what the snipers in Spec ops decided was best for combat and the repeat on off ability for their SPR's, #22med
on the SPR rail, or 22high off the receiver. They have to switch out devices and don't need something that won't repeat dead on every time.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for ARMS #22 rings. After owning a set of 'em, they're the only scope rings I'm ever going to use.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#15]
uhhhhhhh... just curious... why do you need a forward vertical handle for a varmint gun?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#16]
ARMS #22 Medium sitting on an ARMS #38 works for me.  The Medium length is good enough for most applications I've seen, although many people around here seem to favor the long version.  The short version doesn't extend your mounting surface, so aside from being a riser with BUIS built in, I don't really see the point.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
uhhhhhhh... just curious... why do you need a forward vertical handle for a varmint gun?
View Quote

The vert grip is to earn valuable BLING-BLING points.  Where you been dude ???? [spank] The game is whoever earns the most BLING-BLING points wins. [whacko]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#18]
A quality scope mount is only one half of the equation for repeatable zero.  Also need a rail that is properly machined.  I have come across different flattop receivers that have had some errors in machining, and this isn't specific to any one brand, even seen it with Colt.  If the rail is not uniformly machined along its length, you are going to have problems with a repeatable zero.

It should be noted that no matter how tight you attach the mount to a rail, it will move on the rail to what ever amount the recoil lug allows in the rail cutout.  I have seen mounts using thumb screws that were really cranked down, move rearward on the rail, [b]against the recoil[/b], yet once the screws loosened up a bit, allowed the mount to move forward with recoil.  However, with throw levers, your tension will stay even, and usually after firing about five rounds, the mount will settle into its happy spot, and generally not move from then on until being removed and replaced.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#20]
ARMS
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone tried Badger rings on a flattop?  I know they make an extra high ring for the application.  I have them on 2 Rem 700s and I can pull the scopes and reinstall them with minimal change in zero.  I am also using Badger bases which are made to tight tolerances.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#22]
The cross bars that fit tight into the notches are fine to a piont, but not for combat purposes. There is no reaward motion of optic mounts from recoil, all rifles recoil to the rear and all mounts move foward, (for every action there is a reaction). Extra space is built in around the military (rectangular)cross bars so that dirt, debri, etc., is not going to clog up the notch on the sides or bottom of the notch. To tight tolerances can prevent a soldier from putting another divice into the notch in a muddy, etc., enviroment.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I have seen mounts move rearward under recoil.  After discussing this with a friend, we hypothesized that this phenomenon was due to a combination of stress waves initiated in the upper reciever from cycling of the action and the difference between static and dynamic friction coefficients.  Basically what happens is that when the rifle initially recoils backward, the static friction is keeping the mount stationary, then a combination of recoil and stress waves negate the static friction case and the dynamic friction coefficient takes over.  The dynamic friction coefficient being lower than the static coefficient allows the mount to move, however, at this point the rifle is now being pushed forward again by the user, causing the mount to move rearward.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:33:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Jason_H

That's very good. I suppose the mount you observer was made by a slit slot slant slitter? LOL
Good shootin, Jack
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top