Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2003 7:19:29 PM EDT
I am growing old and tired schlepping a thousand things to the range. The Boy Scout "BE Prepared" for the "just in case" has my bag over flowing. Everytime I go to pare down the stuff in my range bag I swear it gets bigger and now I need another range bag!

So what do YOU bring to the range???
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Best "tool" kit I have found is a backup fire arm ;-).

The following fits in one of the smaller USGI type tool kit and is tossed in the truck when ever I go shooting (a small set of sockets, pliers etc. live in the truck), note also keep a cleaning kit in the truck for everything from 22LR to 50 BMG (including 416 for the Rigby ;-).

* Small spray can of Break Free CLP
Two shop rags (one to work on)
* USGI M16 cleaning kit with comerical adapter
HK clone of M16 cleaning kit (for the HKs ;-)
Sight adjust tools (A1/A2 & HK)
* Plastic/rubber hammer
* No mar platic jaw slip joint pliers
Set of Brownells screw drivers
Couple Regular screwdrivers
Allen wrench
Punches, steel, brass and plastic
Small hammers (steel and brass)
Awl
Needle nose pliers
Cresent wrench
Small vise grips
Extra complete M16 bolt
Bolt rebuild kit, .223 & 9mm
Handguard removal tool
(HK bolt parts etc.)
Flashlight
Deadblow hammer (2#)

For an all day shoot typicaly toss a 5 gallon pail in the truck with rags, brake cleaner, blue shop paper towels, big can brake cleaner, nitro solvent and usually rem oil.

Then again the last shoot, I also tossed the ultrasonic cleaner and air compressor in the truck ... so one can not say I travel light [;)]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Range Bag Contents:

Three handguns in cases
Spotting scope
Stapler and extra staples
About 10 NRA pistol targets
Insect repellent
Hand towel (aka "sweat rag")
Cleaning rags
PAST recoil shield
First aid kit (includes extra earplugs)
Mini-Mag flashlight
CLP
Set of punches
Set of needle files
Gunsmithing screwdriver set
Water bottle
Shooting glasses
Earmuffs
Leatherman tool
Pen & notebook
Skeet vest (stuffed in top of bag)
Bag for used brass

[url]http://grahamcracka.dns2go.com/rangebag/rangebag.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ammo, mags, guns, oil, and a rag.

I never plan on fixing anything at the range.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Ammo and Ear Plugs!

Sorry same Boat as Just, I don't plan on fixing anything at the range or out shooting.

Oh I lied, I have a full size Swiss Army Knife with me most of the time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#5]
There has been more than one occasion where I have been test firing a newly built gun, and had a problem which could easily be fixed if I only had a punch, screwdriver, or file.  Since my range is 30 minutes away, I tend to stay out there quite a while, so I don't bother packing light.  An inoperable gun can be very frustrating if it's the only one you happened to bring.

Also I keep a toolkit in my truck for emergency repairs: a couple pair of Channel-locks, a couple Crescent wrenches, needlenose pliers, a 4-headed screwdriver, utility knife, a socket set, some 100-mph tape, and about 50 feet of rope.  Most shooting-related issues can usually be solved by resorting to this toolkit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
some 100-mph tape,
View Quote

God I'd love to hear of some of the applications of good ol' 100-mile-hour tape [:)]

I pack mags and ammo. My range is in my backyard so if anything does screw up I go in the house and get what I need.

I just need one of every Bushmaster product and I'll be set.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The last thing I recall using the 100-mph tape for was to cover the vent hole on one of my AR's buttpads.  It was squirting grease all over my shirt.  

Also, it makes a good field-expedient optics mounting system.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Fender blanket
Bondhus allen wrenches
4-way screwdriver
Stapler and xtra staples
Earmuffs and/or plugs
Otis cleaning kit
One black cotton sock
Variety of targets
Sharpie marker
Ammo of the day
Ziplock baggie for empties
Bug juice
Sunglasses
Thermos of iced tea [8D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#9]
i got 3 bags.
1.  ammo and mag bag.
2.  load out bag.  (tactical nylon)
3.  repair bag.  spare AR bolt.  plus about 100 tools, screw drivers etc. plus cleaning patches.

i have an old reloading die box full of jags, brushes and oil.

3.  i made up a two cleaning rod holder out of PVC pipe.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Wish I could go to the backyard & shoot & not have to take 30 pounds of stuff. I also have to travel 40 miles to the closest range so like Ken_M, I want to be prepared. I have a rubbermaid box which I keep all my targets, cleaning supplies & tools, ammo, magazines, stapler & tape (to patch target holes), ear plugs, gloves, snacks, thermos, paper towls, water or cokes. Still have room for other items too. I plan on having everything I need just in case. Its only a matter of slinging the rifle over the shoulder & grabbing the box for a fun filled day at the range. I'm a believer in taking what you might need & hope you don't need it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#11]
check out this at cabelas. It is very compact and comes in handy when you are carrying more than one caliber gun to the range.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0005332224110a&navAction=jump&navCount=2&indexId=cat20797&podId=0005332&catalogCode=ID&parentId=cat20797&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20712&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fc

sorry it is so long. i could not get it any smaller.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#12]
My range bag consists of...

Magazines
Ammo
Stapler
Paper
Magic marker
Ear protection
Eye protection
Tape

I've only gone to the range once, actually... I just shoot from my front porch, and I have everything I need in the house. ;)
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't carry magazines or ammo in a range bag.  I carry my ammo in my magazines (or in the original shipping cartons), and my magazines in my LBE gear.  

As for tools?  Nada (practically).  If I can't fix it with a pocke knife, it's too broken to fix at the range.  But like a lot of the other guys, my "range" is my back yard and all of the desert behind it.  If I'm 4 wheeling, I just take an extra gun - and water, and a cell phone.

Cleaning gear?  A "snake" (just in case), but that's in my LBE gear anyway.  I clean and lubricate when I get home.  Same goes for the gun.

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry very similar items to those listed.  

In addition, I carry a first aid kit.  A complete set of needle files. Sunscreen.  An extra set of ear and eye protection available for anyone who may have forgotten them.  A package of baby wipes--sterile, wet, great for cleaning up insect repellant, sunscreen, black powder, or gunk you don't want on your steering wheel. Leather gloves.  4 sets of nitrile gloves in the first aid kit.  12 feet of 550 cord. Sight black.  Large plastic zip lock bags for brass collection.  A large heavy duty garbage bag for cleaning up after less honorable litterbug shooters.  Range rule book.  Flag safeties.  Memo book.  Ink pen.  6" steel rule.  Flashlight.  Handcuffs.  Universal clamp-on bipod.  Extra batteries for ANYTHING that may possibly need extra batteries.  

Needless to say, I carry two range bags.  One has all of the above and then some.  The second one carries guns, ammo, etc.  A third bag carrys the spotting scope and mount, if required.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:37:37 AM EDT
[#15]
OK, why the handcuffs?

Lock up gun cases I assume.

Regards
John
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Cleaning gear, small hammer, multi tip screwdriver, needle nose pliers, forceps, small vise grips, 6" crescent wrench, small file set, can of lube, can of brake cleaner, shop towels, and small flash light. And a stapler with spare staples, roll of para cord, and a small roll of duct tape.

It is all kept in a Flambeau Dry box, available at Wally World for around $7.

Check out page nine of this link for the dry box.

[url]http://www.flamprod.com/outdoors/hunting_cats03/otdrs_accessoriescat03pv.pdf[/url]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top