Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 12:49:48 PM EDT
I understand that there may be several states that allow their subjects to own pre-'94 ARs (including "evil" features) but no new ones despite the Federal ban sunsetting. Which ones do this? I'm curious, because I have a couple of Essential Arms lowers and I'm thinking of selling them to allow somone in one of these states to enjoy a proper, non-neutered AR.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#1]
True.

There ARE some states that, not being satisfied with Federal Legislation, passed their own State Bans.

Of those few states, again, SOME allowed so called "grandfathered" "Assault Weapons" to be possessed if manufactured and or possessed prior to the state ban. You would need to do some research to find out just exactly what those bans entailed in each of those repressive states, as they DO differ in their approach. Some may indeed allow the acquisition of "pre-ban" weapons, and some have a cutoff date, after which no new ones may be acquired, regardless of "pre-ban" status.

Bottom line is that for SOME people in SOME of those states, a "pre-ban" rifle may still be legally acquired, thus retaining SOME of the "value" they held before the end of the Federal Ban.

Before getting involved in a transaction, on EITHER end, involving one of those states, be certain to thoroughly research the laws applicable. Preferrably by Government Publication, rather than The Internet.

Lonny
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
New York's ban is almost a 100% copy of the Federal legislation that has now expired.  Unlike CA and a few other states, we can still buy new AR's but they have to meet what was called the "post-ban" feature test; no bayo lug, flash suppressor, folding/telescopic stock or various named weapons such as "Colt AR-15".

If your EA's can be documented to be "pre-ban" I might be interested in one if the price is not too high.  Otherwise I'll stick with my "post-ban" ban configurations and vacation in PA to play with NY banned stuff.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
EA receivers are easily documented to be "pre-ban" per the Federal ban, as EA went out of business before it was enacted, thus none were made in or after 1994. I don't know if that date is also when NY enacted their ban.

I'm not looking to gouge anyone... I'll probably list them for less than $300 with LPK installed, but I need to verify legality as far as the buyer's state.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I always thought that it was illegal to bring any "assault weapon" into California after the ban, if it had not been there at that time. I was told that I could keep what I had and had to register them, but could not bring them in from another state. But all the guys on here seem to think they know a loop hole. I would be interested to know if a FFL would allow you to transfer a SAW that was sent to you from another state. I am only mildly curios now, as I fled to Oregon, and never looked back.     ( never did register any of mine)
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Edited.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Massachusetts also has a state ban that mirrors the '94 A.W.B.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
i just traded an Oly preban lower for 2 bushmasters to someone in CT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top