Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2003 2:26:30 PM EDT
I'm starting my first build. I'll probably
just do the  lower and buy my upper.
On a large scale though;
What tools must I have
What tools should I have next
and what are your favorite ( brand specific)
tool chest items or home made widgets ??
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
For a lower you could use a set of roll pin punches, a screw driver or allen wrench for the grip, a pivot pin detent tool, and depending on your stock, a spanner wrench. That's pretty much it for a lower.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Should the punches be brass?  I figure If I buy a tool or two each time I order something I'll get what I need before I need it.
Thanks,
Joel
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
No the punches do not have to be brass. I got steel punches from SEARS. I only needed 2 punches, 3/32 and 1/8, a hammer, a allen key or screw driver for the grip and stock and a 1/4 clevis pin for a pivot pin install tool 32 cents from Home Depot). I also used a pipe wrench to snug up the buffer tube.

All you have to do is read the assembly instructions found on this web site and you will be fine. It only took me half a hour to put the lower togather and that was while I was reading the instructions.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
[b]There are special roll pin punches made for installing the roll pins in the kits, they are available from Brownells.[/b]

The lower requires 2 different ones, they are about $3 each, and for small items such as these the shipping costs $3.60 and they are mailed first class.

230-100-004  Roll Pin Punch #4
230-100-003  Roll Pin Punch #3

[url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5551&title=ROLL+PIN+PUNCHES[/url]

Those were the only tools needed to assemble the lower.  They aren't absolutely necessary, but they will save you from buggering up the roll pins.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the referance. How about things I'll need at the range or in the field? I've read lots of threads on rifle components and specs.
The vision I am trying to achieve is a plastic toolbox with items I'll need at some time or another. Through the years I'm sure members of
this forum have acquired "stuff".  I have stuff from all of my other interests. I going to have stuff from this one as well.  I just don't have
it accumulated yet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
All I had was a set of pin punches from SEARS, a hammer, and a rubber mallet... oh, and some duck tape*.  I could not find a set of roll pin punches locally, or even someone who knew what one was.  

A set of roll pin holders, and a pivot pin tool would have made things a lot easier.

* - it was duck tape before it became duct tape
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Its all in here; [url]ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I suggest you keep some small pieces of thin  cardboard handy to lay under your pin punch when driving rollpins. The cardboard will prevent marring the lower if the punch slips. Also, sources for rollpin punches are a W W Grainger Supply or online at www.McMaster.com.
PS, Despite what the instructions say, I prefer to install the safety selector before the trigger and hammer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]
The thin cardboard is a good idea, I used masking tape, that was a little too light, duct tape or the cardboard Sanlanman suggested would be better.  Out of curiosity I checked Grainger's for the roll pin punches, their price is substantially higher than Brownells.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top