Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 10/23/2003 12:03:54 PM EST
Need some input on where and exactly what to buy to put together some uppers. I know I need go and nogo guages, not really sure how they work so some help would be appriciated. Also I know I need an action block to hold the receiver correct? What about the vice jaws?? Are they needed. I have an armorers wrench, punches, brass hammer and such but don't know what else is necessary. Gimme some help please.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:17:47 PM EST
You'll probably get several opinions. Here's mine. Good vise. Good solid workbench. Action block--Peace River. Brownells part # 702-003-015. $43.75. Armorers wrench--Smith Enterprises. Brownells part # 851-115-001. $36.70. This is the one that grips each tooth on the barrel nut about 2/3 of the way around, not the one that only has three teeth. I hate those. This, and the action block are musts. I do not like the DPMS wrench. Roll pin punches are a nice to have, but not vital. You don't need vise jaws (my opinion). You'll need something to visually align the barrel nut teeth with the upper and delta ring for insertion of the gas tube, but you can use anything that's 4" long or more that's straight and small enough to go into the upper's gas tube hole. A piece of old gas tube is perfect, or a long allen wrench, or... Check my other thread on the brand of headspace guages--I'm asking for opinions on that myself. They should come with instructions, and you can also read the other threads on here and ask questions later if needed. Ask for a catalog when you call Brownells (800-741-0015). Warning--this will definitely lead to more tool purchases. If you're breaking down older uppers, their gas tube wrench is really great to have, even if it's $24.95. If you're only building new uppers, it isn't necessary. Good luck.
Top Top