Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 6:33:59 PM EDT
I am going to build a AR in 6 PPC and need a bolt head.
Where can I buy one?
Thanks!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:20:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Yote. Ever thought about the BR?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I could be mistaken but I believe the case head is the same as a 7.62x39, several people make them to include DPMS, Colt, Model 1 sales, etc.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Simon
Tell me more?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The 6PPC case head is the same as the 7.62 x 39, and the rounds will feed thru the mags. I have had a working 6PPC for a couple of years now, 8 twist Lilja 3 groove. Had to enlarge the feed ramp cuts, not much else. Opted for this over the 6BR because of the available bolt. Get your chamber reamer ground with minimum leade so you can seat mag length rounds into the riflings.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Have been thinking of building a 6PPC in AR for wolf hunting and wondered if you could recommend anyone for the build. What barrel length do you have and what velocity and accurracy are you getting from your loads. For fur salvage reasons I would like to use a FMJ at around 3000fps.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, the 7.62x39 bolt is the one to use.  Mine was from DPMS.  Don't go skimpy on the bolts.  7.62x39 has been used to make 6mm PPC cases, but it requires thinning of the neck after forming, so I have been told.

I have a 6mm PPC that was put together by Tony at Tromix- 24" Bull barrel, 1:8 twist.  I'm still working out the loads.  The brass that was given to me seems tight when loaded (some of my loads).  I have it "working"- it will cycle, but sometimes the round jams (won't close) and I have a hard time "opening" the bolt/carrier.  Narrowed it down to brass problems (since some rounds load and fire fine).  Need to get some other brass to load... (I'm using slightly heavier bullets 90gr and 100grn.)

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=43969&w=searchPop[/url]
Link to my 6mm PPC build...

rimfire50,

What do you use for brass?  7.62x39 or 22 PPC?  I'm thinking of using 22 PPC as it's easier then trying to thin the neck.  I've noticed that Norma 6mm PPC brass is not being advertised that much any more (unless I am looking in the wrong places).
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:48:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Kal, I am using Win 7.62 x39 brass because it is thicker, and leaves me enough neck material that I can turn almost all cases 100% and have a chamber neck fit clearance of .002. If you are not neck turning, that could be the reason for some of you chambering/extraction problems. If you chamber was done with a 6PPC USA reamer, it is probably a .270 neck. You need to check both the dimension of your chamber and of your loaded rounds. The loaded neck dim should be at least .002 smaller than the chamber. Any less than that and you can cause hard bullet pull and high pressure; very much more and you give up some benefit of neck turning. On your rounds that are hard to pull, check for flat primers and other signs of overpressure. If you aren't neck turning, I'm betting that you have have neck OD's on the heavy side, and from my experience, you will have trouble finding brass which will give a usable neck without turning.  EDITED TO ADD: Hard/failure to/ extract in my 6PPC was partially due to the powders/charges needed to fling the heavier bullets. With the design of the gas system to operate on/with .223 pressure curve, the bolt can unlock and attempt to eject while there is still too much pressure in the barrel with heavier loads. An adjustable gas block cured my problems, plus, you can cut off all the gas and keep that brass from flying!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah...
Actually, the some rounds won't even chamber and get jammed in there where operating the charging handle requires a mallet and board to open it up.  But when they chamber, it fires and ejects fine.  I sent some rounds to Tony for a function check, so the gas system will work with the heavy bullets.

I'll check all those things.  Guess this beast requires a little more TLC then most rounds. I'll go pick up some more reloading equipment (neck trimming/turning stuff). Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Any idea what 6PPC reamer was used to allow rounds seated out the lands to feed through the mag? How many rounds can be held in the mag and did it require any alteration? What loads have worked the best in the 24" barrel? Did you decide on the 8 twist barell to accomadate the 100 grain and above bullets?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top