Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 10:15:08 AM EDT
I am looking for a metal selector switch to replace the plastic unit on my Bushmaster.  I've only been able to find a DPMS model at Brownells?  Is this the only option i have?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#1]
selector switch? the safety switch?

stop reading into the hype cause all of my selectors are metal.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am looking for a metal selector switch to replace the plastic unit on my Bushmaster.  I've only been able to find a DPMS model at Brownells?  Is this the only option i have?

Thanks in advance.

I'm kinda wondering as well........which switch are you referring to?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
the only thing that followers tend to change out is the trigger guard which is the only thing on the lower other than the pistol grip that is plastic.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#4]
If your safety/selector is plastic Bushy didnt build it,I have never seen a plastic one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes it’s a Bushmaster, it's about 1 year old and I believe it has a plastic selector switch.  I have been shooting M16 /  M4's at work for 16+ years and always been taught it was a selector switch that you use to select safe, semi or auto/burst.  Forgive me I did not know M16's / M4's had two different switches?  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The plastic parts I advise changing out when encountered...

Plastic Mag Release Button

Plastic Trigger Guard

Plastic Delta Ring

Have never seen a plastic Safety Selector.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#7]
It (selector switch) has a TOTALLY different feel than the one i use at work.  Today was my second time shooting it in the time i have had it.  I'll take a closer insepction tonight.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Any pics maybe?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a first. Never heard of a plastic safety.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
i own five bushmaster rifles and have used eight bushmaster lpk's and i have never seen any plastic parts that usually are not other than the trigger guard.

try putting a lighter to it and seeing if it starts to melt or catch fire
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
wouldn't the thing bend or flex when you flip it from safe to fire?
Surprised it has lasted a year without it cracking
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i own five bushmaster rifles and have used eight bushmaster lpk's and i have never seen any plastic parts that usually are not other than the trigger guard.

try putting a lighter to it and seeing if it starts to melt or catch fire

Unload first!  That would be a new one for Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes it’s a Bushmaster, it's about 1 year old and I believe it has a plastic selector switch.  I have been shooting M16 /  M4's at work for 16+ years and always been taught it was a selector switch that you use to select safe, semi or auto/burst.  Forgive me I did not know M16's / M4's had two different switches?  

Selector switch = Full auto weapon (Safe, Fire, Auto/Burst)...

Safety switch = Semi auto weapon (Safe, Fire)...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Plastic Mag Release Button, Plastic Trigger Guard and Plastic Delta Ring are what Ive encountered, never a selector or safety...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Plastic Mag Release Button, Plastic Trigger Guard and Plastic Delta Ring are what Ive encountered, never a selector or safety...

Oh well, My Bushy came with NONE of that plastic.  All mil-spec metal.

Guess I won the lottery or something.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Selector switch = Full auto weapon (Safe, Fire, Auto/Burst)...

Safety switch = Semi auto weapon (Safe, Fire)...

Yup, I'm WRONG! (not the first time) I actually had to scrape it, it's metal.  Why does it feel so spongy when i go from safe to semi during up drills?

However, i have never heard it called a safety switch.  I can only hear "move your selector switch from safe to semi and watch your lane"  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#17]
probably cause its held in place by a little detent and tiny spring pressure
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#18]
How can i get that same firm metallic 'click' i feel on my work gun when i go from safe to semi, with my Bushy?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

So what makes M4's click when they go from safe to semi?  Mine just kinda rolls, if you know what i mean, no click.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what makes M4's click when they go from safe to semi?  Mine just kinda rolls, if you know what i mean, no click.

Might be a weak detent spring or mis-shaped detent point or even possibly the safety its self... Ive seen or should I say felt that spongy feeling from carbines that have replacement Hogue rubberized grips too... The grip was a bit to fat and made contact with the safety and caused that spongy feel...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I also had the problem with a Hogue grip. Do you have one? Changed to a different Hogue and the nice click was back. I've had several Hogues and only one of them caused this. A little too much material under the switch causes it. You can also trim it down a bit. If you dont have a Hogue check the spring and detent.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#22]
the hole in the grip can be too deep causing weak spring preassure.
or
the spring can be short
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The plastic parts I advise changing out when encountered...

Plastic Mag Release Button

Plastic Trigger Guard

Plastic Delta Ring

Have never seen a plastic Safety Selector.

I know about the plastic trigger guards but who is using plastic mag release buttons and delta rings?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I would bet my liver it is NOT a Plastic safety selector.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#25]
check the tip of the detent and the dimple the detent sits in, after lots of use like and other two pieces of metal being forced against each other they wear.

also check what the others have pointed out.

and i too would like to know who uses plastic mag releases and so on, have seen ads for metal mag buttons with the pitch line of replacing plastic ones but have never seen such.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]
My experiences with plastic mag release buttons,  trigger guards and delta rings were on early OLY A1 rifles... Just trigger guards on Bushmasters though...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I also had the problem with a Hogue grip. Do you have one? Changed to a different Hogue and the nice click was back. I've had several Hogues and only one of them caused this. A little too much material under the switch causes it. You can also trim it down a bit. If you dont have a Hogue check the spring and detent.

Yes, i do have the Houge grips.  Hmmm, what different Houge did you change to?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#28]
....the only things i can think of is either to thick or raised under the switch lever where it travels over the side of the grip of the hole in which the spring sits
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I would bet my liver it is NOT a Plastic safety selector.

your over a hour late
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yes, i do have the Houge grips.  Hmmm, what different Houge did you change to?

That is your problem... Remove the safety, remove a few thousads from the underside of the lever, install the safety, problem solved...

A dremel, grinder or file will do the job... Be careful not to remove to much though...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Could i just purchase another selector lever? Maybe an excuse to add an extended selector lever.  Would this solve it or is the cause the Houge Grips themselves?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Not sure if replacing the safety will fix it, the fat grip is whats causing the trouble... On the stubborn ones, Ive always just shaved a bit off the back of the lever where it rubs the grip to gain more clearance... If you take your time doing it, you wont be able to tell it was done after you replace it...

ETA: Forgot to mention, a little cold blue on the bare metal for touch up...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Oh, BTW, Nice carbine!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Oh, BTW, Nice carbine SBR!

Fixed it for ya! Or is that an extended A2?

Just looking at the picture, you can see where the Hogue is overlapping the receiver. I had two Hogues that were like that and wouldn't let the lever move past them. Replaced them with ERGO's, problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#36]
My light bulb just lit up again...

Another thing to try that might just work... Try loosening the grips screw/allen bolt and pull the grip away from the safety while tightening the grip screw/allen bolt...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for ya! Or is thats an extended A2 type FH?

Just looking at the picture, you can see where the Hogue is overlapping the receiver. I had two Hogues that were like that and wouldn't let the lever move past them. Replaced them with ERGO's, problem solved.

Helped ya back...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for ya! Or is thats an extended A2 type FH?

Helped ya back...

Thanks! Need all the help I can get!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YUP! You are right, tomorrow i'll grind a little off the back of the selector switch.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YUP! You are right, tomorrow i'll grind a little off the back of the selector switch.  Thanks guys.

whoa, i'd grind/trim the grip instead. not as pretty but lots easier
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#41]
+1 dont grind the selector.  just hit the grip with a file.  i had to do it.  works fine now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I have messed with lots of selectors for feel reasons.  Either your selector detent is rounded and not pointy or you selector dentent holes in the selector are in a slightly off location or are not drilled deep.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#43]
that's an extended A2?  doens't take much, does it then?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I agree with its not as pretty, but easier? Come on... How hard is it to drag a file over the back side of the safety a few times?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with its not as pretty, but easier? Come on... How hard is it to drag a file over the back side of the safety a few times?

Remove 1 screw and the grip comes right off. the only thing you have to worry about is the detent spring.
With the selector you have to open the gun unless your going to file it while it's still on the gun
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
unless your going to file it while it's still on the gun

That's pretty funny...

One other question for you, have you ever removed the safety from a lower before?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I've removed the safety from a lower several times and it's no harder than removing the grip.  Once the grip is off, let the detent fall out of the lower and pull the Goddamn safety out.  There's no more to it than that.  The "detent" is all that holds it in.  "Detent" being the root word of "Detention" and we all know what "Detention" or "to Detain" means...

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
unless your going to file it while it's still on the gun

That's pretty funny...

One other question for you, have you ever removed the safety from a lower before?

it's been a long time since I put one together so It must be a lot easier. For some reason I'm thinking the butt stock has to come off.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#49]
you are thinking of  the spring and detent for the rear take down pin.  that one is a little PITA and I've pinched a few springs...

Damn you are a post-aholic!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top