Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2004 11:27:01 AM EDT
WHEN () the ban sunsets in a month or so...  i'm wondering which washer to use?  I believe peel is what is mil-spec... but why?  Is it truly 'better'.... or do they just serve differnet applications....

all i know is that i'm starting out with an a2 FS... and if that sucks... i'm moving on to a phatom...  so there maybe a need for a muzzle device change...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Crush applies to A1 as no need to index.  Peel for A2 or any device requiring indexing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Crush. Works for all models.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
You can index with a crush washer.  Just apply enough torque to "crush" the washer the right amount.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#4]
so is the main reason for these washers, so your FS doesn't unscrew?

i thought the amount of torque you applyed to the FS was a standard amount and thats why you need a torque wrench...

true?
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The crush washer is made to deform, so it is simple to index your FS.  The peel washer is a little more time consuming, as it has to be cut (or peeled) down to size.

With all things being equal, the crush washer is a simpler way of doing things.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't know, but what I do know is the Smith Vortex doesn't require indexing and is the best FS out currently.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#7]
i like the crush deals, they are simple, but i have used the peels quite a few times, they work great also
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Both should be banned.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#9]
IMHO...

From a purely esthetic point of view, the peel washer looks much better. However, from an assembly/smithing point of view, the crush washer is much easier to deal with.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#10]
GO with a Crush washer, Peel washers are a Pain in the ass to use!
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
so is the main reason for these washers, so your FS doesn't unscrew?

No, these are not lock washers, which prevent your FS from coming loose.
Peel and crush washers are for indexing, or aligning, your muzzle device in the correct direction.  This is only a concern for FS, muzzle brakes or compensators that are asymmetrical and have ports that must face a certain direction, usually up.  Of course you can use these washers with non-indexed FSs as well.

i thought the amount of torque you applyed to the FS was a standard amount and thats why you need a torque wrench...
true?

The required torque is a range.  Once you've reached the minimum torque, just tighten until the FS is correctly indexed.  But I don't usually bother with the torque wrench.  Just tighten until it feels secure.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The crush washer used for this particular application was developed by the folks at Capco, Inc. to help speed up their A2 upper assembly line on one of their DOD contracts. It was taking the assembly line people (mostly girls) too long to fool around with the peel washers.

The crush washer is now considered mil-spec.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't know, but what I do know is the Smith Vortex doesn't require indexing and is the best FS out currently.

Agreed.  I love the fact that my Smith Vortex just "works" - no indexing required.  And it works damn well I might add.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 1:59:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the ease of a crush washer but I have not found a suppressor manufacturer that recomends it with thier cans.If you plan on using a silencer stick with the peal washer.SJR556.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Peel.....not peal

that ends today's lesson......
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I just picked up a bag of peel washers, and they look pretty damn solid to me.  How are you to reduce their width?  Do they split apart if you take a blade to them?  Or must they be ground to the correct size?  BTW, I'm needing them for an indexable FH.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#17]
You're supposed to be able to separate the layers with a razor blade or heat the washer with a flame, but those methods never worked for me (I probably wasn't doing it right).  I finally just put one horizontal (flat) in my bench vise and squeezed until I could see it separate.  Then I used a blade to separate them.  The individual layers are pretty thin.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#18]
... Regardless of your decision, I’m of good authority that one should never torque your flashhider on your barrel at more than 15 inch-pounds. Accuracy purposes.

Thanks innocent_bystander
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
... Regardless of your decision, I’m of good authority that one should never torque your flashhider on your barrel at more than 15 inch-pounds. Accuracy purposes.

Thanks innocent_bystander

So you guys use blue loctite then to keep it from unscrewing?  I got an A2 with a peel that likes to back off.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Could someone post pics of each?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#21]
use the peel washer
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top