Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 12:29:32 PM EDT
What's a good source for Colt 9mm magazines at fair prices, and what is a fair price these days anyways?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#1]
G&R TACTICAL for Colt magazines for $55.

Natchez Shooters Supplies for ProMags for the very nice price of $10.99 (they sell out quick, though - use the e-mail notice feature).

The ProMags are really very good.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Do ProMags feed reliably and lock the bolt back with Hahn blocks? I think I've read that they could be hit or miss, and Colt magazines are the only ones that function 100%.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My ProMags work flawlessly with my RRA block (and hold the bolt back).  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Some Promags will work perfectly fine with Hahn blocks......the newest Promags I seen were a lot different than the first ones that came out.......I am sure that Bushmaster 'inspired' them to get thier shit together before selling them with their new plastic 9mm rifle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW.........Colt mags will always be superior to plastic Promags, even if they feed right they are still cheap plastic with a limited lifespan.

I have decade old Colt mags that have seen the hard life and are still going strong.....just refinish when they get ugly......replace springs when they get weak.  In the long run they are a better bargain than any Promag.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Dehammer

On the other hand, at Natchez's price you can buy 5 ProMags for the cost of one Colt.
Unfortunately some dealers think Colts are worth even more than the reasonable $55 G and R Tactical charges.  

Some people rushed to embrace the H&K "high reliability" steel M16 magazines at 5x or 6x (depending on the vendor) cost of GI aluminum magazines (or UK SA80 or Taiwanese Type 65 steel magazines) on the assumption that "cost more = works better" and found it wasn't always true.

On the other hand, we see people buy $200+ Beta C-Mags that aren't reliable and break (shatter) when dropped).

I think the ProMags make an excellent alternative to modified Uzi magazines for those that want the bolt-hold-open feature on their range magazines.

I have three Colts (from G&R) and 8 ProMags.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
My personal perspective on just about everything I buy is quality over quantity.  The initial cost of a magazine is pretty much irrelevant to me.  My concern is reliability and durability first and foremost.  Money comes and goes......mostly goes ......but at least I am left with some good hardware .

I agree with you about the HK mags......they are well built.....but so are my GI mags.  I have yet to test any and probably won't since I am not having an issue with my current mags.  In fact I have seen the new HK AR-15 (in detail) and I don't recommend it to anyone.  I have yet to figure out how HK has so many people mystified into paying so much for thier shit.  I could really go into a tangent rant on this...............

Beta mags are fragile and reportedly less than reliable......I do not own one......they got the 'bling' for the folks that need that.

Colt mags are superior to Promags in durabilty, consistancy, and reliability......so the 'paying more getting less' arguement is moot in this case.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to clarify, the ProMag 9mm AR15 mags are a suitable replacement for modified Uzi mags in a RRA mag block? Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just to clarify, the ProMag 9mm AR15 mags are a suitable replacement for modified Uzi mags in a RRA mag block?

Thanks for the info.

Everyone's experiences seem to vary widely.  I tend to have good luck with mags, but I bought 8 of the promags and ended up sending them all back because they didn't work for crap.

The best way to figure out if they will work for you is to buy one or two and see for yourself.  They aren't limited production or difficult to come by, so you can always buy more if they do end up working for you.  If they don't work for you, you won't take as big a hit on 1 or 2 as you might if you had bought 8, 10 or more.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Botach Tactical has Colt 32 rounders for 50 iirc. I've got all mine through them.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top