Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2014 2:28:47 AM EDT
I'm a big fan of the 605, I want one badly but can't get myself to cut down a good 20" barrel. I have a Bushmaster gov. profile dissy barrel, currently its on a Flat Top Upper with Colt M16A1 BCG, A2 handgaurds and black A2 Lower Receiver with A2 stock. I have a 604 upper sitting on my bench that I have no real plans for, spare A1 handguards, PG, brand new Type D stock and 3-prong FH, I already shaved the bayolug off, and I have a gray preban Essential Arms lower I can throw it on that's been sitting around collecting dust. So that being said, should I go retro with this setup even though the barrel contour from the FSB forward is wrong or leave it as a modern build? Having all the parts to pull it off just kind of came to me as I was looking through boxes for my Colt Fiberlite stock assembly.. (If you build it they will come) I swear they were telling me they need to be put together. LOL  
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:13:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd prolly go the dissy route for reliability purposes.  Maybe recontour it to save weight, looks, etc. or use as is.

Otherwise get one of the new 20" .625 barrels and have JT or adco cut it down.  Gas port may need to be tweaked.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:26:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I would gladly trade an HBAR 16" barrel for a 20" A2 Govt profile barrel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:02:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The ONLY reason I went with a rifle length gas system is because I bought a $200 upper with a barrel that was so pitted ahead of the FSB it looked as though it had been stored in the bilge of a boat. The bore was fine and it was a later chrome bore, so not collectable. The front sight post was rusted in place. I got the post to finally move (with the judicious and constant use of PB Blaster) and decided to see if Heatnbeat could bring it back to life as a 605. Well, he dang sure did.

BTW, I have a set of A1 handguards that I got from a member awhile back who cut out part of the heat shields to allow room for a cut down FSB to run a carbine gas Dissy 'Kino' setup. They are yours if you want them HipShOT. Just IM or email me your address. I think the carbine gas 605 is definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:26:26 AM EDT
[#4]
In my opinion, if you are wanting to build a 605 properly, a cut-down 20" barrel is the way to go. The original used a 15" barrel with a rifle length gas system. The gas port does need to be opened up just a bit for it to cycle properly, but there are guys to do that work for you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my opinion, if you are wanting to build a 605 properly, a cut-down 20" barrel is the way to go. The original used a 16" 15" barrel with a rifle length gas system. The gas port does need to be opened up just a bit for it to cycle properly, but there are guys to do that work for you.
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Morg IM sent.....Guys I know how and what I would need to build a 100% proper 605, I'm just trying to cobble together something very close with parts I have on hand. As it is now I have 2 barrels and a cracked Type C stock for John Thomas to fix and I really don't need to be spending anymore money at the moment modding barrels. I'd love to but I missed close to a month of work due to injury and instead of playing it safe I went out and bought a freaking M1 Carbine because I was going stir crazy sitting in the house.

BTW: Building this psuedo 605 gives me an excuse to start upgrading it when my other projects are finished.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

FIFY.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my opinion, if you are wanting to build a 605 properly, a cut-down 20" barrel is the way to go. The original used a 16" 15" barrel with a rifle length gas system. The gas port does need to be opened up just a bit for it to cycle properly, but there are guys to do that work for you.

FIFY.

Thanks Morg.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks Morg IM sent.....Guys I know how and what I would need to build a 100% proper 605, I'm just trying to cobble together something very close with parts I have on hand. As it is now I have 2 barrels and a cracked Type C stock for John Thomas to fix and I really don't need to be spending anymore money at the moment modding barrels. I'd love to but I missed close to a month of work due to injury and instead of playing it safe I went out and bought a freaking M1 Carbine because I was going stir crazy sitting in the house.

BTW: Building this psuedo 605 gives me an excuse to start upgrading it when my other projects are finished.
View Quote

Did you?
I don't recall seeing photos.  
If there's one thing we like pictures of besides old ARs, and girls with old ARs, and rusty Jeeps, and old shotguns, and girls with old ARs, and retro pistols, and girls with old ARs...it's M1 Carbines.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Will,
I laways build with what's on hand so I can enjoy my build / spare parts instead of leaving them boxed up or collecting dust and then swap with more accurate pieces as they become available. I do enjoy constantly swapping parts as once dialed in my AR's get kinda boring to shoot when you know where it's gonna hit most every shot.  Not much of a challenge IMO but it's not supposed to be either.

Personally I like the rifle system better but a carbine system will probably be more reliable as stated until tweaked and as you know,  myself and another memeber here prefer rifle stocks on our carbines.  Just seems to be a no brainer to me for smooth flawless function.  Maybe it's just the carbine components I've purchased but mine shoot kinda volatile and are hard on internals in comparrison to my rifles upon maintenance inspection and comparrison for identical rounds fired through each.

What's not to love about a 605?  About as sexy as a carbine length barrel AR can get IMO.

Morg,  You had a chance to shoot yours yet?  How is it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I finally got time and called a friend to go shoot, and he told me that the woods are closed to shooting because of high fire danger. Once we get some rain in another month or so (they call it the monsoon season here - seriously, as if it's anything like a monsoon.) they'll open the forest again to shooting. I am all hot an bothered to shoot the thing now. Think I got hired today, and will be spending the first check on more ammo!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I finally got time and called a friend to go shoot, and he told me that the woods are closed to shooting because of high fire danger. Once we get some rain in another month or so (they call it the monsoon season here - seriously, as if it's anything like a monsoon.) they'll open the forest again to shooting. I am all hot an bothered to shoot the thing now. Think I got hired today, and will be spending the first check on more ammo!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Morg308- you calling them thar woods, or forests, or something, anyway, are you in eastern Az, or up north Flag way? Or in between, lol. I used to go to Morenci and head north on 666, up to 40, then back to Flag, and 17 back to Phx/Mesa. I used to go shooting outside of Phx all the time, but last I was out there, it is all built up. maybe 2003 or 4. Cant remember for sure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Think I got hired today, and will be spending the first check on more ammo!

Way cool.  Glad you found work.  I got hired by a screwball outfit out of FLA about a month ago  called Battery USA and just got word yesterday that I have no work for three weeks.  That's after they got me to do a bunch of heavy battery work that envolved quite a few flights of stairs.  Not good for 50 plus year old knee's manually carrying 100 plus lb batteries or to mention I was working for less coins than I've made since 1986.  

Sure will be glad when the current regime get's ousted and possibly the economy can again become a major concern.  Until back to work I'm reloading between 20-40 rds every evening depending on mood.  Still 150 - 200 per week or such.  Could do more but I've stockpiled more than a few K for plinking and really just using my best brass and big coin bullets right now for potential coin making ammo.  

I've been getting constant e-mails from the shooting supply companies (Mid-South,  Natchezss, etc) with some pretty decent ammo deals.  Saw some M-193 for 32 cents a pop per 1K which is less than I paid for a bunch of my factory ammo stash.  I can actually reload more accurate plinker ammo for approximately 25 cents per round but I also have the brass and have to do the labor.

Can't wait for 605 shooting report.  I'll probably or really like to build one similar as my next retro project if and when I get back on my feet.  It's gardening season right now also so shooting field is full of crops.  I don't enjoy shooting in the heat of summer as much as spring or fall anyway.  Too many snakes,  ticks and such not to mention lots of sweat and I'm sure it's much cooler here than there.

I was recently given a Lee reloading kit for free that I'll probably never use as I'm kinda partial to the RCBS Rockchucker and their reloading components.  Not much difference in the two IMO.  Scales were broken and no dies (I did get 7mm magnum die).  No 7mm magnum rifle.  Still a hand primer, press,  powder shaker and a few brass prep tools.  Was the thought that counted.  Nice gift.  I may buy another  comp die and set it up but it will probably never happen.  

Big plus one for the 605 and hope it shoots great.  Apologies Will,  as I felt like a little retroish BS.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Think I got hired today, and will be spending the first check on more ammo!

Way cool.  Glad you found work.  I got hired by a screwball outfit out of FLA about a month ago  called Battery USA and just got word yesterday that I have no work for three weeks.  That's after they got me to do a bunch of heavy battery work that envolved quite a few flights of stairs.  Not good for 50 plus year old knee's manually carrying 100 plus lb batteries or to mention I was working for less coins than I've made since 1986.  

Sure will be glad when the current regime get's ousted and possibly the economy can again become a major concern.  Until back to work I'm reloading between 20-40 rds every evening depending on mood.  Still 150 - 200 per week or such.  Could do more but I've stockpiled more than a few K for plinking and really just using my best brass and big coin bullets right now for potential coin making ammo.  

I've been getting constant e-mails from the shooting supply companies (Mid-South,  Natchezss, etc) with some pretty decent ammo deals.  Saw some M-193 for 32 cents a pop per 1K which is less than I paid for a bunch of my factory ammo stash.  I can actually reload more accurate plinker ammo for approximately 25 cents per round but I also have the brass.

Can't wait for 605 shooting report.  I'll probably or really like to build one similar as my next retro project if and when I get back on my feet.  It's gardening season right now also so shooting field is full of crops.  I don't enjoy shooting in the heat of summer as much as spring or fall anyway.  Too many snakes,  ticks and such not to mention lots of sweat and I'm sure it's much cooler here than there.

I was recently given a Lee reloading kit for free that I'll probably never use as I'm kinda partial to the RCBS Rockchucker and their reloading components.  Not much difference in the two IMO.  Scales were broken and no dies.  Still a hand primer, press,  powder shaker and a few brass prep tools.  Was the thought that counted.  I may buy another  comp die and set it up but it will probably never happen.  

Big plus one for the 605 and hope it shoots great.
View Quote

Actually it's been in the 70's and 80's here with close to zero humidity - just perfect. Wish we'd get some rain though. The really good news is, the work is pretty easy in comparison to what I've been doing, and the folks are big 2nd amendment people - we were talking guns at the interview. One of the questions was how I felt about having concealed handguns in the truck or wearing one. I have a feeling it's going to be a lot of fun working with these people. I know the 605 works, because Jerrell tested it as he does all his 605 builds to make sure they function. I just know I'm gonna love shooting it. Stopped at my FFL's today on the way home to pick up an old Ranger .22 (Marlin 80) I picked up cheap, and we got talking AR10s. Next thing I know he pulls out a real, military M110 (SR25) signed on the stock by Reed Knight! Being able to shoulder that badboy and look through the scope really made my day! Problem is, now I WANT ONE. What a singularly badass piece of weaponry that is.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd put all those pieces together and make me a "close enough for now gun," then replace stuff later as finances improved... if it bugged me enough.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Jerrell tested it as he does all his 605 builds to make sure they function.

I knew this was just trying to keep under the hat.  Not many out there who weren't more than pleased with HnB's work and most doing similar would really have to step up a bit to follow that example.  Not difficult just boils down to integrity over the almight coin.

SR-25 signed by R Knight.  Doesn't get much better than that.  I started building AR platform .223/5.56 rifles many moons ago with the idea I'd use it as a stepping stone to do .308's.  Just never happened yet.  Probably sell one of my nicer builds to cobble one together at some point in time.  I usually use my 6.5 Swede if I have to make a difficult shot.  Ranger 80 was a great squirrel gun.  I've got a Marlin 60 for my .22LR needs that I bought new and a Springfield 87C that was my dad's.  Bought two Ruger 10/22's NIB with x-mas bonus years ago I've never even loaded a mag for and probably never will.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Did you?
If there's one thing we like pictures of besides old ARs, and girls with old ARs, and rusty Jeeps, and old shotguns, and girls with old ARs, and retro pistols, and girls with old ARs...it's M1 Carbines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you?

ENJOY CMP IBM M1 Carbine with replacement CMP stock, No Import marks..... came with 6 mags, 4 15's and 2 30's, sling, oiler, 100 rounds of ammo, original stock double mag pouch. $850.00 OTD  

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

ENJOY CMP IBM M1 Carbine with replacement CMP stock, No Import marks..... came with 6 mags, 4 15's and 2 30's, sling, oiler, 100 rounds of ammo, original stock double mag pouch. $850.00 OTD  
<a href="http://s236.photobucket.com/user/whiskey_024/media/IMG_09182.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/whiskey_024/IMG_09182.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you?

<a href="http://s236.photobucket.com/user/whiskey_024/media/IMG_09182.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/whiskey_024/IMG_09182.jpg</a>

Nice looking carbine, looks like it has all the late upgraded features.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, damn nice carbine! I love M1 carbines. HGs went out today BTW. I didn't trim the heatshields, just got them from a guy who did. I was going to cut them down to carbine length, but figured you needed them worse.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, it's definately been refurbed prolly to push back into service, not many matching numbers and it's obvious it's been gone through and had parts replaced. Was thinking the stock broke during training or in the field and it was shelved and overhauled.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Just gotta get me another M1 carbine...or twelve. Love the damn things. If I were rich I'd own 100 of them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just gotta get me another M1 carbine...or twelve. Love the damn things. If I were rich I'd own 100 of them.
View Quote

I've always wanted one but never went through with it. A few years ago a had a chance to buy a very nice 'bavarian' NPM carbine for about $700... I thought it was too high so I walked.

Had I only known what they would go for now. I'll probably never own one at this point because of the price, maybe I'm making the same mistake again, I don't know.

At least I can say I got my Garand for $625 3-4 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#22]
At least I can say I got my Garand for $625 3-4 years ago.
View Quote

I got mine from my Dad when he passed. It cost him $100 through the marksman program in the late 70', early 80's.  It was band new packed in 1944. The first thing he did after cleaning it was start shooting it.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Morg308- you calling them thar woods, or forests, or something, anyway, are you in eastern Az, or up north Flag way? Or in between, lol. I used to go to Morenci and head north on 666, up to 40, then back to Flag, and 17 back to Phx/Mesa. I used to go shooting outside of Phx all the time, but last I was out there, it is all built up. maybe 2003 or 4. Cant remember for sure.
View Quote

I'm between Sedona and Flagstaff.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I also have an early Winchester M1 Carbine without a bayolug, early features, etc.. that my dad bought for $300.00 in the 90's and gave to me for XMAS when I was 13 or 14. I remember going with him to look at it and I asked if I was gonna get another gun for XMAS that year (prior year I got a NIB Ruger 10/22). I wasn't even interested in it at that point, I wanted a Mossberg 500E .410 pump shotgun and boy I'm glad he made that decision. (I got the .410 2 months later on my birthday). I still have all the guns my dad ever bought me, even a beat to hell Crossman 2100 Scoped BB gun, I got when I was 8.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I love the thought of throwing a 605 together. I hope to have a nice 605 in my collection to leave to my kids. Laughed on the BB gun, I've never sold one of my guns and have my Daisy BB also.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:44:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love the thought of throwing a 605 together. I hope to have a nice 605 in my collection to leave to my kids. Laughed on the BB gun, I've never sold one of my guns and have my Daisy BB also.
View Quote

Sentimental value, when I shoot one of the guns Dad bought me it's almost like we are back out in the woods setting up my old toys on a berm to blast away all over again.... I've had to rebarrel that 10/22 twice because I put tens of thousands of rounds through that gun being a dumb kid.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:46:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Hell, I thought that's what .22s were for.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hell, I thought that's what .22s were for.
View Quote

Oh, heck yeah... Lot's of fun with a couple Ramline 25 round mags, 500 Round Bricks of Remington green box (the brick of 10 individual 50 round little boxes) and a Ruger 10/22 on a nice spring day, shooting beer bottles with friends. Shot so many rounds through the mags over the years, the followers got worn down and eventually wouldn't feed properly, then BDM came out with their 10/25 mag, modeled after the old Eaton Supply 10/25 mags that snapped together and they were replaced.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top