Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 6:54:09 AM EDT
Not sure if this better goes here or in the Competition forum, but I'm asking about AR's in particular:

What AR do you use for 3Gun?  How's it configured, and why?

The rifle I'm currently using for 3Gun is a Rock-River "special build" 16" with a bull barrel turned down to hbar contour in front of the weaver-style gas block. 1-in-9" twist. Aluminum mid-length free-float handguard.  Harris bipod.   It's currently wearing an ARMS #40 and RRA front sight, but will be getting an ACOG TA11 shortly (to be mounted on an ARMS #19S).

http://www.demigod.org/~zak/tmp/47small.jpg

I may want to go to a 18" or 20" barrel, with compensator (JP?), with 1-in-8" twist, but this one will do for a while.

-z
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Bushy V Match 20", JP fire control, Leupold Mark4 CQ/T optical sight.  Also my LE duty rifle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Dont laugh an OLY PCR-16

[img]http://www.olyarms.com/images/pcr16.jpg[/img]

EO-Tech 511 w/ standard ret.
16" 1x9" twist Bull barrel
Free Float Handguard
Picatinny Gas Block
Standard Picatinny Flat-top upper
Forward Assist and Dust Cover Assembly
Match Grade Button Rifled Barrel
shoots sub inch groups at 100 yards, no problem.

The bull barrel looks huge and has some weight but muzzle rise is little to nothing and I see no need for a comp.

I have people smirk at the matches about the configuration and maker. They werent laughing the last rifle stage when I came in 2nd.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Cav-arms lower
Bushmaster flat top upper
14.5" fluted heavy barrel with Mini-Y comp
single stage match trigger
GG&G BUIS and scout rail
Aimpoint ML2 in Aimpoint QD mount.

We're currently limited to 300 yrds on one range, and most of the shooting is done from point blank to 100yrds at another facility, so the red-dots rule.  Have a forward mounting point available for a forward vertical grip; I hate the things, but they are unbeatable when used as a mono-pod for stages that don't allow a bi-pod.

The bottom line is that if your not using a brake, you'll get your ass handed to you. No offense meant u-baddog, but people wonder why we use these "LOUD" things, most of whom have never been under the clock.  The bull barrel is another way to go, but I've found that the added weight slows my gun movement on the "run and gun" stages.  If bushmaster would offer their A1 government barrel with a Mini-y, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  I'd love to have an ultra-light carbine with absolutely NO muzzle rise.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Limited Rifle:
Colt A2 upper with stock bolt carrier
20 inch Colt HBar barrel with Accuracy Speaks Comp 1 in 7 twist
.050 front post and custom same plane rear aperture
Scott Medesha Handguard and AS trigger kit

Open and Tactical Scope rifle:
DPMS flattop receiver w/ Young bolt carrier
18 inch Douglas 1 in 9 barrel with standard length gas system and AS comp
Accuracy Speaks Handguard and Trigger
A1 stock with Adjustable buttplate
ACOG TA11 for Tac Scope class
Leupold 3-9 X on AS extended scope rail and Aimpoint mounted on weaver rail at 2 o'clock on handguard for open class  
Redi-Mag
Harris bipod

I don't mean to pick on anyone's gun but 16 inch guns don't win in three gun, especially in Limited class.  The JP 18 incher with the Bennie Cooley comp is the way to go for a "factory" gun.  The Cooley comp is not quite as "soft" as the standard JP but it's legal in more matches.  Other good ways to go are the Clark Gator and the Bennie Hill AR (www.trianglesports.com).  Notice that none of the companies specializing in rifles for 3 Gun parade a shorty as their flagship gun.    

I don't really see a difference in times between heavy and light guns.  I did before comps became legal in tactical and limited class - heavy was better - but not now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top