Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2007 5:57:03 PM EDT
Read bad things about the Vulcan Arms AR15 but i got one on trade & don't see nothing wrong with it  Opererates great, very accurate, other parts fit, wats the down side to them
Link Posted: 5/19/2007 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
When they were Hexxe (Hesse) they lost a money order I sent them and I went through a six month ordeal to get their damn upper which was made post ban compliant by grinding off the bayonet lug and putting on a permanent brake.  It is easier to list what is right with them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2007 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Read bad things about the Vulcan Arms AR15 but i got one on trade & don't see nothing wrong with it  Opererates great, very accurate, other parts fit, wats the down side to them

you Must Have got a good one..
Link Posted: 5/19/2007 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Everything.

Link Posted: 5/19/2007 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The God of fire does not approve of the blasphemy in this  thread.

Ye have been warned, and shalt soon be smitten with a holy wrath...
Link Posted: 5/19/2007 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Everything.
Link Posted: 5/19/2007 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Sorry, but anyone who advertises like this AUTOMATICALLY makes them crap.
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a Vulcan V-15 (the plastic one) second hand, and there's not a thing wrong with it.  I even had the lower on my Beowulf upper and had no problems.  I do, however, seem to be in the minority.  

See Also:

The God of fire does not approve of the blasphemy in this thread.

Ye have been warned, and shalt soon be smitten with a holy wrath...

Link Posted: 5/20/2007 1:56:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out the brand comparison chart, should give you some idea on Vulcan

Chrome line barrels? No
Stainless barrels? No
Barrel source? Unknown
Hard Coat Anodized Recievers? No
Cast or Forged? Cast
M4 barrel ava? No
Lightweight barrels? No
Preban rifles? No
No warranty
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 3:20:42 AM EDT
[#9]
IIRC their 50 bmg rifles were down right dangerous to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 3:24:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.vulcanarmament.com/gfx/vulcan_logo.jpg

Sorry, but anyone who advertises like this AUTOMATICALLY makes them crap.

True.
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Just found this on their website

V15 Specs:

All Vulcan V15 rifles share a number of standard features. These features set the Vulcan Arms firearms apart from the others.

Lower receivers are made from certified 7075T6-511 forgings, hardcoat anodized with nickel acetate seal.

All flat top upper receivers are made from the same material as the lowers. These uppers feature a built in brass deflector and forward assist

Vulcan Arms mil-spec A2 flash hider.

All Vulcan Arms 5.56x45mm (.223) models accept any standard AR15 or M16 type magazines.

All V15-110 series rifles feature a mil-spec, forged A2 upper receiver with A2 sights, forward assist, and ejection port cover.

All V15 rifles use the standard .250" takedown pins and are compatible with any standard mil-pec parts.

Forged uppers and Lowers for the V15: Made from certified 7075T6.511 alloy forgings, hardcoat anodized IAW Mil Spec A8625, Type III, Class II, black per No. 37038, Table IX with nickel acetate seal.

All other aluminum parts that we make (ie. free float tubes, scope rails, etc.) are machined from bar stock 6061T6 aircraft aluminum, hardcoat anodized IAW Mil Spec A8625, Type III, Class II, black per No. 37038, Table IX with nickel acetate seal.

All Vulcan Arms rifles are covered by our one year repair policy.
Full Guns must be shipped to a Federal Firearms License (FFL) Dealer in your state. Visit our dealers section for more info. Email us at [email protected] or call 651.451.5956 with ITEM Number to order.

All V15 rifles come complete with a removable muzzle break/flash hider, sling, manual, hard case, cleaning kit, oiler, gun lock & Vulcan logo knife!
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Specific problems that I recall reading here reguarding Hesse, Vulcan, Blackthorne, (Or what ever new name they may be using to escape an old reputation):

-Out of spec parts ie: parts not fitting or replacment parts not fitting.
-Buffer tubes not correctly aligned.
-Collapsible stocks not allowing clearance for Charging handle.
-"USA Made" parts Made in China.  (Removable Carry handle)
-Roll pins used for barrel indexing instead of proper solid steel pin.
-Unstaked carrier keys.
-improper threads for grip screw in lower.
-Lower parts kits with parts that don't fit.

Do a search of the above names that this company has used, and read what others have posted.  I can see getting some of these with the intention of doing some tinkering and making an inexpensive range toy.  It is a platform that will allow you to get familiar with the AR, but many first time buyers just do not know what they may be getting themselves into.  There are some good threads of recent projects based on the Blackthorne kits that spell out what is good and what is bad in the kits.  

Also to the original poster when asking what the downsides can be.  One is resale value based on the reputation of the company.  If you didn't pay much you won't lose much.  There is generally a reason that these are cheaper that any other brand.

From everything that I have read I can't say I would never ever get one.  I just wouldn't pay much for one or expect a lot from one.  And I would plan on doing some work on it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2007 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, don't have much tied up in the trade, Most of the posts (thanks) confirm what i've read. I guess i'll just keep it to plink with & see what happens -
Preciate the input
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the question is: What isn't wrong with Vulcan Arms?
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:

Still do'nt knowhed

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/hossfly692000/AR-1.jpg
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Their more recent endeavors have included selling airsoft accessories as true firearm accessories.

Then again many on this site have voiced being perfectly fine with that also.
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
Read bad things about the Vulcan Arms AR15 but i got one on trade & don't see nothing wrong with it her

I don't know anything about Vulcan.... Question is, do you ride a Boss Hoss?
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Not sure what you're askin but I do own & ride ride a couple of horses Hoss
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Id buy Airsoft before I bought a Vulcan piece of shit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:

I really doubt that hought
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really doubt that
I thought there were some open & experienced minds here but looks like i was wrong

Glad you got a good shooter!

Enjoy it, ARs are fun (if it is any consolation, my Olympic Arms ARs get no respect here either).
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#22]

I thought there were some open & experienced minds here ...

Link Posted: 5/20/2007 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really doubt that
I thought there were some open & experienced minds here but looks like i was wrong

You came asked a question, and got answers worth exactly what you paid for them.

Not to mention probably exactly what you expected to read considering the inital post.

Where's the problem?
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I really doubt that hought

You came asked a question, and got answers worth exactly what you paid for them.

Not to mention probably exactly what you expected to read considering the inital post.

Where's the problem?here
Don't think i'll bother ya'll agin
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=329225

I was waiting for someone to link the two
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread is so great, I've just got to add this little pic from the AK side...

Link Posted: 5/23/2007 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This thread is so great, I've just got to add this little pic from the AK side...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/MolonLabe/vulcanak.jpg

I die laughing everytime I see that pic
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#29]
ETA woah weird double tap....hit the button once and it popped up saying I couldn't post for another 30 seconds.....  Vulcan even broke my internet!
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe they should change their slogan to "So easy a caveman can do it"

Link Posted: 5/23/2007 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that really a factory Vulcan AK, or was someone just having fun at Vulcan's expense?

I've always heard that it's real...but who knows
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still do'nt know Just finished puttin 320 rds tru it killin beer cans with no mishaps (so far)- Guess i'll just keep shootin it till something bad happens

img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/hossfly692000/AR-1.jpg

Just wait until zombies attack. Then it will be too late.
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that really a factory Vulcan AK, or was someone just having fun at Vulcan's expense?

I've always heard that it's real...but who knows

If you've ever seen the Hesse (now Vulcan, IIC) cast AR15 receivers, then that AK is clearly their earmark of quality.
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Maybe they should change their slogan to "So easy a caveman can do it"

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/springfield1911/cavemanarmament.jpg

Thats great, you need to add this caveman guy to that photo and the illusion will be complete.

Link Posted: 5/24/2007 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

...wats the down side to them?

The fact that they are still in business after years of creating potentially dangerous products...
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#37]
There isn't an experienced shooter on the planet who would stake their life on a Vulcan anything.

If your rifle is EXCLUSIVELY a beater/plinker....then go ahead and have fun.

If there's even a small part of you that thinks you should be able to depend on your rifle to defend yourself, you just purchased very false piece of mind.

Vulcan is literally at the very bottom of the list in terms of quality, reliability.

If Colt is filet mignon, and Olympic Arms is Spam, then Vulcan would reside as ground up cow anus stuck to the inside of the dumpster at the Spam factory.
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really doubt that

There are some experienced minds here which is why we are not open to everything.  I seem to remember seeing a thread a couple days ago showing a wonderful Vulcan plastic receiver that was cracked in two!  
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really doubt that

There are some experienced minds here which is why we are not open to everything.  I seem to remember seeing a thread a couple days ago showing a wonderful Vulcan plastic receiver that was cracked in two!  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=329225
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

WOW
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Vulcan doesn't even show up to the local gun shows anymore. It ain't too good when the home state won't even support you.

DPMS on the other hand has really good deals at local fun shows and they are heavily supported by the home state.

Link Posted: 5/24/2007 6:27:57 AM EDT
[#42]
“Machine Guns Of The Special Forces”? Wouldn’t this be false advertising?
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Technically they are all "machines" but in reference to Vulcan, "Gun" is a bit misleading.
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Vulcan has so little credibility as it is that nobody would bother to even address that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm no fan of Vulcan, but a friend was wanting me to build him a franken rifle and brought me a set of Vulcan receivers for the base to build on.
We added a Colt gov't. profile barrel, BM BCG, Sportsman's Guide LPK, and an A2 stock set from 'where ever he got it'. I thought it was going to crap the bed on the first outing, bust a receiver, or have FCG problems, or just fail to feed reliably. It turned out that it held up fine for the last two years of regular shooting, at least 4000 rds so far. The Colt barrel has kept groups in the 1" range, and nothing else has gone wrong. It may be that even the worst maker can occasionally get it right, but, I feel this is an exception to the norm for Vulcan. Told him his rifle should be on 'Ripley's Believe It Or Not'.

Link Posted: 5/24/2007 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

If Colt is filet mignon, and Olympic Arms is Spam, then Vulcan would reside as ground up cow anus stuck to the inside of the dumpster at the Spam factory.

Link Posted: 5/24/2007 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Think 'Special' as in 'short bus', not as in 'Badass mutha'.
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#48]
ORF sold me a M70 receiver that looks damn nice. Trial fitting is perfect but I am waiting on a NO-DAK SPUD to compare. Maybe I got lucky.
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
ORF sold me a M70 receiver that looks damn nice. Trial fitting is perfect but I am waiting on a NO-DAK SPUD to compare. Maybe I got lucky.

WTF is a NO-DAK SPUD?
Link Posted: 5/24/2007 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DAMN ! That's just wrong !

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top