Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 3:31:51 PM EDT
Lots of debate on this issue and no absolute answer, just opinions.

Does the ban expire at midnite Sunday night/Monday morning, or midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning? YES, IT COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

No cop I know (I am one) has ever expressed support for the ban, or the renewal of it. Unfortunately, I don't know every cop. Some of us might be a little ignorant on the issue and could support renewing it (surprising how little many of the new ones know about firearms, many have never fired any type firearm until they get in the academy).

What if you go with the Monday morning expiratation and you are in error? Then say you have the mis-fortune to run into one of our un-informed blue suits. He could jack you up and be correct that you have an illegal firearm.

What if you are right, but he has listened to all the media and believes it expires Monday night? He busts your ass, seizes your AR and plants your butt in jail. Now you have to pay the bondsman to get out (you'll never see that money again) and hire an attorney (he ain't gonna give you a refund). You also probably lost some time at work, so you're out that cash (never met a boss who would pay you for missed time, even if it wasn't your fault.) Yaah, at least your out of jail, but you're still AR-less. You probably will get it back, unless the judge is one of those liberal left wingers.

I say if you think it expires Monday morning, convert it, just leave it at home till Tuesday. I have not yet heard ANY media report that has acknowledged the Monday morning expiration. I don't know for sure and neither do many (if any) of my brother officers. Some of those Chiefs out there DO support the re-authorization of the ban and may instruct officers to be looking for "illegal ARs."

My position on Monday is gonna be "don't look to closely at any ARs I see." I'm guessing that will be the common position, but there is always gonna be that exception to the rule.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You obviously havent read all the 957 other post which did give the facts?

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything I have read says that it expires 10 years after it was signed into law, which was Sep 13th 1994......so it expires Sept 13th......12:00:01 am  Washington DC time.....so.....11:00:01 pm Sunday CST.....for me!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
hah, www.awbansunset.com
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I was trying to point out it isn't me you have to worry about, it's about all the other officers who haven't read the 957 posts. Even with all those posts, I still haven't seen anything conclusive. Just a lot of interpretation.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Our side says Sunday night. Their side says Monday night. I don't KNOW. I THINK Sunday night.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
It's Monday night, because I have to work Monday and can't shoot until Tuesday.

AWBanSunset.com
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
And, Don't argue with me, Argue with the guy who puts the cuffs on you. Chances of this happening are slim, but so are lightning strikes. I've been waiting and hoping for this day for 10 years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And, Don't argue with me, Argue with the guy who puts the cuffs on you. Chances of this happening are slim, but so are lightning strikes. I've been waiting and hoping for this day for 10 years.

If you think ANY federal officer is going to arrest ANYONE for a law which expires in the same 24 hour period....  that officer would become the laughing stock of his dept. and the charges would be dropped.  There are plenty of other cases (although not in gun crime) to back this up.

Pass me some of that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Did I ever say FEDERAL? It has been my experience that some cops are pricks. They come in all sizes, colors (blue, brown, tan, green) and origins (federal, state, county, local, university, etc.) Yeah, I can assure you, there are SOME out there that wouldn't hesitate to bust your ass, and they'd sleep soundly that night. As far as getting laughed out of the department, their fellow officers don't appreciate em anyway. Not all prosecutors are in favor of this thing going away either, nor are all the judges. You're probably right, the charges would be dropped, bur you've still been seriously inconvenienced, and have about zero chance of re-couping you losses, cause they'll all have acted in good faith, least that will be their claim.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Local cops can't enforce the ban... Hell when I went through the Academy (in Texas) they never said a single word about assault weapons. You should know this if you are a police officer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
DO NOT COUNT YOUR CHICKENS BEFORE THEY HATCH.

Call, Email, Fax your reps now. Swamp them with pressure. Secure the future.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Did I ever say FEDERAL? It has been my experience that some cops are pricks. They come in all sizes, colors (blue, brown, tan, green) and origins (federal, state, county, local, university, etc.) Yeah, I can assure you, there are SOME out there that wouldn't hesitate to bust your ass, and they'd sleep soundly that night. As far as getting laughed out of the department, their fellow officers don't appreciate em anyway. Not all prosecutors are in favor of this thing going away either, nor are all the judges. You're probably right, the charges would be dropped, bur you've still been seriously inconvenienced, and have about zero chance of re-couping you losses, cause they'll all have acted in good faith, least that will be their claim.

You cant be arrested for a federal statute by a STATE LEO.  Thats why so many states have machinegun laws... so they can also enforce that.

All a state/municipal LEO could do is detain you and refer you to a federal authority, such as the BATFE.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
You are a police officer???
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Lots of debate on this issue and no absolute answer, just opinions.

Does the ban expire at midnite Sunday night/Monday morning, or midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning? YES, IT COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

No cop I know (I am one) has ever expressed support for the ban, or the renewal of it. Unfortunately, I don't know every cop. Some of us might be a little ignorant on the issue and could support renewing it (surprising how little many of the new ones know about firearms, many have never fired any type firearm until they get in the academy).

What if you go with the Monday morning expiratation and you are in error? Then say you have the mis-fortune to run into one of our un-informed blue suits. He could jack you up and be correct that you have an illegal firearm.

What if you are right, but he has listened to all the media and believes it expires Monday night? He busts your ass, seizes your AR and plants your butt in jail. Now you have to pay the bondsman to get out (you'll never see that money again) and hire an attorney (he ain't gonna give you a refund). You also probably lost some time at work, so you're out that cash (never met a boss who would pay you for missed time, even if it wasn't your fault.) Yaah, at least your out of jail, but you're still AR-less. You probably will get it back, unless the judge is one of those liberal left wingers.

I say if you think it expires Monday morning, convert it, just leave it at home till Tuesday. I have not yet heard ANY media report that has acknowledged the Monday morning expiration. I don't know for sure and neither do many (if any) of my brother officers. Some of those Chiefs out there DO support the re-authorization of the ban and may instruct officers to be looking for "illegal ARs."

My position on Monday is gonna be "don't look to closely at any ARs I see." I'm guessing that will be the common position, but there is always gonna be that exception to the rule.

Stop thinking so much, it's not going to happen.  There's not going to be one cop in the USA looking for illegal ARs's on either day.............

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Where the hell in Texas do you work that you go around looking for illegal AR's anyway? Show me in the Texas Penal Code or the CCP where it gives you the authority to enforce this law...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Bunch of hostile shits.

I SAID I'M GLAD IT'S ENDING. I WANT IT TO GO AWAY. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO BUY WHAT I WANT, NOT WHAT SOME ASSHOLE DEMOCRAT WANTS ME TO BUY. I KNOW ALL ABOUT LOCALS CAN'T ENFORCE FEDERAL LAWS. TRUST ME, IF WE WANT YOU WE'LL GET YOU.

I DON'T ENFORCE FEDERAL LAW. I LEAVE THAT TO THE FEDS. COURSE IF WE NON-FEDERALS WANT SOMEONE BAD ENOUGH, IT USUALLY ISN'T TOO HARD TO FIND A LEGITIMATE STATE VIOLATION THAT WE DO ENFORCE.

I SAID I WON'T BE LOOKING FOR ILLEGAL ARS. AS FAR AS I[M CONCERNED THE ONLY ILLEGAL AR SHOULD BE ONE THAT HAS BEEN STRIPPED OF A BUNCH OF COSMETIC ITEMS.

TRUST THE ATF? NOT AS FAR AS I CAN THROW THEIR HEADQUARTERS BUILDING. I've known a few. No complaints about most of em. WouldN'T have pissed on any of the Denver office back in 75, if their hair was on fire.  THEIR ACTIONS RESULTED IN A BLOWN SURVEILLANCE THAT CAUSED SIX STOLEN COLT .357s TO VANISH. UNFORTUNATELY ONE OF THOSE COLTS WAS USED ABOUT THREE WEEKS LATER TO MURDER A COLORADO STATE TROOPER. I hope that these guys were the exception to the rule, but they took great delight in jacking up every body they could, for any reason they could. The feds have never entrap anyone over a sawed of shotgun. They've never had that case dismissed. They didn't ruin anyones reputation or take away their freedom for months while it all settled out. They've never been to, or heard of Ruby Ridge.

If you think they won't bust your ass for an illegal AR, I challenge you to put that puppy together today and arrange a civilized encounter with one of em. CALL ME FROM THE HOOSGOW.

I can't show you anywhere in the Penal Code or CCP where I can enforce that piece of shit ban, cause we don't want it down here. We didn't pass a comparable state ban. We like our guns. We don't like politicians telling us we can't have them, or concealed handguns either for that matter. Ask that idiot ex-govenor Ann Richards. She said no to the concealed handgun stuff cause she knew what was better for us than we did. She was mistaken. We voted her ass out of office next election.

ALL I TRIED TO SAY IS THAT THERE IS A LOT OF DISAGREEMENT OVER WHEN THE BAN EXPIRES. SO FAR ALL I'VE SEEN ARE OPINIONS, MOSTLY FROM PEOPLE WHO WANT IT TO BE OVER BUT HAVE NO LEGAL EXPERTISE.

SHOW ME ONE PIECE OF MATERIAL FROM THE US ATTORNEYS OFFICE OR THE ATF THAT SAYS THE BAN EXPIRES ON SUNDAY NIGHT. I HAVEN'T READ ALL 957 OF THESE THREADS. BUT THOSE THAT I HAVE READ HAVE A LOT OF UNINFORMED OPINIONS WITH NOTHING TO SUPPORT THEM. I CAN SAY THAT THE MOON IS GREEN, AND I MIGHT EVEN BELIEVE IT, BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT SO.

ALL I ASKED FOR WAS SOME DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE THAT HAS SOME LEGAL STANDING INSTEAD OF A BUNCH OF BUFOONS OPINIONS ON THE MATTER.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT, I'M TEMPTED TO SAY STICK IT. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, NOT EVERYONE HAS KNOWN ABOUT THIS WEBSITE FOR YEARS. IF YOU'LL LOOK, I'M ALL THE WAY UP TO ABOUT 20 POSTS. WOW, I MANAGED TO JOIN THIS THING THIS MONTH. I WAS HOPING TO GET A LITTLE SOLID INFORMATION. WHAT I GOT WAS A LOAD OF SHIT FROM A FEW HOLIER THAN THOU ASSHOLES.

NOW I'VE DECIDED. FOR THOSE ASSHOLES WHO WON'T LET A NEWBIE TRY TO GET SOME SOLID INFORMATION, THAT IS SUPPORTED BY SOMETHING OTHER THAN OPINION, I SAY SHOVE IT.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Since I'm sure my previous post will probably get me thrown off this forum, I'll say so long. If I don't I'll hang around. It's been a fun few days.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
And as far as www.awbansunset.com goes. I ran across a link about it today. First I knew of it. Checked it out.

What I found was another bunch of guys like me who want it to go away and a cute little clock. Still not a single authorative piece of information that definitely says one way or the other. Yeah, I know the thing expires 10 years after it went into effect and that day is the 13th. What I don't know is does it expire at midnight on the start of that day or on midnight on the end of that day.

Saw some Sig LEO magazines this evening that were stamped 9/14/94. Looks like Sig may be of the opinion that the first day was the 14th. If they thought it was the 13th, why did they stamp them 9/14/94 instead of 9/13/94.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#19]
The date of enactment was 9/13.    The law is repealed 10 years from the date of enactment.

The date of enforcement was 9/14.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you Zak. That was painless.

Actually, though I have an honest question about that. If it was signed on the 13th, and was a law on the 13th, why wasn't it enforcable until the 14th. As far as I know, a law signed into effect is enforceable on the day it is signed, unless there is a provision that sets a later date of enforcement. Did this ban have a delayed date of enforcement? If not, why wasn't it enforcable on the 13th?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Jeez Copper54.... good thing you are out there protecting us.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Thank you Zak. That was painless.

Actually, though I have an honest question about that. If it was signed on the 13th, and was a law on the 13th, why wasn't it enforcable until the 14th. As far as I know, a law signed into effect is enforceable on the day it is signed, unless there is a provision that sets a later date of enforcement. Did this ban have a delayed date of enforcement? If not, why wasn't it enforcable on the 13th?

dude we dont mean to give you such a hard time but you are asking way to many questions. We have beat this subject to death over the past few months and we are quite frankly sick of it.  The ban expires on Midnight Monday morning Sept 13 and thats that.  END OF RANT

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Who are you going to call?  Nobody is there, they're out of session.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Not you FALARAK. For you I'll look the other way. It's obvious you can protect yourself without any help.

The one source that I would trust without question is the NRA. Anyone checked their website (http://www.clintongunban.com/) for the expiration time. I have. They don't say.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

who the heck Faxes anymore???
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Actually, I only asked one question. "Does the ban expire at midnite Sunday night/Monday morning, or midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning?" Since I joined up very recently, I haven't been in on the beating to death of the subject.

The ban is about to expire (Yeah) and I just recently found this site. Here it says Monday morning. Unless it says Tuesday morning. CNN says it shouldn't expire (at least I'm betting they are. Only time I've watched em since September 11, 2001 was on President Bush's night at the Republican National Convention. I wanted to see how biased they could present him. Checked em a few times during FoxNew commercials.) FoxNews on the other hand says Tuesday morning. What would they know, they're the media too.

Please forgive me one and all, for not having the common courtesy to sort thru 957 other posts about the matter that have been posted over the past few months (you know, when I hadn't even found this site). I'm guessing that would take a few months to do.

What I did do was look at the posts that have come up in the last two weeks (that's the default period for posts with new information) and I saw a lot of disagreement.

Course then look at the very first reply to my simple, honest question. That was guaranteed to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. FALA-whats-his-name has certainly made a friend for life. It's obvious that he knows it all and is the local bully. I don't like bullies.

If your tired of the topic and feel it has been beat to death, why did you open this one an dump a load of shit my way? I wasn't looking for a fight, but that is what I got.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#27]
And looking back over this post and another recent one, here is another area of disagreement on the expiration question.

......so it expires Sept 13th......12:00:01 am Washington DC time.....so.....11:00:01 pm Sunday CST.....for me!!

Except on the other post it argued that it expires at midnight DC time for everybody, regardless of the time zone. I'm guessing midnight DC time, regardless of time zone, cause I'll bet it went into effect all over the country when Clinton signed it, not an hour later in the central time zone, 2 hours later in mountain time zone and three hours later in pacific time zone.

No, not being overly critical. Just being an asshole now. But there still isn't agreement between everyone who has beat this thing to death for months.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey, here's a thought. Since I posted this thing about 7:31 pm today (actually it was 6:31 in my time zone), how about we all time travel ahead for about 12 hours and we can all say that it was never posted.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
And looking back over this post and another recent one, here is another area of disagreement on the expiration question.

......so it expires Sept 13th......12:00:01 am Washington DC time.....so.....11:00:01 pm Sunday CST.....for me!!

Except on the other post it argued that it expires at midnight DC time for everybody, regardless of the time zone. I'm guessing midnight DC time, regardless of time zone, cause I'll bet it went into effect all over the country when Clinton signed it, not an hour later in the central time zone, 2 hours later in mountain time zone and three hours later in pacific time zone.

No, not being overly critical. Just being an asshole now. But there still isn't agreement between everyone who has beat this thing to death for months.

Then just wait till the 14th if your so concerned with it
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#30]
You're a cop? Sorry, but you sound like a high school kid. I'll do what the fuck I want on the 13th, thank you very much.
Oh, thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Actually, I only asked one question. "Does the ban expire at midnite Sunday night/Monday morning, or midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning?" Since I joined up very recently, I haven't been in on the beating to death of the subject.

Whatever you do, just don't go posting a nipple now or anything!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Wait, youre from Texas - According to civil code Sec 12, Art. 3 Habius Corpus Expost Facto CuldeSac it reads:

"....with regards to subsection 12 of Sec. 1248 Article 3, of the State Consititution, with regard to Federal Law sunset provisions. All hereby decree that a period of 12 days, or a time period not extending 288 hours, no more than 289 hours shall incure a mandatory waiting period.  Thereby, entrusting the Federal requirements be subjugated to recall or recount shall not be overturned."

According to what I understand, your sunset for the federal law does not take effect until 12 days after, or 288 hours, no more than 289 hours.....just to make sure there is no mistake in letting the AWB die.  So in effect Congress has an additional 12 days after Sept. 13th to recount.....whatever the feds end up saying, Texans will HAVE to abide.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks HK. That put it all in perfect perspective.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Wait, youre from Texas - According to civil code Sec 12, Art. 3 Habius Corpus Expost Facto CuldeSac it reads:

"....with regards to subsection 12 of Sec. 1248 Article 3, of the State Consititution, with regard to Federal Law sunset provisions. All hereby decree that a period of 12 days, or a time period not extending 288 hours, no more than 289 hours shall incure a mandatory waiting period.  Thereby, entrusting the Federal requirements be subjugated to recall or recount shall not be overturned."

According to what I understand, your sunset for the federal law does not take effect until 12 days after, or 288 hours, no more than 289 hours.....just to make sure there is no mistake in letting the AWB die.  So in effect Congress has an additional 12 days after Sept. 13th to recount.....whatever the feds end up saying, Texans will HAVE to abide.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

That crazy? How can a state enforce a federal law if that law doesn't exist anymore?

I hope WA doesn't have a provision like that.

And for the record I was wondering the same thing Copper54 was about the official date/time of the sunset. Any time I ever saw someone ask that question or something similar there was almost an immediate reply with a link to awbansunset.com as if it were the word of God himself. It is a legitimate question, though hopefully very insignificant.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Any time I ever saw someone ask that question or something similar there was almost an immediate reply with a link to awbansunset.com as if it were the word of God himself. It is a legitimate question, though hopefully very insignificant.

Actually... everyone who has been here for any length of time knows that awbansunset.com *IS* the word of God himself.... it's even hosted by God.

So doubting awbansunset.com is doubting God.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Regards my ill concieved question, Capro hit it dead on.

Quoted:
though hopefully very insignificant.

The important thing is that by this time next week it will have all been a bad dream.

The ban, not the question. Remember, I proposed we all travel 12 hour forward and pretend this thread never existed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:48:30 AM EDT
[#39]
according to peter jennings: monday
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Regarding the supposition that no local cop could arrest you for violating a federal law, I would say B.S.  Otherwise, how could a city cop arrest you for a state law (speeding,murder, or whatever) They can and do with full authority to do so. The law is the law regardless whether it be city,state or federal. If you break it, and are caught, you can be arrested by ANY duly sworn officer thereof.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#41]
A local police officer can only arrest for what they have the authority to enforce. Their powers are spelled out in that states code of criminal procedure (or equivalent) A local officer has NO authority to effect arrest on anyone for the assault weapons ban unless directed to do so by an ATF agent then and there. Same thing applies to illegal immigrants, that’s why as a local cop, unless they have commited a crime (that the officer has authority over) can not detain him unless INS gives you the authority to do so. Period...... Explain to me BettysNephew, who is a duly sworn officer anyway? Are there not different catagories of LEO's or do you know.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Ban? What ban?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Ban? What ban?

Exactly....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Monday morning, 12:00 AM, the ban expires.

It went into effect on September 13, 1994 at 12AM in the morning.

If it expired the 14th at 12AM, then the ban would have lasted ten years and one day.

It undeniably expires in 3 hours, 12AM, Monday September 13.

If my parts were here already, I'd have them laid out and ready to go, but they should be here within a couple of days.

Happy shooting
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

It undeniably expires in 3 hours, 12AM, Monday September 13.

Happy shooting

Less than an hour.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#46]
notwithstanding the question on the ban expiration, I think alot of you are missing copper54s point that "if they want you, they will get you". There are plenty of laws out there and a smart cop will only have to make one of them stick.

That said, it expires on the 13th. That's the law.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#47]
In a few minutes I'll probably not be able to get access to this site or other gun related sites, so I'll say ...."Thank God it's Over !!!" " I thank everyone of you for standing up to the tyranny that "infringes on our right to bear Arms !" To the those who would  oppose us, and would deny us our 2nd Amendment right......... All I can say in two short little words are:  

"UP YOURS !!"    

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top