Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 5:30:31 PM EDT
I picked up a Grip Pod at a show today for a good price.  I got the one with the metal inserts in the bipod.  I've not mounted or shot with it yet.

What are the experiences of others with them?  Like them, waste of space, in between, etc?

It seems a well made grip, and nice and solid, thought a bit heavy.  Should be fun to try out.  How solid of a mount is it in useage?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
There's thousands of 'em getting banged around in theater every day.

They ain't sexy, not made by Magpul, but I like 'em anyway...handy combination.

If nothing else, it gives the fobbits a cool way to rest their weapons (on the bipod) in the DFAC.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My unit was issued those at the begining of our last deployment and about 90% of the guys put them on.  By the end of the deployment only about 10% still had them on.  They either broke or were taken off cause they were so big and heavy.  It's a cool idea and if your not humping it around or using it hard then they are great.  I never even took mine out of the wrapper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I do.

It mounts solidly, but it is a little heavy. I'm not humping my rifle up and down hills so I don't really sweat it.

My only fuss is that the thumb screw isn't reversible, or at least lower profile. I mount my light at 9 o'clock so it really isn't an issue, but if I preferred it at 3 o'clock it definitely would be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it a solid mount for aiming?  

Should be a fun toy and good for light duty, but as the troops have said, if I had to hump it up and down 10K mountains I'd probably pitch it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is it a solid mount for aiming?  

I used it when I zeroed my ACOG. Worked pretty well for me.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Usually so lazy idiots can set them down in chow halls - has been useful.

I'm trying to modify an AFG to be cut down in front of one - have a usable angled handstop, and still be able to deploy a bipod from it.  A heavy half-ass solution, but I think it might work.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KG mauserman:
My unit was issued those at the begining of our last deployment and about 90% of the guys put them on.  By the end of the deployment only about 10% still had them on.  They either broke or were taken off cause they were so big and heavy.  It's a cool idea and if your not humping it around or using it hard then they are great.  I never even took mine out of the wrapper.

Shhhh... Don't let 23Skidoo hear you say that... there awesome and they have contracts worth millions that proves your wrong...

I always thought they were a stupid idea on a carbine... I have heard feed back from SAW gunners who seem to like them when running the smaller chopped model and not the full size, but the majority of them for sale on the EE are sold by guys who has them issued and purchased by guys who shoot once a month at the range....

Theirs a clue...
I use to see a few in carbine classes, but folks are getting smart.. last class I took (29 shooters) and not a one... learning is occurring.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know.  Seems like a good idea, and it's well made looking.  Certainly better tactically than a grip and a seperate bi-pod.

I have such bony elbows I can't really get into a good four point position with legs and elbows to support things.  I'll try it out and see how it works.

As for the carbine class thing, it use there all depends on how the class is set up.  If it's all firing on the move, or kneeing, or not that long of shots, then no, the grip pod would not serve a purpose.  But if there's a long shot you need to take, it would help out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Use a little thought on this... if your running a DMR type rifle, then your going to run a real bipod.. if your running a carbine, the whole point of a carbine is to be reasonably light and handy, if you need to run out to some distance, you can mono pod the magazine and take shots out to 300m all day (with a reddot as well).

This is just more shit to hang on your gun for little value...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I currently have two of them. One is on my patrol rifle. So far it's held up after two years of getting knocked around in training and classes. I do not feel it's one more thing hanging off my rifle that has no value. As a VFG it's just as good as any other. As a bipod it works too. I see many of these in images from OEF / OIF so the Mil guys must like them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I realy like mine.

Amos1909
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Too big and unergonomic for me, The only thing I like VFG-wise are stubbies and handstops.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I picked up a Grip Pod at a show today for a good price.  I got the one with the metal inserts in the bipod.  I've not mounted or shot with it yet.

What are the experiences of others with them?  Like them, waste of space, in between, etc?

It seems a well made grip, and nice and solid, thought a bit heavy.  Should be fun to try out.  How solid of a mount is it in useage?

Thanks,

The US Army loves the things...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They are the lightest way to have an easy way to leave a weapon on the floor in the DFAC  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I liked mine.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are the lightest way to have an easy way to leave a weapon on the floor in the DFAC  

1 used in that manner pays for a whole lot more, in terms of money saved on the weapon-leaver's pay...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm really on the fence with mine. Love the ability to have a vfg and bipod in one but the size turns me off. But, it looks like they might have a new model coming out that might be smaller in size. I just saw this over at defensereview.com, check out the pic of the Stoner LMG...

http://www.defensereview.com/kac-stoner-lmg-belt-fed-5-56mm-nato-lightweight-light-machine-gun-squad-automatic-weapon-lmgsaw-displayed-at-sofic-2010/

But ultimately, I think I like it better than running a Harris bipod with a seperate vfg.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top