Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 4:24:18 PM EDT
Since I havent gotten the Dillon up and running yet, I find myself in the market for some match ammo.  I have been shooting Samson 70 grain FMJBT and really like it, but my stash is dwindling.  At $3 / 20 it was an absolute steal, and it was accurate enough to produce a 439-2x last weekend.  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=10&t=379773 I wish I could find some more of it.  

I bought a single box [all they had] of BH 68 gr match up at the Gander Mountain in Peoria, and determined that it shoots pretty close to the same POI as the samson, but it is $18.xx for a 50 round box, and I have to drive 90 miles one way to buy more of it.  The only place I have seen that has this in quantity is the Gander Mountain in Terre Haute, but again, that's over 200 miles round trip, and still almost $19 a box.

I found a place www.georgia-arms.com that offers G223M 68gr BT Hollow Pt. Match $250.00 per thousand [$12.50 per 50] and that seems like a pretty good deal but I have never seen/shot any of it.  The only results I turned up on a search revealed their 55gr load is pretty well liked but I didn't find any mention of heavier loads.

So, in the meantime while I prepare to reload, is there a better deal on accuracy loads than the Georgia arms ammo?  Does anyone have any experience with it?  Anybody have any other suggestions?  Any place to get the BH 68 grainers for a better deal than full retail?  The best I can do locally is Fed 77gr SMK at $26 a box for 20.  I don't think I can afford to be that accurate.  I just want an economical round that I can buy a case or so to tide me over until I get my own production up and running..
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]
from what I understand about Black Hills you have tried their .223 68 GR round.  Wether it be match, HPBT, OTM or what ever.

Black Hills is a little bit expensive but from what I understand their quality ammo preformance is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, I found a single box for sale up in Peoria.  It is the 68 gr BTHP match ammo, and it is great stuff, but availability is my issue.  I hate to have to pay premium price AND have to pay shipping...  Supposedly Gander Mountain does 10% off case prices, but I havent found a full case to buy yet..
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Georgia arms ammo is quality stuff.  I have used other rounds they have made and am very well pleased.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I get my Blackhills from Cabelas.  Look into the bluebox remanufactured, try out somme of their 68 and 69 grain ammo.  You could also try their 75 and 77 grain ammo also, they may or may not shoot well in a 1/9 twist, but if you have a 1/7 then you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yup, I found a single box for sale up in Peoria.  It is the 68 gr BTHP match ammo, and it is great stuff, but availability is my issue.  I hate to have to pay premium price AND have to pay shipping...  Supposedly Gander Mountain does 10% off case prices, but I havent found a full case to buy yet..

A lot of times, they will give you case prices if you buy a case quantity, not a literal case.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it would be cheaper to just get that Dillon running.  Roll your own for accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny you should mention that, I just got my stuff from Dillon today.  Tomorrow night I intend to assemble everything and see how things go.  I think I still would like a case or so of good stuff to stash back in case I want to shoot a match on short notice and don't have anything loaded.  It seems the concensus is the black hills is very good, anf the Georga arms is too, only a bit cheaper.  I think I am going to try a case of the Georga arms stuff...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Since I havent gotten the Dillon up and running yet, I find myself in the market for some match ammo.  I have been shooting Samson 70 grain FMJBT and really like it, but my stash is dwindling.  At $3 / 20 it was an absolute steal, and it was accurate enough to produce a 439-2x last weekend.  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=10&t=379773 I wish I could find some more of it.  

I bought a single box [all they had] of BH 68 gr match up at the Gander Mountain in Peoria, and determined that it shoots pretty close to the same POI as the samson, but it is $18.xx for a 50 round box, and I have to drive 90 miles one way to buy more of it.  The only place I have seen that has this in quantity is the Gander Mountain in Terre Haute, but again, that's over 200 miles round trip, and still almost $19 a box.

I found a place www.georgia-arms.com that offers G223M 68gr BT Hollow Pt. Match $250.00 per thousand [$12.50 per 50] and that seems like a pretty good deal but I have never seen/shot any of it.  The only results I turned up on a search revealed their 55gr load is pretty well liked but I didn't find any mention of heavier loads.

So, in the meantime while I prepare to reload, is there a better deal on accuracy loads than the Georgia arms ammo?  Does anyone have any experience with it?  Anybody have any other suggestions?  Any place to get the BH 68 grainers for a better deal than full retail?  The best I can do locally is Fed 77gr SMK at $26 a box for 20.  I don't think I can afford to be that accurate.  I just want an economical round that I can buy a case or so to tide me over until I get my own production up and running..

www.fulton-armory.com/reman.htm has .223 Remington
68 Gr. "Heavy" Match Hollow Point
Velocity 2850 FPS
for $350/1000 -free shipping (17.50/50)

FB
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
My $.02-
Black Hills blue box reman'd 75gr bthp's for XTC if you are a one round XTC guy.

$18-19 a box of 50 isn't bad for good ammo (I'd say match quality, but I just know it shoots as good as I can).  Plus you get LC cases to feed the Dillon.

I reload 75gr Hornady's over 23.5Varget for my reloads (Win or LC brass) and the BH shoots to the same call as mine.

MidwayUSA sells it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top