Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 8:52:25 AM EDT
I recently scoped my DSA FAL and am pleased with the results so far using Port surplus ammo.

I'm thinking about deer hunting with this rifle a time or two this year and am looking for some quality hunting ammo.  I'm very interested in seeing how well this rifle will group with some good hunting ammo.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Try some PMC ammo. It's decent stuff and they make hunting and plinking rounds.

[url]http://www.pmcammo.com/rifle/rifle_ballistics.html [/url]

CRC
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Used this last year in '06, but they sell it in 308 (150 grn). Ballistic tip ammo did such a number on deer, lost a whole front shoulder, suggest ya use a neck shot.

[img]http://www.remington.com/images/ammo/scirbox.jpg[/img]

Or if ya can find some of the new Hornady 165 grn. SST, which is what we've loaded up for use w/ the 30-06 this year. This is even more impressive than the above round.

FWIW, I'd buy a box of Fed., Win., Rem., Hornady, all in 150grn. or 165grn. Ballistic Tips, whatever local store sells and pick the round my rifle shot the best groups with as the BTs are definate deer droppers.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with the Hornady 165 grn. SST also.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:42:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Hornady 150 Gn SST

Polymer tip and controlled expansion.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:53:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive hand loaded 165gr Hornady sst rounds and shot them from my FAL. Its was very accurate and has good expansion.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd stay from the Remington Core-Lokt.

The expensive "controlled expansion" ammo I have found to be less effective on deer than regular soft points.  As others have said, the ballistic tip type bullets work great too.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top