Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2002 2:56:22 PM EDT
What's the best way to go about cleaning the firing chamber and the locking lugs?  Is this where the chamber brush comes in?  If so, what's the correct method cuz I don't want mess anything up (e.g. the bore).  I'm clueless in this area.  I got everything else down pat, except this particular area.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:48:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of those Georgia Precision Chamber cleaning rods and it works great.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Tommy, you wanna describe the method I mentioned? The link I posted is so old it's now dead. Thanks partner! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't remember the source, but I once read a tip for creating a "locking lug area" only brush.  Simply take a military chamber cleaning brush, cut off the bronze brush portion, and re-twist the ends of the binding rod together.  The remaining stainless steel portion is dedicated for the locking lug area.  Attach to a rod and twirl away!
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I just use a battery powered drill with a short section of rod to clean the chamber.  Works well and quick.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to have to get one of these chamber cleaning tools. It's the only part of my new AR I dont really feel like I have the proper equipment for cleaning. Won't you need something for mopping up the mess you scrape off though. I'm referring to a cotton or a wool mop. I noticed your's does not have a threaded end. Any plans to make one with threads?

I've been using the "Bore Snakes" for cleaning all my bores lately. I got real tired of the push the brush, unscrew the brush, pull the rod back out, screw the brush back on, push it back down the bore. Then the worry of am I damaging my bore with the rod, should I get a bore guide? PHOOIE on rods! The bore snake really cleans and I've pulled it through the bore never more than twice. All in one cleaning and protecting put some CLP an the front end of it, drop the brass sinker down the bore, pull it through. Best $13 I've ever spent on gun stuff. Anybody else use/like them?
Link Posted: 2/14/2003 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/16/2003 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just use a battery powered drill with a short section of rod to clean the chamber.  Works well and quick.
View Quote

DITTO!!   I have a dedicated chamber brush/rod combo made from an old piece of Hoppes rod. I filed the back end so it won't slip in my drill chuck. Spray a little CLP, hit the drill for about 10 seconds, and spray clean with the CLP.
Link Posted: 2/20/2003 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Someone else asked earlier in this thread, I don't  think I saw an answer for it.  I have the same question.  How do you mop out all of the crud you just scraped out of behind the locking lugs?
Link Posted: 2/21/2003 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Spray it out with WD40, then dry with a patch, lightly lube lugs with a product of your choice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2003 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
You might want to look at Sinclair Intl's lug recess cleaning tool. I have one and it's very helpful.

[img]www.sinclairintl.com/images/gold/full/14-925.jpg[/img]

These Lug Recess Tools for AR-15’s and AR-10’s are one-of-a-kind tools. The lug recess area is a very neglected area on the AR rifles and thus collects a lot of grease,grit,powder residue,etc.Our lug recess tools utilize a 1"cotton roll that is inserted into a tool head and retracted into a Delrin ™sleeve.The tool head and sleeve are then inserted into the action all the way to the barrel extension.The tool head is pushed into the lug recess area where the cotton roll expands.A couple of clockwise rotations clean up the area.Can be used with solvents or dry.The Lug Recess Tools can also be used to wipe off the face of the barrel extension.A great tool to complete your AR cleaning kit.One bag of cotton rolls is included with each tool.

[url]www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=CPACT&item=14-925&type=store[/url]
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 3:54:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The bore snake really cleans and I've pulled it through the bore never more than twice. Anybody else use/like them?
View Quote

They are good in a pinch but try using a brush and jag AFTER you have used the boresnake. You might be surprised how much guck is still in there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#14]
BookHound

I wouldn't let WD40 touch my blackpowder rifles or pistols!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://www.olyarms.com/images/ac1.jpg[/img]

from olyarms.com
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#19]
^^ Skookum? lol
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#20]
i use a militray cleaning rod with the militray chamber brush. i coat it in FP-10 and scrub by twisting it. then i remove it and mop out with a patch. then since i shoot wolf and barnaul, i then attach a 35 cal brush on it and wrap a patch on it and coat it lightly with isso bore paste and scrub with that. put on another patch scrub with that one, 2nd pactch is usually clean. then i clean out any remaing isso or fp-10 out and i am set.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#23]
same question too....
[peep][shock][toilet][peep]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#24]
That's what I was thinking...it's like the thread that doesn't want to die...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I just use a chamber brush to scrub the area, then to clean out the loosened gunk, I wrap a thin peice of rag around the chamber brush, re-insert into the chamber and twist around again.  This will clean out most of the gunk, but I will then follow up with q-tips to clean up any remaining debris in the receiver extension.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#28]
That is what my Colt AR-15 came with was a bore brush in the handle.  Nice tool.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I use brake parts cleaner. But on the other hand I just did this and a coat of grease came off the entire inner upper reciever as I posted in another forum. brakes pars cleaner will eat any grease or what you might have in the lugs and the chamber. This idea was given to me by Speedy Gonzales, the world record holder in 1000 yard bench rest.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I find the GI chamber brush and cleaning rod will do a good job of breaking up all the gunk, but you still need some help getting it out of the lug area.  

A doubled up pipe cleaner does the trick in a pinch. When I'm feeling impatient I'll hose the area out with some brake cleaner or WD-40, wipe out as best I can with a rag, and then re-lube with CLP.

Brake cleaner is a great solvent for guns, as long as you keep it away from wood and plastic.  If you're using it on metal, if brake cleaner will take it off, it probably didn't belong on there anyway.  

Regarding the bore snakes, I love them.  They are great for doing a lot of the heavy lifting, and a good timesaver, but they don't do a thorough cleaning of the bore.  They will remove about 70% of the powder fouling, though.  To get the bore spotless I usually have to do a little more scrubbing with the brush or some solvent soaked patches, and then follow up with a few patches of copper solvent.  A couple dry patches will clean out the solvent and a couple CLP patch finishes things up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Q-tips.....       bend one in the middle till its almost 90'... that wipes it up fairly well.

LittleJacek
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Brownells recently added a chamber mop to their catalog.  It basically follows the form of the chamber brush.

Jerry

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#36]
OK everything looks good I ordered the chamber brushes and rod.

I had bad luck with laqured Wolf ammo and coated my chamber.

I read that it is difficult to remove the stuff.

How do you get the chamber clean? Do you use special solvents?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Tommy, what is your opinion on using GM TEC? Any tips or warnings on using it?

As for using brake cleaner, should you use the chlorinated or non-chlorinated kind, or does it not matter?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Someone much earlier in a different thread gave me a tip that is awesome.  Go to a pawn shop, or talk your dentist out of one.  A dental pick tool, double ended.  Bend it to be about 90 from the handle.  Go to Kmart, or a store and get some plastic qtips. the kind with the hollow plastic tube.  Cut the tip off of the plastic and slip it over the dental tool tip.  Go inside the lug area and wipe out the gunk.

Works great.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#41]
I always use Hoppes to clean out the crud in the barrel and bore, then I use a CLP spray to flush out any cloose crud.I also use a spray cleaner and lube, can remember the name, but this will blast away most of the powder fouling in hard to reach places.Has always worked for me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I use, the rare times that I clean ARs, electronics cleaner, not brake cleaner or engine degreaser. A lot of those leave a film on the part and will/can harm plastics, wood finishes and rubber as Tommy mentioned.

Edited to add, I also clean the chamber first then the bore from chamber to muzzle. This cleans out the chamber residue pushed into the bore during chamber cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Like others have posted this tool from Sinclairs and the Dewey rod with the chamber brush works great!
I also found that a pistol rod with a 12ga brush and a small piece of a rag wrapped around it works great for the inside of the upper. A 9mm bore mop or large patch works good for drying or adding a coat of clp after cleaning the chamber. The upper minus the barrel is done in less than 5min.

Mark

You might want to look at Sinclair Intl's lug recess cleaning tool. I have one and it's very helpful.

These Lug Recess Tools for AR-15’s and AR-10’s are one-of-a-kind tools. The lug recess area is a very neglected area on the AR rifles and thus collects a lot of grease,grit,powder residue,etc.Our lug recess tools utilize a 1"cotton roll that is inserted into a tool head and retracted into a Delrin ™sleeve.The tool head and sleeve are then inserted into the action all the way to the barrel extension.The tool head is pushed into the lug recess area where the cotton roll expands.A couple of clockwise rotations clean up the area.Can be used with solvents or dry.The Lug Recess Tools can also be used to wipe off the face of the barrel extension.A great tool to complete your AR cleaning kit.One bag of cotton rolls is included with each tool.

www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=CPACT&item=14-925&type=stor
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 2:07:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What's the best way to go about cleaning the firing chamber and the locking lugs?  Is this where the chamber brush comes in?  If so, what's the correct method cuz I don't want mess anything up (e.g. the bore).  I'm clueless in this area.  I got everything else down pat, except this particular area.
View Quote

Check out brownells.com for this kit, part number 084-000-029 Deluxe Kit, Cotton Mop. I have been ordering them for customers at cost. Retail is $20.12 dealer cost $15.07; you really cannot beat the value of a good cleaning system. One of the major problems with ar-15 owners is failure to properly clean the chamber and barrel extension; you may get most of the carbon out with other methods but keep your chamber clean.

It greatly increases life of your brass if you reload, keeps the chamber clean for ease of extraction, also by keeping the lugs spiffy you will not encounter failure to feed or ejection issues. Most of the problems you cannot see with the naked eye, but put a bore scope into the chamber and it really looks nasty, little specks of carbon and burnt gun oil can become a issue after a while.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#46]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19480[/img]?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top