Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 9:36:34 AM EDT
I'm trying to weigh my options in a .22 AR, and am trying to compile a list of all the manufactures of them.

So far I have:
Colt M4 Ops
S&W M&P 15-22
Bushmaster Carbon .22
Olymipic K22

Other rifles that LOOK like ARs but aren't:
Remington 597 VTR ATACS
Ruger SR-22
Sig 522

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#1]
CMMG has the Evolution. Check the CMMG Industry forum for info.
It uses actual AR upper and lower.
From what I understand, Colt has a plastic lower.

I believe Spikes will be making dedicated uppers. No kits anymore.

Nordic
Tactical Solutions
There are some others but I don't have much info on them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
CMMG has the Evolution. Check the CMMG Industry forum for info.
It uses actual AR upper and lower.
From what I understand, Colt has a plastic lower.

I believe Spikes will be making dedicated uppers. No kits anymore.

Nordic
Tactical Solutions
There are some others but I don't have much info on them.

My bad, I should have specified –– I meant dedicated .22 rifles, not conversions or uppers.

my bad again, I see now what you mean –– there is a CMMG dedicated rifle.  First I was looking under the Evolution drop down which shows conversions only.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Forget the Colt (all cast and VERY nonstandard) and too much money, a Colt in name only,  and Bushmaster (nonstandard and poorly supported)..
The S&W is pretty good, though flexy. Milspec triggers fit.
I just got a Sig to go along with my couple of dozen BDM mags and  four dedicated .22 AR uppers. I'm favorably impressed with mine (bought barely used for $325 OTD).
The extruded aluminum upper on the Sig is SOLID! Lower is polymer. No trigger options.
I have not touched but would have no hesitation to drop coin on either CMMG. The less expensive one has a polymer buffer tube, but is milspec.
TaSol's upper has a good reputation for function and accuracy.
Spike's Tactical will be happy to whip up a complete rifle.
The Oly uses a well established bolt system that is incompatible with the commonly available magazines used with Atchisson based systems ( Ciener M1S, CMMG, Armalite, Tacsol, etc). Oly's M-261 bolt system has mags readily available from Black Dog (also makes the mags for Sig and everybody else except CMMG). This bolt is used by Compass Lake on their $1100 match uppers.
Model 1 Sales (nearly local to me and frequently seen at gunshows) makes reasonable quality stuff, and offers a complete rifle kit (less stripped lower) at an attractive price, but I keep hearing stories of spotty service. My last transaction was last week; I needed 2 collars for a project ( lefty .22 ARs, if you must know). I called Tuesday and received the parts by USPS  Thursday or Friday. Ask for the .22 guy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Forget the Colt (all cast and VERY nonstandard) and too much money, a Colt in name only,  and Bushmaster (nonstandard and poorly supported)..
I just got a Sig to go along with my couple of dozen BDM mags and  four dedicated .22 AR uppers. I'm favorably impressed with mine (bought barely used for $325 OTD).
The extruded aluminum upper on the Sig is SOLID! Lower is polymer. No trigger options.
I have not touched but would have no hesitation to drop coin on either CMMG. The less expensive one has a polymer upper, but is milspec.
The Oly uses a well established bolt system that is incompatible with the commonly available magazines used with Atchisson based systems ( Ciener M1S, CMMG, Armalite, Tacsol, etc). Oly's M-261 bolt system has mags readily available from Black Dog (also makes the mags for Sig and everybody else except CMMG). This bolt is used by Compass Lake on their $1100 match uppers.
Model 1 Sales (nearly local to me and frequently seen at gunshows) makes reasonable quality stuff, and offers a complete rifle kit (less stripped lower) at an attractive price, but I keep hearing stories of spotty service. My last transaction was last week; I needed 2 collars for a project ( lefty .22 ARs, if you must know). I called Tuesday and received the parts by USPS  Thursday or Friday. Ask for the .22 guy.

What "Polymer upper" are you talking about?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have not touched but would have no hesitation to drop coin on either CMMG. The less expensive one has a polymer upper, but is milspec.

Wow –– that's a lot of great info and good to know.  It's actually for a potential article –– if I do it, I'll get one of each to test.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I screwed up.

I may have been thinking of an ATI or Chiappa upper.

CMMG's Quebec and Quebec-A have milspec alloy uppers, although the Quebec has a milspec polymer buffer tube.

My thanks to Shadowcop. I've edited my original post.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The Bushmaster Carbon 15 has a polymer lower, that might have been what you were thinking.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I screwed up.

I may have been thinking of an ATI or Chiappa upper.

CMMG's Quebec and Quebec-A have milspec alloy uppers, although the Quebec has a milspec polymer buffer tube.

My thanks to Shadowcop. I've edited my original post.

I see the plastic buffer tube listed in the specs. Mine came with an aluminum tube.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#9]
You could be really different & get a made in England Bradley Arms dedicated AR15 .22lr.

They rock.

Andy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:22:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I have first hand experience with Spike's Green Mountain M4 / Lothar Walther M4 and Bull Barrel 18",
Tactical Solutions M4, and CMMG's Sierra M4 Upper. I've also built with Target Master and Beyer Barrel.

All have been been exceptional for reliability, all have their high points. They have been accurate to varying degrees
mainly depending on the barrels that were used. The entry level offerings of all these companies ( Where Available)
are all within reason similarly accurate. the quality has been very high with all. I wouldn't hesitate for a second buying
any of the components or complete uppers from any of these manufacturers.

Colt, Smith and Wesson, Sig, Ati and Chiappa, I have steered clear of for one reason or another. Nordic Components
at one time talked with me about testing their product but that didn't materialize for one reason or another. I believe
they have a quality product but can't really back that up with hands on experience.

Right now, CMMG has the Evolution System which will offer innovations beyond what even I can comprehend. Their goal
is a complete rifle that can be bought as a whole or as individual parts. Additional components of this system can now be
bought as they become available. At completion of the project, ordering a rifle from them will be like ordering an Alienware
computer. You will be able to have Mild to Wild. Prices will range from the Evolution Conversion Unit up to a Match Capable
Complete AR-22. The uppers will start at the lowest price which is now $349.95 or a complete rifle now starting at $549.95.
At present the Quebec Rifle's price is comparable with other manufacturers uppers.

Bottom line, what do you want and what are you willing to pay

Note: Other uppers and rifles are available, I believe the ones I've mentioned are the major players. In numbers if nothing else.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, but you would say that.

Hang on, so would I.

As I understand it, Sabre Defence are due to re-release their dedicated .22 as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:19:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Spike's Tactical dedicated .22LR upper Model ST-22. Also sold as a complete rifle. I have one of the first production runs and it goes to the range with me every time. Once tuned and broken in, it is flawless.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bottom line, what do you want and what are you willing to pay...

What would you recommend for me to get for my 10yo girl?  I'd like to keep it under $500 if I can.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Keeping it under $500.00, You have limited yourself to Smith and Wesson.
It really depends on her. If she's small, it's light weight may be the best choice
rather than a Mil Spec Compatible AR. My Grandson was 10 last time they
visited. The AR's were a little heavy for him. He shot one of my Lighter Tacticool
10/22's and he was very happy with it. Now if he visits at 12, I think he may be
good with any of the lighter dedicated AR-22's. The least expensive of which is
the CMMG base Quebec Rifle. $549.95 + possible Shipping and Dealer Receiving
Fee. Unless you could find one locally. I don't think you will be able to do that yet.

Best to let her handle the choices and have her decide without you swaying her....

Good Luck,
Dave
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Dave.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top