Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 8:35:08 AM EDT
I found out they come clockwise and counter clockwise.  Which one should I get?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:17:39 AM EDT
[#1]
GET THE G6 VORTEX AT SMITH ENTERPRISE
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Or the Tactical vortex by Smith.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Azeric, I just picked up a Vortex for my pre-ban M4-gery and had the same question you had. It went on a brand new pre-ban Bushmaster upper which uses the "standard" threads. That means I just called up Ron Smith (the SMITH in Smith Enterprises), placed the order with him and told him what I had, it came in and fit fine. I'd bet if you did exactly the same thing, you'll be fine.

BTW, just to clear up any confusion (see DOA's post), there is no "Tactical" Vortex. Smith Enterprises only makes one Vortex for the AR-15/M-4/M16 and it's the G-6 as aljeann stated in his post.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The clockwise and counter clockwise option was with the twist with the 4 prongs and not the threads.  I see Smith goes with a clockwise twist.  Any difference?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm sorry azeric. I misread your question.

After researching flash hiders, I came to the conclusion that the one offered by Smith Enterprises was the best available. I recall a few other places offering their version of the Vortex and, IIRC, one of them had straight prongs but I don't recall ever hearing anyone mention anything about CW or CCW prongs.

All that being said, if you want a flash hider to do what it's supposed to do - hide ALL of the muzzle flash - get the Smith Enterprises version and you will not be disappointed. There are quite a few members that swear by the Smith Vortex and they mentioned it by brand. I suppose the twist of the prongs vs. the twist of the barrel's rifling might have some affect on it but I never say any mention of it.

Bottom line - get the Smith and you will not be sorry. I've seen pics of the difference it makes (I've yet to test my rifle at night with it) and it's phenomenal. It really does get rid of all the flash - period.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I swung by Smith Enterprise's shop over lunch and picked up a couple.  Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

BTW, just to clear up any confusion (see DOA's post), there is no "Tactical" Vortex. Smith Enterprises only makes one Vortex for the AR-15/M-4/M16 and it's the G-6 as aljeann stated in his post.

Hope that helps.
View Quote

Matt, Smith has made several kinds of Vortex flash suppressors, including the Tactical. See these links.
[url]http://www.smithenterprise.com/sof_sep99.htm [/url]
and [url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=18711&title=TACTICAL+RIFLE+TACTICAL+VORTEX+FLASH+HIDER [/url]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Right now there are two, the one with and the one without the ring for the Blank Firing Adapter. There used to be another, the one shown in the SOF link, but it has been discontinued.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was ready to buy, I went directly to their site and placed my order with Mr. Smith. When I placed the order, there was only one model offered - the current G6-A1. I was unaware the previous model was still available through some sources. Sorry about any confusion. My mistake.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
vortex made 2 types of fh but the 1st model was already discountinued. get the 2nd model u wont regret having it and looks better for me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Well they actually made at least 3 versions.  Perhaps it's the G[b]6[/b] cause the current one is the sixth?  I have the two models that were made before the current one with the BFA ring.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top