Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 6:05:08 PM EDT
I recently purchased a varminter, and now I'm worried I might have been had.

So I'm asking, what would you pay for a NIB varminter w/24" chrome lined barrel, 4 rail gas block, ARMS 40, and a front BMAS flip up sight?  

If I remember right, I added it up as MSRP $1450.  What would you guess a reasonable street price would be?  

Gundraw
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a varminter, and now I'm worried I might have been had.

So I'm asking, what would you pay for a NIB varminter w/24" chrome lined barrel, 4 rail gas block, ARMS 40, and a front BMAS flip up sight?  

If I remember right, I added it up as MSRP $1450.  What would you guess a reasonable street price would be?  

Gundraw
View Quote

Who was the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
w/24" chrome lined barrel
View Quote

I assume you're talking about the Bushmaster.  If so, I really don't think it's chrome-lined.  In fact, I'm quite certain it is not.

From the Bushmaster website:

The Bushmaster 24" Varminter Extra Heavy Barrel Assembly… is the heart of our very successful and accurate “Varminter” Rifle. Like our DCM Competition Barrel, it is machined from the finest Chrome-Moly Vanadium Steel with a Manganese Phosphate finish, and unlike our standard barrels, [red]it is not chrome lined.[/red] It features 1 x 9" button rifling; SAAMI Spec.; an extra heavy profile (1" diameter out to the gas block); deep, lengthwise fluting; an 11° competition muzzle crown and a milled “V Match” sight base/gas block We recommend assembly of this special barrel to your Upper by an experienced AR15 gunsmith.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:22:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Excuse me,

Yes, it's a Bushmaster, and Yes, it's a chrome lined barrel, I custom ordered it that way, swapped it out for their fluted national match 24".  That's where the problem came in.  I'm just looking for what you would expect/be willing to pay for something like that NIB.

Sorry again, I should have added all this when I wrote the first time.  

Gundraw
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:50:19 AM EDT
[#4]
GunDraw, if this is any help, I've been there a few times, but have learned that once I'm done with the deal (whatever it might be), as long as I'm happy with the product, it's water under the bridge and not look back.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Agreed, that is a very nice rifle you have.  Put a nice scope on it and tack tack tack your way to sub MOA.

Forget you posted this!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I custom ordered it that way
View Quote

Sweet.  Sounds nice.  Keep it and don't worry about what you paid.  It's too late now anyway.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#7]
See, that was MY philosophy.  I was like- screw frugal buying.  If I'm going to buy an AR, I'm going to by it with no reservations.  Hence the varminter setup with a chromy (for a little peace of mind, still wondering if that was the best move, giving up (arguably) a little accuracy for something a little longer lasting and durable ) and a few small accessories.

It's just that when the rifle arrived, I immediately noticed they had installed the gas block incorrectly, and there was a "mark" around a roll pin hole that looked very suspicious(like a crack) So, I had to pack the upper back off and send my baby back to Maine.  For some reason that kind of broke my spirits and I'm wondering if I played it stupid.

You're probably right.  I'm sure the minute I pull my upper back out of the box and get all my optics (bushnell 4200 6-24 w/Armalite one-piece [:D]) I'll probably think nothing more of it.

Thanks guys, I think you are all are probably right.[^]

Gundraw
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top