Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 5:14:57 PM EDT
Dark Side question.....I overheard a discussion at work today debating the difference between an AR15 and M16.  The shop foreman stated that the only difference  was that th "M" in M16 stands for millitary. Sadly, I have neither and have yet to stray from my AK based rifles so I kept my mouth shut, but still would like to know an unbias answer.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
the search function above works wonders!

but basically one is select fire and the other is just semi, ar being semi of course
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Aren't there original AR15s that are select fire?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Search, ummm. You AR side guys and your high tech gadgetry. I don't think we have that on the AK forum? Oh, well, back to the dark side I go.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Short Answer: AR-15 is the non-NFA regulated civilian assault rifle that is semi-fire only. The M16 is the NFA regulated Class III assault rifle that offers various shooting modes: semi, burst, full-auto. The M16 is available to Class III permit holders, military and law enforcement agencies. There are several differences in the components of these rifles. AR-15s are used by some law enforcement agencies.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
M16= buuurrrrrrp!

AR15= bang, bang, bang
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Back again.....
AK-POP,POP,POP
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Hulk SMASH!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
M16= buuurrrrrrp!

AR15= bang, bang, bang

TOO funny.....  good job
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Back again.....
AK-POP,POP,POP

Actually... that was pretty good too....   you're alright.  Now all you need is a black rifle
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
More Thrust per Squeeze!  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]
The difference between an AR-15 and an M-16 is about $9000.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The difference between an AR-15 and an M-16 is about $9000.

Doooh

beat me by 30 seconds

I was gonna say $12000
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I know this isn't the best answer, but...

AR-15 = AR-15
M16 = M16

Similar but different...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#14]
The term "M16" is  the military designation.  "AR-15" was Armalite's model designation for the original rifle that was full auto.  Later the term "AR-15" came to mean, to most people, the semiauto civilian version.

As far as the actual differences:

First, there is the famous "third hole", drilled directly above the selector hole.  This is for the pivot pin for the "autosear".  The autosear, in full auto mode, holds the hammer back until the bolt is in full battery, and as the bolt carrier comes all the way forward, the lower rear part of the bolt carrier hits the top of the autosear.  The autosear pivots, and the lower part releases the hammer.

The hammer has a spur on the "tail" which catches on the autosear.  This spur is ground off on the hammer in the semiauto AR-15.

The safety selector on the AR-15 is simply a cylinder with a flat spot that either holds the rear of the trigger down, in SAFE, or the flat allows the trigger to move in the FIRE position.  The M16's selector has some more bumps and warts.

The autosear also has a little arm that comes down and touches the selector.  In the Semi postion, the selector touches the arm of the autosear in such a way as to move it so it is disabled, and does not touch the hammer.  In the Auto position it allows the autosear to work.

The trigger of the M16 has the slot for the disconnector cut all the way to the rear.  The disconnector has a tail that goes out the back of the trigger through this slot, and touches the bottom of the selector.  In the Semi postion the disconnector is allowed to move and works like it does on a semiauto AR-15.  In the Auto position, a bump on the selector holds the tail of the disconnector down so it does not work.

So, the parts that are different are the selector, the disconnector, the trigger, the hammer, and the bolt carrier.  The bolt carrier has more metal on bottom to actuate the autosear.  This is cut away area prevents an AR-15 bolt carrier from touching an autosear.

The inside of the lower receiver is made narrower to prevent simply drilling a hole and putting in an autosear.  Extra metal would have to be machined out.  Some receivers have even more material to prevent "Drop In Auto Sears" from being used.  Colt adds a steel block.

So, there you are, the differences between the M16 and AR-15.  The semiauto AR-15's lower receivers and fire control parts are designed to prevent use of full auto parts or modification of parts to full auto config.

Edited to add:  So, when you hear "All you gotta do to make it full auto is file down the (fill in the blank)", you can call BS on them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The term "M16" is  the military designation.  "AR-15" was Armalite's model designation for the original rifle that was full auto.  Later the term "AR-15" came to mean, to most people, the semiauto civilian version.

As far as the actual differences:

First, there is the famous "third hole", drilled directly above the selector hole.  This is for the pivot pin for the "autosear".  The autosear, in full auto mode, holds the hammer back until the bolt is in full battery, and as the bolt carrier comes all the way forward, the lower rear part of the bolt carrier hits the top of the autosear.  The autosear pivots, and the lower part releases the hammer.

The hammer has a spur on the "tail" which catches on the autosear.  This spur is ground off on the hammer in the semiauto AR-15.

The safety selector on the AR-15 is simply a cylinder with a flat spot that either holds the rear of the trigger down, in SAFE, or the flat allows the trigger to move in the FIRE position.  The M16's selector has some more bumps and warts.

The autosear also has a little arm that comes down and touches the selector.  In the Semi postion, the selector touches the arm of the autosear in such a way as to move it so it is disabled, and does not touch the hammer.  In the Auto position it allows the autosear to work.

The trigger of the M16 has the slot for the disconnector cut all the way to the rear.  The disconnector has a tail that goes out the back of the trigger through this slot, and touches the bottom of the selector.  In the Semi postion the disconnector is allowed to move and works like it does on a semiauto AR-15.  In the Auto position, a bump on the selector holds the tail of the disconnector down so it does not work.

So, the parts that are different are the selector, the disconnector, the trigger, the hammer, and the bolt carrier.  The bolt carrier has more metal on bottom to actuate the autosear.  This is cut away area prevents an AR-15 bolt carrier from touching an autosear.

The inside of the lower receiver is made narrower to prevent simply drilling a hole and putting in an autosear.  Extra metal would have to be machined out.  Some receivers have even more material to prevent "Drop In Auto Sears" from being used.  Colt adds a steel block.

So, there you are, the differences between the M16 and AR-15.  The semiauto AR-15's lower receivers and fire control parts are designed to prevent use of full auto parts or modification of parts to full auto config.

Excellent description!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the "M" stands for model not military.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a guy tell me, "That's one thing the military taught me, how to convert any semiauto into full auto.  All you gotta do is..."  

I asked him, "Doesn't the military BUY their M16's ALREADY full auto?"  (I need a smiley that rolls the eyes)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#18]
"Bang" and "Bang, Bang, Bang"
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#19]
M16

AR15
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had a guy tell me, "That's one thing the military taught me, how to convert any semiauto into full auto.  All you gotta do is..."  

I asked him, "Doesn't the military BUY their M16's ALREADY full auto?"  (I need a smiley that rolls the eyes)

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Short Answer: AR-15 is the non-NFA regulated civilian assault rifle that is semi-fire only. The M16 is the NFA regulated Class III assault rifle that offers various shooting modes: semi, burst, full-auto. The M16 is available to Class III permit holders, military and law enforcement agencies. There are several differences in the components of these rifles. AR-15s are used by some law enforcement agencies.

You can have an NFA AR15... (SBR,LL,RDIAS...I don't consider last two an "M16")
You do not need a C3 "permit" to own an M16.
Just live in a good State with a bunch of money and patience...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#22]
One can shoot really, realy fast just with the flick of a switch!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top