Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 11:08:29 AM EDT
I just got my new Beowulf upper in on Friday.  I had originally ordered from CSS a free floated upper with muzzle brake, but decided that I couldn't wait for that long and got one of the standard uppers from somewhere else.  I'd like to free-float the barrel on this one and was wondering if a standard tube(for instance this DPMS from Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=552540) would work.  I don't need any rails or anything fancy, I'd just like to get as much accuracy as possible out of this upper.  I looked at the tacked thread about the .50 Beo, but the links for the compatible foreends just bring you back to the main board.  Any info greatly appreciated.

Erud
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
erud,
I installed a SIR on my current one.
for the most part it's free floated.(clamps on the barrel nut.)
On the other one I sold I had the alostyr's on it.(installs just like normal hand guards)
I can't really notice a whole lot of difference in accuracy.Just ads verstility by being able to put on accesories.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm planning on free floating my standard Overmatch upper as soon as it comes in.

I've got a YHM mid length 4rail free float handguard and  my tools ready,  a new 4.5" vise mounted, and instructions from the "do it youself section" printed out and waiting for that bad boy to get here.  (Should be tomorrow)

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  So will pretty much any aftermarket tube work?  I haven't removed an AR foreend before, but it looks like it is pretty straight-forward.  Just want to be sure I don't get a tube that's not compatible.

Thanks,
Erud
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
im going to point out now that if you have an AA brake installed it will be a pita to remove to install any type of freefloat that requires removal of the barrel nut, fsb and whatever else.

i tried removing mine and that green loctite is like welding the brake on.

i plan on going with something like the samson or troy freefloat which doesnt require removal of anything other than the delta ring.

also note that the diameter of the beowulf barrel is going to be slight bigger similar to a bull barrel and will require the i.d. of the new barrel nut to be opened up. i had to do it on my bull barrel when installing the yhm freefloat and talked with mstn and he stated to install the larue he had to do some slight modifying to the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
FFHG were installed - my BEFORE was OK accurate but would shift as it heated.  FFHG diminished this while enhancing accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
installed a Predator P-9X on my Beowulf.  I think it looks EVIL!  Very easy to do if you have simple tools.  I used a DPMS multi wrench, a $15 AR punch set, and an action block in a vise.  Took 30 minutes or less.  Kind of fun.  

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Predator P-9 on mine from POF-USA. It was a fun and learning install. Once I got that done it was like when I built a lower with parts...instills alot of confidence and a big chunk of "I used to pay someone to do that?!? What was I thinking?"  

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
im going to point out now that if you have an AA brake installed it will be a pita to remove to install any type of freefloat that requires removal of the barrel nut, fsb and whatever else.

i tried removing mine and that green loctite is like welding the brake on.

i plan on going with something like the samson or troy freefloat which doesnt require removal of anything other than the delta ring.

also note that the diameter of the beowulf barrel is going to be slight bigger similar to a bull barrel and will require the i.d. of the new barrel nut to be opened up. i had to do it on my bull barrel when installing the yhm freefloat and talked with mstn and he stated to install the larue he had to do some slight modifying to the barrel nut.

My YHM went on just fine without any mods.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool!  What model YHM did you go with?  They make good stuff, I am eagerly awaiting pics...

Erud
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Erud

I went with the Light weight Mid-Length Length (Overall length: 9.2 in), Weight 12.4 oz. YHM-9634.  

I'm very happy with it.  For what I use it for, I couldn't see spending $250-$300 for something else when I could pick up the YHM for under $100.

The only problem is, as mentioned in the picture thread, that the YHM gas block flip up sight won't fold down completely when installed normally (flipping back to the shooter).  Others have noted this problem with the other 4 rail handguard brands as well.  I just flipped mine around so that it folds to the muzzle end.

Still working on posting pics, been real busy lately.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top