Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 10:32:55 AM EDT
I ordered a gov't profile barrel and assembly from Bushmaster and a RRA upper receiver elsewhere for my first AR. Neither of those parts have arrived yet, but in the mean time I'm trying to figure out what tools I will need to install the barrel to my upper. I know I need a vice, and I already have that. But other than that, what other tools do I need and where can I buy them at?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Moly Disulfide grease (no graphite).
Barrel wrench
Torque Wrench (if you haven't done this before)
Either a barrel or Receiver block (Personally I prefer the Receiver block).
Hammer & pin punch to install the roll pin for the gas tube (roll pin punch is the best).

A copy of the -23&P which is downloadable from this site (click on the information button above).
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Gas tube wrench will save a lot of cuss words and maybe even your gas tube.  Carbon builds up around them and they can be a real b***h to get out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Very informative link, thanks.

Although now I'm starting to think that maybe it would just have been easier if I ordered my upper receiver from Bushmaster along with my barrel so they could assembly it for me. I would have paid alot extra for my upper from Bushmaster, but I would have saved myself the hassle of assembling this myself. My barrel from Bushmaster didn't ship yet, and I probably could call them and see if I can add an upper to my order.......But then again, it'll be a good learning experience if I just go ahead and assemble this thing on my own.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
But then again, it'll be a good learning experience if I just go ahead and assemble this thing on my own.....

I bought the tools a few years ago and I'm glad I did.  It WAS a good learning experience.  

Plus,  I just like to play with stuff.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#6]
It's far cheaper for them to build your upper if you factor in the cost of tools.

Not worth it IMHO for a single rifle.  It IS worth it if you plan on building more, or if you plan on doing all your future enhancements.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Intile posted a link to all the info you should need. I highly recommend the DPMS "Claw" receiver block over the clam shell type because of it flexibility.

So you going to Rutgers? I grew up right off of their campus in Piscatway. Right on Hoes Lane by the Rutgers golf course. Good engineering school but I wouldn't think you would be very popular there if you like AR's!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I know where that golf course and Hoes Lane is, I had classes over there many times....

I'm not a student there anymore, I graduated 3 years ago now.... how time flies......
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
...and yet the loans never shrink!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I know where that golf course and Hoes Lane is, I had classes over there many times....

I'm not a student there anymore, I graduated 3 years ago now.... how time flies......

Cool deal. Small world huh?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes it is.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top