Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2003 10:45:33 AM EDT
I know you guys get a milloin of these, but here's another one
Colt pre-ban marked sp1, triangle shaped handguards with cooling holes on top.  Red dot scope marked colt mounted on carry handle, looks like a birdcage flash hider on a light contour 20" barrel.  The owner thinks he bought it around 87 or 88, must be in 98% or better condition. Thanks in advance for any help

Phil  
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
About 1000-1200.

Max
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply max, my wifes boss has fallen on hard times and has had probs paying her lately.  We've figured he owes her @$12-1400 and I'm considering taking his preban colt in trade.  I just have to convince my wife that it's a good idea.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
In terms of what it's worth right now vs what it might be worth in a year, it's kind of a gamble.  If the ban expires, and is not renewed (or replaced by something worse) the value is going to drop significantly.  If the ban is renewed, it's going to end up being worth a lot more.

Kind of a crap shoot[:D]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
But if anything, the SP1s should be worth more comparitively than other prebans if the AWB expires.  There won't ever be any more made...

Oh yeah.... I paid $1100 for mine last year in 98% or better condition and considered it a good deal.  1981 manufacture.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 4:47:14 AM EDT
[#5]
That's been my dilemma concerning a pre-ban ak or ar weapon.  I've recently passed on a deal on a preban ak 'cause I'm not much of a gambler and I'd hate to pay $1k for a gun that may be worth half that in a year.  I've also had a hard time convincing my wife that this is a good idea, she may be right.    
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, it's a gamble.  Might be worth twice that in two years too - though I hope not.  I would happily lose out on the 2 prebans I have to see the laws changed.

If your wife needs convincing, tell her an M-16 will DEFINITELY go up in value [:)]
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I would pay $1-1200 for that rifle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure what the scope is worth but the sp1 colts have been going for about $1200 on the EE. If it is somthing you want to keep I would go for it and not take the chance of her boss going belly up and not paying her. If it is something you are going to sell, make sure you sell it now. The value of the rifle will go down quite a bit if the AWB sunsets. You might consider telling him you will take the rifle and sell it, if you don't get the money she is owed he will owe you the difference. Tell him you won't sell it for less then $1000. you'll get $1000 for sure and it will be allot easier to get $200 out of him. Also you might get the full $1200, shit maybe a little more.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I talked to the owner again today and we mulled over some details.  This may seem like blasphemy, but this isn't a weapon I really want.  I'd rather have the $$.  There is, however a guy at work that thinks Sam Colt and Eugene Stoner are disciples of Christ and would be willing to pay PREMIUM price for this weapon.  Is it considered taking advantage of someone if they know the gun, know it's value and are still willing to pay $1400 cash without blinking?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#10]
The ban may end in a year, however you will not find colt making AR's without sear blocks ever again.  For that reason I think Its a good investment.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#11]
If he has really fallen on hard times, consider that something is better than nothing when he goes go bankruptcy court.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I along with others hope the AWB Sunsets, but I think the chance of that is nil with the "DC Sniper case",  politicians will vote for a stricter bill or renewal of the present bill. I'm holding on to my 4 Prebans and just hope nothing similar to Californias laws are passed which do not allow transfer of AR's. If I had the disposable income, I'd be buying while the prices are low. My 0.02
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top